Yeti coolers

BigAl

Expedition Leader
They are advertising these on the outdoor channel. They look pretty nice. They show one bouncing out of the back of a trruck. Does anyone have hands-on experience with them?
Link

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I was given a Yeti as a loaner for a trip. I thought it was pretty awesome, but then again, I can't say it really outperformed my $60 Coleman Ultimate Extreme. I will tell you the Yeti will outlast the Coleman by a factor of 10.

Honestly, I'm fed up with coolers in general. A good Yeti or Engle cooler will put you at $300 in a hurry. That's closing the gap on a fridge.

I will say the Yeti guys are extremly nice.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I cleaned out the garage a few weeks ago and threw out three 30 quart coolers, 2 colemans and an offbrand. They had a combo of problems including a bent lid, broken hinge, broken drain plug, and a broken handle. I put the 35 quart yeti on my x-mass list:)

I also serched yeti on this site an found some more user feedback

Last edited:

Speaker

Adventurer
We use Yeti's and Galaxy (Formerly icee-kool) on the river. With proper packing and usage (opening twice per day) They can both hold ice up to 16 days.

jbs

Observer
We use Yeti's and Galaxy (Formerly icee-kool) on the river. With proper packing and usage (opening twice per day) They can both hold ice up to 16 days.
x2. We have a Galaxy 80 qt. On a recent 6-week trip in NM, AZ, UT, CO, we ALWAYS got over a week of ice (we never really had to push it since ice was always easily available), but probably would have been able to get 2 weeks. Besides friendly, personal customer service, the cooler is VERY stout. In fact it seals so well, it really need a bleed valve because when going from high elevation to low, even with the latches undone, you can almost pick up the whole full cooler by the suction of the lid. It is pricey, but I like it for situations (other than vehicle travel) where the Engel is not well suited. I'm sure the Yeti and Engel are similar from what I've read.

cruisertoy

Explorer
There are a couple threads here about high end coolers. Yeti, Galaxy(iceekool) and Engel all make them. I own the Engel 65 qt. It may get used a little less now that I have my fridge. The Engel and the Yeti are almost identical. I really like the Galaxy. A little more rough around the edges, but a better latch system and the seem more stout. Most of the rivier runners that I know use the Galaxy as well.

Our business sells a lot of coolers, and we stock maybe fifty different models across six brands. The last three coolers I've bought for my own personal use have been Yetis. That should tell you something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles