Yet another 109 build Thread

aka rover

Adventurer
So far the hinges have been the most work as far as painting goes!

I dont know if you can tell but I slightly flared the fenders and cut them 2" for extra tire clearance. How I flared them was when I rolled the fender lip I tapperd it to have less lip on the center most portion of the arch. Unless you are a rover type I dont even think it will be noticed.
Well this is my update not alot but its moving forward.

022 (2).JPG
015 (2).JPG
024 - Copy.JPG

James86004

Expedition Leader
Nice hinges! I really should spend some time making mine look that good. And also making the doors close consistently.

Snagger

Explorer
Man good job on your build lots of good ideas on your build for sure!

The hubs are free wheelers can you explain shock absorbing hubs? not sure ive seen anything like this.

Ashcroft Transmissions and maybe KAM Diffs used to make hub flanges with a similar shape to your FWH which had a star sectioned internal piece attached to the half shaft and intermeshing fins on the inside of the drum. Essentially, they were like very loose splines. Between the fins of the shaft and the fins of the drum are polyurethane fingers. This allows a good deal of torque shock loading to be absorbed by the polyurethane inserts, saving the metal parts from fractures or wear.

aka rover

Adventurer
Nice hinges! I really should spend some time making mine look that good. And also making the doors close consistently.

Thanks

My significant other striped and preped the hinges! she did a great job right down to bare metal, epoxy primed and painted. I hope they last awhile.

Ashcroft Transmissions and maybe KAM Diffs used to make hub flanges with a similar shape to your FWH which had a star sectioned internal piece attached to the half shaft and intermeshing fins on the inside of the drum. Essentially, they were like very loose splines. Between the fins of the shaft and the fins of the drum are polyurethane fingers. This allows a good deal of torque shock loading to be absorbed by the polyurethane inserts, saving the metal parts from fractures or wear.

I think I have a set of these on another one of my series trucks? is this a set of them sorry for the cell pic.

rover cell pics (1).jpg

Snagger

Explorer
I think they were a very rarely bought item - neither KAM nor Ashcroft sell them now, so I suspect demand was very low. I don't know if anyone over here very produced such things for Series vehicles; the ones I saw were for Defenders. However, there are a lot of accessories for Series LRs, old and new, that are very specific to the US market, hence my curiosity.

aka rover

Adventurer
looks like a Thor automatic locking hub to me.

I think your right I just found a set on Ikes site and im pretty sure they are Thors

I think they were a very rarely bought item - neither KAM nor Ashcroft sell them now, so I suspect demand was very low. I don't know if anyone over here very produced such things for Series vehicles; the ones I saw were for Defenders. However, there are a lot of accessories for Series LRs, old and new, that are very specific to the US market, hence my curiosity.

Got it I havent seen any before or heard of them for that matter till now.

aka rover

Adventurer
Im needing rear springs and was wondering what if anything out there is worth buying! I am not interested in pararbolics for this rig but not sure what to buy as far as a standard heavy duty road spring?

Anyone have ant real world experience with a specific brand?

Thanks for any help you can give

cheers Ed

Gonzo

Hi Ed,

You may want to consider having custom springs made by someone like National Spring or ALCAN? The easiest way would be to send them an old spring and tell them if you want it to have more/less flex or any other differences you desire. You may even have a good place up by you. I checked around last year to do the same and the prices were not bad at all and you get exactly what you need/want.

Just a thought...

Brian
ROAM OFFROAD

aka rover

Adventurer
Thanks Brian

I will look into this and see what I can do, I will need to find some good springs to use as models as mine are broken JUNK!!

Yorker

Adventurer
Thanks Brian

I will look into this and see what I can do, I will need to find some good springs to use as models as mine are broken JUNK!!

A good spring place sould ave the specs they need to build you a set. Back in the 1990s I contacted a place here in NY and they could build LR springs no problem. Alcan has LR specs and can build them too and fine tune them to your specific vehicle's weight distribution and needs.

aka rover

Adventurer
A good spring place sould ave the specs they need to build you a set. Back in the 1990s I contacted a place here in NY and they could build LR springs no problem. Alcan has LR specs and can build them too and fine tune them to your specific vehicle's weight distribution and needs.

Thanks

I sent in my specs to Alcan we will see what they say? I wouldn't mind getting new fronts as well but we will see what the price is?

repete

Observer
It's been a while since I used them, and I thought they were a pricey, but I wonder if alaska spring can hook you up?
At least you wouldn't be gouged in shipping costs!

aka rover

Adventurer
It's been a while since I used them, and I thought they were a pricey, but I wonder if alaska spring can hook you up?
At least you wouldn't be gouged in shipping costs!

Im not sure Alaska Spring heats there springs and builds enough to have a quality product? I have used them years ago with not good results and have seen several of there springs fail!

I cant afford on this build to have a spring fail as it will be traveling 1000s of miles away from home!

P.S. thanks for the airbox I think it should work out great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier