Yet another 109 build Thread

Yorker

Adventurer
Im not sure Alaska Spring heats there springs and builds enough to have a quality product? I have used them years ago with not good results and have seen several of there springs fail!

I cant afford on this build to have a spring fail as it will be traveling 1000s of miles away from home!

In the old days leafsprung LRs would often bring at least 2 spare main leafs in case they ran into such a problem. Sometimes you see them mounted to the front bumper in old films.

aka rover

Adventurer
In the old days leafsprung LRs would often bring at least 2 spare main leafs in case they ran into such a problem. Sometimes you see them mounted to the front bumper in old films.

Yea I have seen that on some vintage pics, I Just want to make sure I start with somthing good and lesson my chances of having a problem.

tacr2man

Adventurer
I dont know what sort of final all up weight you intend travelling with but would make a suggestion that you look at aeon rubber spring helpers (they replace your bump stops ). Two reasons , they only come into play when loaded above weight of springs that you set up for normal travel . The second and big plus is that they virtually eliminate broken springs , which is usually caused by the impact reversal (whiplash effect) of a big impact. I tested this inadvertently , by crossing a hidden 2 foot wide ditch at about 20mph in a 109 which was quite heavily loaded (many years ago) . They also allow you to get a reasonable ride when not fully loaded in expedition mode! They require no maintenance and are very long lived . I have no connection with the firm, other than as a satisfied customer over three decades! .

aka rover

Adventurer
Well I have gotten a bit further on the project, Installed a 16" electric fan, oversize oil cooler, got the clutch bled and the powersteering topped off and ready to start.

Thanks to Repete I have a air box mounted and ducted to the turbo, I will later on install a snorkel.

I ended up going with a griffin aluminum radiator and mounting it the frame rather than the radiator support.

fenders and grill installed most all underhood items are done and ready to run! I will mount the glow plug controller and finish the headlight wireing and move to the front doors and interior. All body parts are painted except the rear doors and the roof panel, looks like I need to get the shovel out and dig out roof so it can thaw and I can prep it for paint.

Its starting to look like a Rover finallyView attachment 90934View attachment 90933View attachment 90932View attachment 90940016.jpg015.jpg006.jpg007.jpg001.jpg!View attachment 90931View attachment 90939View attachment 90938View attachment 90937View attachment 90936View attachment 90935

Attachments

• 028 (3).jpg
    028 (3).jpg
    351 KB · Views: 17
  • 034 (2).jpg
    034 (2).jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 031 (2).jpg
    031 (2).jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 17

aka rover

Adventurer
Hers a few more pics Im going to be doing the finishing touches on front end and move my way back towards the rear! Im really getting excited to do the interior but I must wait and go front to rear or at least thats what I tell myself!026 (3).JPG022.jpg019.jpg

repete

Observer
Man, this truck is turning out amazing! I'm stoked that I was able to stop in to see it in person! Still can't get over how far it's come.

aka rover

Adventurer
Thanks Pete!!

Got a bit more done tonight, Kathryn got all the marker lights in and tested she learned how to use the power probe tonight.

I talked to Brian from ROAM offroad and these guys just keep the ball rollin!! they are now making 10 and 24 spline series axles!! they are putting a 10 year warannty on them.

I have allready put my order in and will be using there axles in the 109 and there drive flanges that they are doing in the near future. I got the chance to hear about some other exciting things they are doing!! For all you Series guys ROAM has some cool things coming our way!!

I just want to say I have no affiliation with them, but like to see small shops make a go of it! .

aka rover

Adventurer
I have now installed the OD i got from Ike its a NOS toro and came in a 1984 box. Ike alos got me a few hard to find pieces including a nada tunnel cover and a tool mounting kit.

Here is a few pics of what I have been up to.

I built a drag link by cutting drilling and tapping a tie rod to fit the power steering conversion, thanks repete for the tap to do the job.

I also installed the OD! it was so cool to pull a OD out of a box dated dec 22 1984, I know its an old OD but I will run it till it dies and then do a 5spd conversion.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    509 KB · Views: 22
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    502.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    325.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    373.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    348.3 KB · Views: 19

aka rover

Adventurer
Thanks

Its from a old 911 race car I used to have. I do have a 71 911 project on the back burner but it is geting a 3.2 ltr motor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior