Yet Another Skamper Build...

Bill_G_62439

Observer
Ok. Time to post some photos of the roof rebuild.

I decided I wanted the rebuild to be stronger than the original construction, although it lasted 23 years. The first thing I did was cut two slices about 1 1/2 inches apart across the roof where the aluminum strip joining the original panelling using a knife duct taped to a broom handle for reach. Then using the claw of a hammer, I removed the foam in between the two cuts, thus making the groove.

P8297966.JPG

In this photo, I glued down 1 x 1 1/2 strips using Weldwood Contact Cement. NO GOOD for this application. Plus, it eats foam BIG TIME! I had to later reglue everything with polyurethane glue.

P8297967.JPG

The framwork aroung the edges is also 1 x 1 1/2. I used 1/2" OSB for much of the reconstruction (which I probably regret later), but the original construction was 1/2" plywood. I started adding the perimeter framework in this pict. This is what the fabric sides are attached to later on.

2012-09-10_09-01-24_932.jpg

The sides of the roof "box" are 3 1/2" x 1". I stacked the OSB on top of each other and screwed them to each other to hold them until the glue cured. On the long sides, it is longer than 8', so I had to scab the sides together as was originally built.

2012-09-10_09-13-11_260.jpg

2012-09-10_09-08-06_897.jpg

This is the glue I used and seems to hold well.

2012-09-10_09-13-37_922.jpg

I failed to take any photos, but I used some clamps to hold the OSB to the side aluminum skin while the glue set. On the long sides, I also used a few screws along the same line where the awning rail goes on the outside, knowing it will be sealed later. Here's what it looks like when it's attached.

2012-09-10_09-01-47_29.jpg

2012-09-10_09-01-59_737.jpg

Uh oh! Problem encountered! When assembled, the sides are 1/4" thicker than the channel in the aluminum rails that go on the bottom edges.

2012-09-10_09-02-10_25.jpg

Solution! I fabricated a jig on the circular saw and notched the rabbeted the sides so the channels would fit. Worked like a charm!

2012-09-12_16-42-18_499.jpg

(I just wanted to use the word "rabbet" in a post!)

Bill_G_62439

Observer
Here's a shot of the rabbeted notch.

2012-09-12_16-42-50_999.jpg

Well into the project, I decided I wasn't happy with the center seam. There was a crack running lengthwise in the foam down the center. If you recall from previous picts, the roof had sagged quite a bit in the middle and strained the center seam.

P7187619.JPG

So I notched the foam out of the center of the roof.

2012-09-12_16-50-09_964.jpg

I found a considerable gap filled with moisture and dirt.

2012-09-12_16-50-18_996.jpg

I placed a sheet of OSB under the roof for support and went down the entire seam with a hammer flattening it back down. Then after wire brushing it well, I caulked it from what will be the bottom side when the roof is later installed (sorry, no pict). Then I replaced the foam using Great Stuff. (Note to self:Later project idea--build an entire TC out of duct tape and Great Stuff!)

2012-09-12_17-45-40_50.jpg

The OSB laying on the roof was used to support me while I was working in the middle of the roof. You can also see where I patched the foam from a Weldwood spill. I used a handsaw to trim the foam to the proper thickness after it had set up.

I wasn't sure exactly how long the OSB side pieces were supposed to be since mine were mostly rotted away, so I didn't want to glue the corners together and have the wrong dimensions to fit the camper beneath. So I temporarily attached the aluminum rails and used the corners to dictate how the sides should join together. A couple of ratchet straps and it's beginning to look like a roof again!

2012-09-12_18-30-48_616.jpg

Uh oh! Problem #2. The OSB end pieces are too short! There's a big gap! (Note to self: There must be a big gap between my ears to have even begun undertaking this project!)

2012-09-12_18-31-18_845.jpg

Solution: Simply glue a block of 1/2" OSB in the gap area. The glue says it expands to fill 3/8" gaps, so I decided to let it do its job! After installing the block and an "L" bracket on each corner (mine had "L" brackets on the original roof), the corners seem pretty solid.

2012-09-12_18-48-06_115.jpg

I also decided to shoot a couple drywall screws through each corner from the outside just to give it a little extra support. They will be covered with new corner caps later.

2012-09-12_19-05-21_870.jpg

The frame around the roof vent hadn't been dealt with yet, so I removed the rotten material there. The first layer I constructed like the original using strips around the opening, since I already had some scrap strips lying around. I used screws from the top side in the existing holes to hold them in place while the glue dried. Then the second layer I just used a 12 x 12 piece of OSB. I'll cut the hole out later with a reciprocating saw.

2012-09-12_22-23-56_976.jpg

Bill_G_62439

Observer
I used 1/4" OSB sheeting for paneling on the interior of the roof. After gluing it and using screws to hold it around the perimeter while it dried, I flipped the roof over and weighted it down with chunks of wood for the night so the glue would cure and the foam would be attached to the OSB beneath. (Btw, the foam was NOT glued to the OSB later.)

2012-09-12_23-10-12_320.jpg

Here it is yesterday morning, flipped back over and being given a coat of primer to ready it for paint. I thought about leaving the OSB unfinished, but want some light color for reflective purposes since everything else in the camper is dark.

2012-09-13_10-26-54_489.jpg

I still have to reattach the aluminum side rails, install the roof vent and fabricate some corners from fiberglass, but the hard part of the roof is done, in my opinion.

I hope this build thread is of some value to others and can help answer questions, especially when it comes to roof issues on pop-ups.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Wow BILL!! Well Done! :clapsmile Other Skamper folks are going to appreciate the picts. Hope you get to use that bad boy for camping soon!

Bill_G_62439

Observer
A couple more shots--here's what it looks like after a couple of coats of paint on the inside of the roof:

227.jpg

Those are the wires for the lights sticking out.

And here's a preview of the next part of the project--new fiberglass corners!

229.jpg

eugene

Explorer
I think yours was the first I have seen that was worse than mine.
for some reason they seemed to think that paneling would hold these together. Its like gluing the frame to a page in a book, rip that one thin layer off and there is nothing else to hold.
I glued my frame together and glued plywood on both sides, its solid.

Bill_G_62439

Observer
Fiberglass Skamper Corners

Sorry for the delay with an update. Work and family have been getting in the way of pleasure (if that's what a Skamper rebuild is called!). One of these days I'll get my priorities sorted out, tho!

Here's that teaser photo I posted a few weeks back of the beginning of a replacement corner:

2012-09-14_22-09-12_265.jpg

I had never worked with fiberglass before, but I need to learn since I have a surfboard that I picked up in Seattle this summer that now needs repair. (Yes, I'm the founding and only member of the Southern Illinois Surf Club!) I picked up a little book at The Surf Shop in Westport, WA that spells out everything so clearly that I thought I just might be able to lay some fiberglass. So, after $20 of supplies from my local Walmart, I took the remaining mostly complete corner, covered it with slick, clear packing tape for releasing purposes and mixed up my first batch of resin.

I'm happy with the results. Here's a pic of the corners at different stages. The one on the left is on the original corner "mold". The one on the lower right is the first hardened layer untrimmed. I trimmed them at that point since I could use a pair of scissors. Then I laid a second layer of glass and trimmed it when hard. The final coat was resin with a little paint mixed in for color, which didn't color it as much as I wanted. The upper right corner is complete with some of my torn glove stuck to it.

2012-09-16_18-18-40_57.jpg

Here they are stacked and ready for a final trim. They are pretty crude, but good enough for my use. I'm usually kind of a perfectionist on matters like this, but I decided these were OK as they ended up. I haven't installed them yet, but I believe the corners mainly keep the weather out and serve very little structurally. With enough silicon caulk beneath them, they should do the job.

2012-09-26_10-42-19_86.jpg

And here's a final photo of the roof back on the Skamper:

2012-09-22_11-53-16_750.jpg

I put some of that same packing tape on the corners in the meantime to keep out the rain we're finally getting that doesn't want to stop here in the midwest. AND the new roof rebuild IS ALREADY SAGGING! So I'm going to reinforce it from the inside. (Boy, these things were built LIGHT!) I'll update the reinforcement job when I do it.

I'm not sure I'll ever be camping in this Skamper this fall. I'm thinking about just getting an easier, less expensive project, like an old boat that leaks with an outboard motor that doesn't run!

If you're considering repairing/restoring your TC, GO FOR IT! You may not know what you're doing when you begin, but you will learn as you go. And share your results with us!

Thanks for tolerating my ramblings, Bill

Last edited:

Bill_G_62439

Observer
Sorry I hadn't posted for a while. The Skamper is on the back burner for a while. I was hoping to have it "campable" for whitetail deer season in Southern Illinois, but that hasn't happened. I have also been sidetracked with rebuilding the engine on my '68 Beetle, so that has filled any free time I've had.

However, I intended to get these posted. When I rebuilt the roof, I wanted to take the stress off the plywood, or OSB in my case. I believe I saw another thread where this method was used, so it's not my original idea.

A brief explanation is that I decided to use a piece of angle iron from an old bed frame to connect the torsion bar brackets at the back corners of the roof so the stress would be on the angle iron instead of directly on the roof.

The first two photos are the brackets removed from the torsion bar assembly and a short piece of angle iron has been bolted to it.

183.jpg

184.jpg

Below is a shot of the center section of angle iron ready to bolt to one end. The slotted end was already there from the adjustable bed frame. This made it easy to fit to the width of the roof.

185.jpg

Here it is installed. It was also fairly easy to rotate the brackets into place with the bars having been attached. And for the first time, the roof was easy to crank!

186.jpg

This may be a solution to your roof issues. It sure helped with mine!

eugene

Explorer
Is your roof sagging in the middle? Mine only had a frame around the edges so I peeled the skin off and put two 1x3"s across. One where the front supports mount. I intentionally bought boards that were bowed and put them with the bow upward so to help prevent sagging.

Bill_G_62439

Observer
eugene, using the bow of a board to your advantage is a great idea! I'm going to have to do something to invert the sag in the roof pretty soon. We've had a lot of precipitation lately in Southern Illinois and the center seam has a slight leak. It's not enough that I want to mess with it in the freezing cold right now. I'll post the results when it warms up enough to be able to tackle it.

Stereo

Adventurer
Skamper roof unevenness

The rebuilds you and others have done on your roofs have given me the courage to tackle my "minor" Skamper roof problem. I hope all of you experienced in roof re-builds can help me. The damage I have is minor but the cause of my problem isn't clear to me.

(I hope it's OK to tag onto your post. I thought it might be good to have answers on roof rebuilds all in one spot.)

Last year, over winter storage, the back metal trim piece (with the lights) began to separate from the plywood. I think the dirt under the opposite corner corner sunk a bit and put extra stress on the hold-down at my problem corner. The hold-down kept the side from torquing up but the back piece DID lift up for some reason, even though I had the roof down which I presume would be the position with the least tension on the lift bracket.

Rear lift.jpg

For the life of me, I couldn't understand how the trim pieces along the bottom of the roof could still be on the same level but the sides were on a different level while the roof looked flat. However, after I took the corner piece off (which is made of metal, not plastic like the ones I've seen others duplicate with fiberglass. I think my Skamper is older than the ones I've seen rebuilt on EP), I saw that the rear plywood was a good inch higher than the side plywood at the corner. The boards weren't screwed together. Their only union seemed to be the L-brackets on the inside faces. And it appears the rear plywood had been under stress for some time because the grain on the plywood is actually arched a bit and the L-brackets are torqued and not on the same level along the side and rear. The end of the rear plywood doesn't have much integrity and has some rot but the other areas are solid.

Uneven plywood sides.jpg
Interior L brackets.jpgBent brackets.jpg

Before I fix the back board, I need to know why the boards aren't working in tandem. I'm wondering if the lift mechanism is pushing "too" hard on the rear, but why doesn't the side move with it? And why would it be putting extra stress (if it is) on the rear in the closed/relaxed position?

The lift mechanism was worked on by a previous owner (note the cut areas where the bolts pass through) and shows some stress because the vertical bars are bent towards the read. However, the height of everything including the bolt/pivot location matches the other side within 1/4" so it doesn't seem like that's the problem. Still, it's always been a real bear to drop the roof; I have to pull in with all my weight to get that side to start to scissor. (Is that typical? I haven't been in other Skampers.) I don't know it that's suggestive of an alignment problem.

Front bowed support.jpgTorqued rear support.jpg

I don't think you can see it in the photo earlier, but that L-bracket on the rear is flush with the top of the plywood, but it's higher than the top of the side plywood. II would think the bracket should be at the same height on both boards. It almost seems like the main L-bracket has been bolted at the wrong height on the side though I don't see evidence of any rebuild except for an occasional drywall screw on the back from underneath that a former owner must have used to try and hold things together.

Here are the questions that I hope will help me fix this:

1) Do you have any ideas what's causing my two sides to be at different heights?

2) I love the bed rail reinforcement idea. When you re-fastened the L-brackets, how did you determine where to position/bolt it? Did you have the roof up or down?

3) Since most of the plywood is in good shape, do you think I could just cut the bad end off and replace just that section? I'd use lamello wafers, poly glue, and a metal reinforcement, perhaps like your bed rail. And since there's two layers of plywood, I would offset the cut (joint) location. Or do I need the strength of a full-length piece?

4) Like yours, my roof is constructed of an outer aluminum skin, inner core of foam insulation (of a density similar to styrofoam), and the ceiling board. What I don't understand is how the outer rim of plywood is attached to the skin and foam. The trim piece that goes all the way around is screwed to the plywood and overlaps the aluminum a little bit to cover the edge. But what holds the aluminum and the foam to the plywood? The small area I opened up doesn't suggest that the aluminum is glued to the plywood originally though that's been done on the re-builds. But how is the aluminum originally secured to the plywood frame?

5) You warn about the "torque" in the lifter mechanism but say there's no spring inside. If I support the roof with T-braces from inside, won't that take all the stress off the lifters, even if they're not fully extended? It seems like a simple scissor mechanism.

6) I unscrewed the rear trim piece but I'm having a heck of a time disengaging it from the skin because the caulk/mastic is so gummy (which may be my answer to Question 4). It's not like silicone that you can just slice off. Do you have any solutions for removing that stuff? And what did you use to seal that joint when you put the trim piece back on?

7) We have a hard time closing the roof because one corner is tight against the wall while the opposite side has more than enough room. Is there anything I can do during the rebuild to goose the roof over?

THANKS for any advice/suggestions you can give.

Last edited:

Bill_G_62439

Observer
Hello stereo!

It's just fine with me to post your roof rebuild questions here. In retrospect, this thread ought to be renamed "Skamper Roof Rebuild."

I'll take a stab at your questions. I had to have a couple cups of coffee just to digest it all :coffee: You may want to grab a cup of coffee, too, before you begin reading, because this is lengthy.

1) Do you have any ideas what's causing my two sides to be at different heights?

A few things come to mind:

1. In one of your photos you refer to the bent arms that would adjust the fore-aft position of your roof. But what I noticed was the "scabbed" sections where the bolts pass through. They're the short section inserted and perhaps riveted in place. I'm guessing that the roof height has been an issue with a previous owner and this adjustment may have been made to compensate for something else. This would really cause some geometrical issues, especially if one side is longer than the other.

2. I'm wondering if everything is symmetrical with the actual lift mechanism. I would measure the arm attachment point from each side of the crank to see if both sides are equidistant. If the lift mechanism unit has been apart at any time, it may not have been properly reassembled. I know mine came apart due to the bolts backing out right after I brought it home. When I reassembled it the first time, one gear was a tooth off from the other on the opposite side. It really threw things off.

This could be the reason for the scabbed sections and why you have to pull the arms in, if they are over extended.

3. If the torsion rods are not set equally, it may be skewing everything else (see 5 below). If you are having to pull one side in to lower the roof, the torsion rod may be working against you if it was reassembled improperly by a previous owner. The rods should cause the arms to naturally rotate to the inside of the camper.

2) I love the bed rail reinforcement idea. When you re-fastened the L-brackets, how did you determine where to position/bolt it? Did you have the roof up or down?

Thank you, but I can't take credit for the idea. And I believe it does take a lot of the stress off of the roof (I'll explain more in 3 & 5). I used a highly refined technique that I'll call "set the roof on and bolt it in place." I extended the roof to it's highest point and bolted it from there. I tried to use the old holes as a guide, but everything on mine was so out of skew it really didn't help all that much. If you use some sort of bracing system with the torsion bar brackets, I don't know that it will really matter at what height the roof is positioned.

3) Since most of the plywood is in good shape, do you think I could just cut the bad end off and replace just that section? I'd use lamello wafers, poly glue, and a metal reinforcement, perhaps like your bed rail. And since there's two layers of plywood, I would offset the cut (joint) location. Or do I need the strength of a full-length piece?

If you are going to use a metal reinforcement, you probably could get away with just replacing the ends as you described. However, I don't think it would be any harder, perhaps even easier, to replace the whole section on the back. I don't think you will have to remove the roof. I would suggest checking Paul's (SLO F250) thread for great instructions on how he did his. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/38813-Budget-Skamper-Fix-Build/page4 He's the inspiration behind this whole rebuild I'm trying to pull off :)

4) Like yours, my roof is constructed of an outer aluminum skin, inner core of foam insulation (of a density similar to styrofoam), and the ceiling board. What I don't understand is how the outer rim of plywood is attached to the skin and foam. The trim piece that goes all the way around is screwed to the plywood and overlaps the aluminum a little bit to cover the edge. But what holds the aluminum and the foam to the plywood? The small area I opened up doesn't suggest that the aluminum is glued to the plywood originally though that's been done on the re-builds. But how is the aluminum originally secured to the plywood frame?

Glue! And lots of it! While it may not look like it was originally glued, it was. That's all that is holding that roof together, well, for the most part. I tried to rebuild my roof just like it was originally produced by the manufacturer, so hopefully the photos in this thread can give you some ideas of what's inside there. The trim on the sides is held in place by screws into the plywood. That trim and the corner brackets give it the "box" shape and sturdiness. If you remove the corner brackets, the roof can be flattened into a sheet. Remove the trim and it can be bent and folded without much effort.

5) You warn about the "torque" in the lifter mechanism but say there's no spring inside. If I support the roof with T-braces from inside, won't that take all the stress off the lifters, even if they're not fully extended? It seems like a simple scissor mechanism.

While there is no coiled spring inside, there is a spring-steel rod with a hexagonal cut on each end that fits into the socket in the lifting frame on one end and the corner bracket on the other. When the roof is fully extended, the tension is relieved from the rod, but not fully relieved. When the roof is in its retracted position, it loads up the tension by twisting the rod.

In a sense, it is a simple scissor mechanism. But it also has the hidden torsion bar inside. That's what is causing the bent grain in you plywood. I believe it is also causing that unevenness between the side and the end. You will definitely want to have your roof fully raised to relieve any torsional stress before you remove any bolts from the corner brackets. Supporting the roof with a T-brace should work fine. I just used blocks of wood between the lifting mechanism and the roof.

Once you remove the bolts and have lifted the roof a bit, check to make sure the corner brackets are at the same angles. I'm guessing that they may not be, which would cause possible unequal pressure when lifting or retracting.

To remove the brackets, you will have to lift the rear of the roof a few inches and then slide the brackets out the rear. The torsion bar may or may not come out with them. When you reinstall them, remember to preload some torsion into them by placing them at an angle and then twisting them into place. This is kind of difficult, which is another reason I went with the angle iron. Remember, ratchet straps are your friends :)

Once you start reassembling everything, you'll understand the torque/torsion issue and that the rear section of the roof is under a lot of strain, especially when the roof is retracted, which is most of the time. The only thing structurally taking all that stress is the plywood. That's why I opted for some steel reinforcement. And I even used OSB. I has no torsional stress on it now.

6) I unscrewed the rear trim piece but I'm having a heck of a time disengaging it from the skin because the caulk/mastic is so gummy (which may be my answer to Question 4). It's not like silicone that you can just slice off. Do you have any solutions for removing that stuff? And what did you use to seal that joint when you put the trim piece back on?

Your solution is to give me your current Skamper and find one that has completely fallen apart. Well, that's how mine was when I brought it home. I actually had to throw some trim pieces inside it and stop on the way home to strap the roof back down so it didn't blow off!

An easier suggestion might be to try a utility knife with a sharp blade. Just go easy with it, take your time and don't slice the skin--yours or the aluminum!

When I put mine back together, I used a generous helping of clear silicone caulk. I'm sure there's better stuff out there, but that's what was available to me at the time.

7) We have a hard time closing the roof because one corner is tight against the wall while the opposite side has more than enough room. Is there anything I can do during the rebuild to goose the roof over?

My guess is that if you check out everything in 1-5, number 7 won't even exist. I think it's a torsional/geometric issue. My guess is that the roof has had issues before and a previous owner did his best to repair it, but just didn't get it quite right. It's not rocket science, but does take some patience and a lot of coffee breaks :coffeedrink:

Good luck, stereo! Let us know how it goes. And some of these other members may also have some great advice that I may have overlooked or from different experiences.

Oh, and I love those aluminum caps!

Last edited:

Stereo

Adventurer
Wow, Bill. Thanks a million for responding to my tome in such detail and so quickly. I have a lot to check on but now I have a much better understanding of how to go about it all. I did do some quick measurements of the driver and passenger side lift mechanisms; the vertical height of each section and the height of the pivot point are all within 1/4," but you've got me wondering if I'll ever be able to get the roof to operate smoothly if being off by just one tooth on the gears can throw things off.

One thing I didn't mention is that there's evidence that there was a focused hit to the rear of the camper on the side of the distorted lift (tree branch?). The vertical corner edge is straight but a vent cover was used to cover damage to the rear wall on the outside (fooled me; I didn't know better when I bought it) and the inside wall on the other side of that damage is cracked. Perhaps whatever impact caused the damage also caused the lift mechanisms to bend which might have led to the "scabbing." I don't think the roof itself sustained damage but as you've surmised, there's probably disproportionate tension from the lifters/torsion bar causing the separation and differential height at the corner.

Tomorrow, I hope to get all my projects thus far on my Skamper up on a build thread of my own. I've thrown up a few pictures over the last year and a half when I needed help (like now) but I owe a full report, especially as thanks to Paul who gave me lots of advice and even more ideas through his build thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior