Yeti Overland’s Tundra OVRLND Camper build

crolison

Observer
been meaning to update the post, so here we go.

Finished up the interior upper sides to cover up the insulation. I went with two rows of 4" self adhesive velcro. Super happy with how it turned out and the amount of storage i have now. For securing cargo i got a bunch of the perfect bungees. I used one of their bungee nets on the door to hold down light stuff like jackets, etc, actually on the drivers side door.

I also picked up a trasharoo.

IMG_1637.JPEGIMG_1638.JPEGIMG_1687.JPEGIMG_1688.JPEGIMG_1734.JPEGIMG_1735.JPEGIMG_1736.JPEGIMG_2053.JPEG

dstefan

Great build! Your previous Tacoma build was really impressive as well. I have an Ovrlnd camper on order from Jay currently. Since you’re the only one I know who has had one of these on both a Tacoma and a Tundra I’m hoping you could share a little bit about the differences in platform as I’m on the fence as to whether to keep the Tacoma (09, 73K miles perfectly built for the off-road we do) or buy a new to me Tundra for the camper.

it’s just me and my wife, but the Tacoma is a double cab short bed. Unfortunately I am 6’3” and I don’t love the Tacoma seats, and I occasionally need to get in and away from the winds for a period of time due to some asthma problems. Seems to me that the Tundra is going to be much more comfortable, as well as provide a better space to hang out if need be in the bed. It’s just really hard to think of giving up the Tacoma when it’s perfectly dialed in for us otherwise, and seems like it’s more capable (size/maneuverability/locker). I doubt we’d build it out as extensively as you did yours. We would gut the back seat for storage, but leave the fridge in the bed on a slide in either vehicle.

If you didn’t need to accommodate a child, and would have been satisfied with a more minimalist build, do you feel the Tacoma short bed gives enough room in the camper for two people? Have you felt the Tundra limits your off-road ability?
I’d sure appreciate any thoughts you have on the differences. Thanks!

crolison

Observer
Great build! Your previous Tacoma build was really impressive as well. I have an Ovrlnd camper on order from Jay currently. Since you’re the only one I know who has had one of these on both a Tacoma and a Tundra I’m hoping you could share a little bit about the differences in platform as I’m on the fence as to whether to keep the Tacoma (09, 73K miles perfectly built for the off-road we do) or buy a new to me Tundra for the camper.

it’s just me and my wife, but the Tacoma is a double cab short bed. Unfortunately I am 6’3” and I don’t love the Tacoma seats, and I occasionally need to get in and away from the winds for a period of time due to some asthma problems. Seems to me that the Tundra is going to be much more comfortable, as well as provide a better space to hang out if need be in the bed. It’s just really hard to think of giving up the Tacoma when it’s perfectly dialed in for us otherwise, and seems like it’s more capable (size/maneuverability/locker). I doubt we’d build it out as extensively as you did yours. We would gut the back seat for storage, but leave the fridge in the bed on a slide in either vehicle.

If you didn’t need to accommodate a child, and would have been satisfied with a more minimalist build, do you feel the Tacoma short bed gives enough room in the camper for two people? Have you felt the Tundra limits your off-road ability?
I’d sure appreciate any thoughts you have on the differences. Thanks!

Thanks,

Its all a size trade off. Tacoma was more comfortable on tight trails than the tundra, but everywhere else the size of the tundra doesn't really matter. The tundra double cab has more interior room and bed room. The tundra handles the weight of a fully built out shell better and fully loaded feels like it has more power than the Tacoma was stock.

So with owning two i would say i do like the Tundra better. Though the Tacoma would be adequate for two people traveling, i would call it "cozy" compared to the Tundra. Even with building out the Tundra almost the same extent as the Tacoma it feels like it has twice the room in the bed and inside. Tacoma still has a queen size bed area. The MPG in the tacoma is better, but not by much (1-2mpg realistically), i get 10-15 in the tundra, and got 12-17 in the Tacoma. I am interested in the mpg driving across I-80 or 90 next time we go to Michigan, with the open road and being windy i bet the tundra and taco get the same mpg.

A downside to the tundra is cost to modify, they are generally more expense for most everything and less knowledge base on modifying them beyond "level" kits.

dstefan

Thanks! That’s all very helpful. I’m pretty much resigned to making the change.
Tacoma was more comfortable on tight trails than the tundra, but everywhere else the size of the tundra doesn't really matter.
Do you find it’s width and turning radius or more break over and departure on tight trails? Wheelbase is my biggest concern, I think. It’s handleable to some degree, I guess with larger tires, removing the hitch and high clearance bumpers — same as my Tacoma, just less fixable. I’ve even thought about a Titan king cab (I know, I know …) for the 139” wheelbase and a little bit the locker.

Are you contemplating 35s? Or, do you think 33s will suffice?
A downside to the tundra is cost to modify
Boy howdy! Its been sticker shock for me researching Tundra mods. Doesn’t help the cost at all, but living in Phoenix, at least we have SDHQ here who are great with knowledgeable Toyota mods for off road. I’m past that level of wrenching and modding at this point.

I have a winch on the Tacoma, but it’s been so capable with lift, suspension, MaxTrax, bumpers and tires, that I’ve never had to use it off road, and I do some pretty difficult trails. With the lack of a locker, did you feel a winch was critical for the Tundra? I’m wondering about putting that money into an ARB locker instead — something I use a fair amount in the Tacoma, plus we don’t have such good winch anchors most places I go.

Thanks again for your feedback!

crolison

Observer
Thanks! That’s all very helpful. I’m pretty much resigned to making the change.

Do you find it’s width and turning radius or more break over and departure on tight trails? Wheelbase is my biggest concern, I think. It’s handleable to some degree, I guess with larger tires, removing the hitch and high clearance bumpers — same as my Tacoma, just less fixable. I’ve even thought about a Titan king cab (I know, I know …) for the 139” wheelbase and a little bit the locker.

Are you contemplating 35s? Or, do you think 33s will suffice?

Boy howdy! Its been sticker shock for me researching Tundra mods. Doesn’t help the cost at all, but living in Phoenix, at least we have SDHQ here who are great with knowledgeable Toyota mods for off road. I’m past that level of wrenching and modding at this point.

I have a winch on the Tacoma, but it’s been so capable with lift, suspension, MaxTrax, bumpers and tires, that I’ve never had to use it off road, and I do some pretty difficult trails. With the lack of a locker, did you feel a winch was critical for the Tundra? I’m wondering about putting that money into an ARB locker instead — something I use a fair amount in the Tacoma, plus we don’t have such good winch anchors most places I go.

Thanks again for your feedback!

I havent found the turning radius that much of a difference, maybe having to stop and reverse when the swb taco could barely squeeze by. It is the approximate wheelbase of a double cab long bed Tacoma though.

My grandpa has a titan king cab and the tundra and it feels a bit "nimbler" than his, but his is the diesel.

I When i bought the truck in Tennessee i need to put tires on before i would drive it back to Denver, so 33s it is. The nice thing is the 285/75/18 tire size a "skinny" 35. I may go 35s next, but if i do that i'll probably want to regear, and if i regear i'll do a rear locker, etc, etc downward slope. Its funny with this truck and the weight and 33s its the first truck ive had where i thought the power was still good with the modifications. I have regeared most of the toyotas i've owned, hell i want to regear my daily driver 2000 4runner on 31s.....

I want to feel out the stock a trac system first before i commit to a locker. I need to do the hardest type of trails i'll do first. I wasn't going to go with an arb compressor for the on board air, but went that direction in case i was going to add an arb later down the road. During this initial owner ship time with my front and gas tank rci skid, and sliders i think i can push it a little harder if i am in a position to crawl up with a locker. If i won $2k on a scratcher i'd probably just drive it down to Slee and have them install one.

I would rather have the locker and not need it, etc. I also did the winch because it was half the price of the locker and that isn't counting installation.

dstefan

Thanks, that’s encouraging feedback. I still may consider 35s to start, hold the locker to see if the diff needs to be opened for one or both upgrades and then regear and add a locker if I find one or the other a problem. IMO the A-trac in the second gen Tacoma’s is good as is, and I probably mostly use my locker just to avoid problems. My wife’s SR5 '18 is nearly stock, so we don’t really wheel it much, but seems like the A-trac w/o a locker in it is really capable.

May just have to go with a winch to start along with suspension, tires and protection. Still can’t understand Toyota’s logic in no Tundra locker … sigh …

dstefan

Hey, I hope you’ve been enjoying your great camper build all summer!

I’ve pretty much come to the decision to buy a Tundra also for my Ovrlnd, and I am hoping you don’t mind answering a couple other questions.

I noticed that it appears your shell is mounted on top of the plastic bed rail caps. Is that right? Or is the bed rail cap removed and the camper mounted on an adhesive bulb seal directly on the sheet metal and that’s the black line I’m seeing in the pictures?

As far as I know Tundras have the same problem Tacomas do with a bunch of open cut outs in the sheet metal under the plastic bedrail cap. I’ve never had trouble with my current build because I use a hard tonneau cover that wraps around the caps. But I understand a lot of people with shells (eg, the Drifter guys) directly mounted on the plastic have some issues with dust and water incursion. Many have removed the caps and used the KB Voodoo replacement aluminum ones (with sealing tape to cover the voids). Sadly, they don’t make those for the Tundra.

Did you or Jay do something similar in mounting the camper? I’m probably gonna need to do something since we get into a heckuva Lotta dust since it’s so dry around here and in most of the places we go. Plus I’ve developed some asthma issues from years of desert dust and crappy Phoenix air.

terrie

Thank you for being so generous in sharing your build at Overland Expo Mountain West. I really like a lot of your design decisions and it was super helpful to be able to step inside.

dstock

Explorer
Great build out!

Regarding the jack brackets, have you had a chance to try them out? Looks like yours were added when the camper was built but isn't something Jay is offering. He did say they can be added after the fact. I'd be curious to see how they are attached as having the ability to take the camper on and off is a dealbreaker for me.

Any info is appreciated!

Cbolin

Got a couple hours today to work on punching holes in the camper. Mounted my Powertank 10lb propane tank mount. Added in my bulkhead fitting for propane into the camper. Also added in my propex heater outlet into the camper, and finished that interior piece.

View attachment 569672View attachment 569673
How do you like your propex with the through hill fitting? Having any issues with your heating faulting due to the inlet and exhaust being so close?

Reactions: KDB

KDB

How do you like your propex with the through hill fitting? Having any issues with your heating faulting due to the inlet and exhaust being so close?
I was thinking the same. I have a 2211 propex left from a Van build out. Will be applying it towards my ovrlnd build. Anyone else with propex experience that can chime in? 18" separation is what propex recommends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles