Yet Another Bolt-Together Fiberglass Trailer Kit

jscherb

Expedition Leader
You may be familiar with my first fiberglass trailer design, it's patterned after a Jeep tub:

Overland1.jpg

I built that trailer for fun, but designed it so that it could be a production kit. The kit is on the market now, in the size shown above and a longer 6' 6" version. I'm not a vendor, and I'm not selling the tub kits - after I built my trailer I licensed the kit design to a company that's now selling them.

Over the last few weeks I've been working on a new fiberglass trailer idea, this one is patterned after the military M100/M416 trailers. I thought it would be cool to make a 4' long version of that type trailer that could be produced very inexpensively in fiberglass and bolted to a Harbor Freight Mini-Trailer, which typically can be bought for $200 or less on sale.

Here are a few concept drawings:

MiniM1.jpg

MiniM2.jpg

And I've built a prototype...

MiniM416Proto1.jpg

This prototype is 1/4 scale, so the tub is roughly 1' square, representing a full scale 4' square tub. I've made the prototype in fiberglass, the same way I'd mold a 1/1 scale version, to test the concept. The bolt heads are a little out of scale - these scale to roughly 7/16" bolts; the 1/1 scale assembly would probably be done with 5/16" bolts. Likewise the flanges on the parts are a little thicker than they would be on the 1/1 scale tub, it's hard to perfectly scale down the thickness of the fiberglass parts.

I've designed the tub to accept stock factory CJ and Wrangler tailgates. You could also assemble one with two solid end panels and no tailgate, if you didn't want a tailgate.

MiniM416Proto3.jpg

The tub quickly and easily bolts up to the HF Mini Trailer.

MiniM416Proto6.jpg

The model photos above show HF stock 12" wheel/21" tires that come with the frame. Here's a photo showing 31" tires on Wrangler 16" Moab rims, along with larger fenders. Upgrading the tires to 31" is pretty easy, by starting with the HF 4x8 1720-lb. capacity trailer frame, which has a 5-on-4.5 bolt circle on a 2000-lb. axle, and you could just leave out a few parts and built it in a 4x4 size instead of 4x8.

MiniM416Proto11.jpg

The way the tub is designed, it could also be produced in longer lengths, say a 6' long version, which would be the same length as the military M100/M416 trailers, so you could build your own "military" replica, or perhaps you could replace a beat-up and rusty tub on an original military. No reason the tub couldn't be produced in 8' lengths as well. I'm working on a 6' long (scale) model as well, which is the same length as the military M100/M416, I can post photos of that when it's done. Here's a model 6' frame built for it, patterned after the HF heavy duty frame.

HFTrailerFrames.jpg

And here are a few photos of the 6' version of the tub.

MiniM416-6-1.jpg

Because I painted this one olive drab, I put a smooth tailgate on it rather than a Jeep logo tailgate so I could put a star on the tailgate :).

MiniM416-6-2.jpg

The tongue box is a scale model of the Harbor Freight #65439.

MiniM416-6-3.jpg

Of course these tubs don't have to be put on a Harbor Freight frame, they could be put on any frame that's an appropriate size.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to take this project beyond the model stage and build molds for this in full scale.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Some photos of both versions together. The 4' version is sitting on the original Harbor Freight 12" wheels/21" tires, and the 6' version is sitting on 31" tires on Moab 16" wheels. The 4' version has the original HF fenders, and the 6' version has larger fenders to suit the larger tires.

MiniM416s1.jpg

MiniM416s2.jpg

MiniM416s3.jpg

en480c4

Observer
The only concern I'd have would be the tailgate opening. There's not a lot of material left in the bottom corners of the back panel with the cutout. I just finished putting the back panel back into my M100... It was cut out previously and converted into a tailgate. While it's a different case since my entire back panel was cut out, I was amazed at the flex and movement in the side panels. Ultimately this was why I went with the solution of eliminating the tailgate entirely instead of trying to retrofit a tailgate into a smaller opening. I would've worried that any significant loads inside the trailer that put outward pressure on the sides would've caused problems down the road. The old Bantam trailers had the back end squared off below where the sides step out, allowing for a signficant section to stiffen the back end. This might be an better solution since it's a mod that a lot of people seem to do to M100s and M416s when they cut tailgates in. It's also a good place to mount lights, etc.

I don't want to sound like I'm just being negative... I also don't work with fiberglass, so I don't know how well it migh hold up to those kind of forces. I'd be worried about cracking in that corner and maybe elswhere due to the flex. Just thought it was worth mentioning. Otherwise, it really does look like a great concept, and while I don't need one, I'll be following your progress.

Harald Hansen

Explorer
Well, I like it! Actually, I would like a GRP replacement tub on my rusty and dented licence-produced "Bantam", but I wouldn't mind using this either.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The only concern I'd have would be the tailgate opening. There's not a lot of material left in the bottom corners of the back panel with the cutout. I just finished putting the back panel back into my M100... It was cut out previously and converted into a tailgate. While it's a different case since my entire back panel was cut out, I was amazed at the flex and movement in the side panels. Ultimately this was why I went with the solution of eliminating the tailgate entirely instead of trying to retrofit a tailgate into a smaller opening. I would've worried that any significant loads inside the trailer that put outward pressure on the sides would've caused problems down the road. The old Bantam trailers had the back end squared off below where the sides step out, allowing for a signficant section to stiffen the back end. This might be an better solution since it's a mod that a lot of people seem to do to M100s and M416s when they cut tailgates in. It's also a good place to mount lights, etc.

My design has reinforcements embedded into the fiberglass to strengthen the corner of the rear panel to prevent the flex you're talking about. Additionally the design has reinforcements embedded around the top rim of the tub and braces at the corners. Most of these features are not in the models, didn't need the strength in small scale, although I did put the top rim reinforcement in the models.

If I build a full-size prototype and decide that my design reinforcements aren't enough, then I could always square off the rear panel as you say, but I don't think it will be necessary.

I don't want to sound like I'm just being negative... I also don't work with fiberglass, so I don't know how well it migh hold up to those kind of forces. I'd be worried about cracking in that corner and maybe elswhere due to the flex. Just thought it was worth mentioning. Otherwise, it really does look like a great concept, and while I don't need one, I'll be following your progress.

No problem, I welcome any and all feedback and input to help me refine the design. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Well, I like it! Actually, I would like a GRP replacement tub on my rusty and dented licence-produced "Bantam", but I wouldn't mind using this either.
The dimensions of the 6' version of this fiberglass tub are very close to the original Bantam M100 and later M416 trailers, I did that so these tubs could be used as replacement tubs for original military trailers whose tubs are too rusty to restore.

The two main dimensional deviations I made are the width of the top or the tub is just under 48", compared to the military tub's 49". I did this so an ordinary 4'x8' sheet of plywood could be used to make a hard cover for the tub. I've also made the height of the sides about an inch and a half taller than the original military trailers, to be a better height to support factory Jeep CJ/Wrangler tailgates. Other than that the rest of the dimensions are very close to the original military dimensions.

Matt

Adventurer
I think a fiberglass replacement tub for the M416/M100 is a great idea! I like that you can use a Jeep tailgate also!
Good thinking changing the width to 48".

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Plenty of M116 frames out there and a 48 x 96 size would work well.
Price would be the deciding factor for me.
It would be rust proof and water tight.
I like where you are going.

I have a frame ready if you need a test subject!

Attachments

• 197799_414403045265528_1440195103_n.jpg
    197799_414403045265528_1440195103_n.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC06617.jpg
    DSC06617.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 48

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Plenty of M116 frames out there and a 48 x 96 size would work well.
Price would be the deciding factor for me.
It would be rust proof and water tight.
I like where you are going.

I have a frame ready if you need a test subject!

So far I've made 1/4 scale models of 4' and 6' versions of the new tub design, but there's no reason an 8' version of the tub couldn't be built. Rather than mold some more parts to make yet another model, I did a quick edit of the photo of the 6' version to produce an 8':

M416-8.jpg

Here's the 6' for comparison:

MiniM416-6-1.jpg

The 8' version looks better than I thought it might, so I guess if I decide to build molds to make full-size versions of this tub maybe I'll make the side panel mold 8' long so it can make any length trailers up to 8'. The way the molds/parts are designed and the way the trailer is designed to assemble, the side panels can be trimmed to make any length tub desired, up to the maximum length of the mold.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
A 6' tub on a 8' frame would work well too!
A battery box, fuel area, fire wood storage, the possibilities are endless.
You could cut the M116 frame off to 6' and that would be one stout trailer.
Keep us posted I am interested.

richxd87

Observer
This sounds like a great idea!

What are everyone's thoughts on these HF trailers? Any need to upgrade axle components when adding larger wheels and tires? How do they pull?

Regarding the 6' HF trailer, is that a chopped down 8'er or is there a 6' model I'm not seeing?

Richard

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This sounds like a great idea!

What are everyone's thoughts on these HF trailers? Any need to upgrade axle components when adding larger wheels and tires? How do they pull?
The 4' trailers have a sheet metal u-channel axle that I wouldn't recommend for larger tires. The 1720-lb. capacity 4x8 trailer has a 2000-lb. axle and 5-on-4.5 hubs (matches the TJ/YJ) I'm running that on my black Jeep-tub trailer with 31" tires. For my usage, that's fine, for more severe usage you might want to think about a 3500-lb. axle.

My black Jeep-tub trailer rolls along great.

Regarding the 6' HF trailer, is that a chopped down 8'er or is there a 6' model I'm not seeing?

Richard
It would be a modified 1720-lb. 8', shortened to 6', with the extra parts used to strengthen the frame and make a center backbone. I can post some drawings showing how the frame would be reconfigured if people are interested.

Last edited:

richxd87

Observer
It would be a modified 1720-lb. 8', shortened to 6', with the extra parts used to strengthen the frame and make a center backbone. I can post some drawings showing how the frame would be reconfigured if people are interested.

That'd be excellent if you don't mind. Also, can the hubs be changed on the 8ft trailer to accommodate a 6x5.5 lug pattern?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94