Yep, sucker for punishment, that's me. 2012 Duonic Steinbauer module...

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Well, it's ordered, should be here this week.

Since I haven't had enough guinea pig experiences in my life, and I'm trying to establish a record, it's apparently the first Steinbauer module for the Duonic that's been ordered in the U.S.A. Got it from a dealer in California, took a couple of months to get the harness shipped over.

It'll be interesting to see how well it works. I have high hopes. Let's see if they're dashed. :coffee:

alan

Explorer
We have sold several in the US and canada, they work just fine, normally a week to get one, not months.:smiley_drive:

Czechsix

Hi Alan - that's good to hear. Steinbauer directed me to this dealer, after I talked with the Steinbauer folks. They said it might be a wait, since they haven't sold any modules for the Duonic trucks here in the U.S.?

Anyway, good to hear they're working fine. Looks like an easy install too, I'll be putting it on next month.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Alright, I'll subscribe to see how this goes ;)

So this gadget is about increased performance and power I take it? I like those things.

Butch

Czechsix

Original 161 HP 295 lb·ft
STEINBAUER 193 HP 369 lb·ft

Bit of a difference. I'm sure it'll help on long hills, but I'm also curious to see if it helps at lower speeds, climbing ledges and such. Anything that helps with minimizing wear and tear on the entire rig is a good thing, and combining a front limited slip with a bit more power and torque might make a huge difference.

Time will tell, and as dlh said, it can always be returned.

dlh62c

Explorer
With the Duonic you have an 'Economy' mode switch on the dash. With the Steinbauer Module enabled for more power and torque and the mode switch set to 'Economy', I'd be curious to see if it has any affect on the Duonic's shift points.

The Duonic I drove would downshift only one gear if the cruise control was on. Any further downshifting and it would kick off the cruise control. The first time this happened it was a little unsettling.

Czechsix

Same behavior on my Duonic truck. They've got their quirks. I'll play around with the module on and off, and try the eco and regular modes. I'm also curious to see if it has any effect on first gear starting out when the wheels aren't able to roll.

dlh62c

Explorer
I'm also curious to see if it has any effect on first gear starting out when the wheels aren't able to roll.

In a situation like that, such as climbing up onto a set of leveling blocks, place the Duonic into manual mode, 1st gear.

Czechsix

In a situation like that, such as climbing up onto a set of leveling blocks, place the Duonic into manual mode, 1st gear.

See what happens when you try to do something in a situation like this: you're on a piece of level ground, but soft. When you stop, your tires sink in to about 1/4 of their diameter. The ground can be easily shoveled, but it's not loose by any means, just soft enough to sink into.

Now start the truck, manual mode, 1st gear - and see what happens. That's the kind of situation I'm talking about.

In a normal, manual truck, I can either get enough wheelspin by carefully working the clutch and throttle to spin out, or bump things enough to rock out.

In the Duonic, trying to simply drive forward will give you a trans oil temp overlimit red light every time.

So I'm curious to see if the extra torque will help. I suspect it won't in that kind of situation. In a rolling situation, it will...but static starts that are blocked, nope.

dlh62c

Explorer
In the Duonic, trying to simply drive forward will give you a trans oil temp overlimit red light every time.

So I'm curious to see if the extra torque will help. I suspect it won't in that kind of situation. In a rolling situation, it will...but static starts that are blocked, nope.

In the Duonic's defense, it's at least giving you some warning that something is heating up. Unlike a standard manual transmission, the Duonic has dual wet clutches.

EAB

Observer
I have one installed in my 2007 and it works great no problems to date. I basically leave it on all the time but have not done any mileage testing yet. Without the chip I was getting between 11 and 13 mpg mostly on the highway traveling at 65mph to 68mph.

I know Rob Pickering at Terry Lee Enterprises (719) 384-0882 is the distributor for Colorado and the surrounding area. He also does alot of Unimog sales and service. Great guy very knowledgable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne