[YEAR 7!] Quit our jobs, sold our home, gone riding...

Randall253

Just caught up.

Recently found your thread and reading your adventures have consumed much of my free time as of late. Gene, you are a superb conversational writer! Thank you for sharing and I look forward to reading more.

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/294.html

map293-L.jpg

The ferry to Koh Phangun is filled with twenty-something farangs all looking like they are ramping up to go to a rave on the beach. Jacked-up dudes with tattoos and skinny girls with sun-bleached hair take up every available seat and the hot air inside is filled with the scent of sunscreen and sweat.

What the heck is going on?

And then we find out: there's going to be a full moon in a couple of days. We had no idea but now we are inadvertently on our way to the most famous Full Moon Party in Thailand. In fact, Full Moon Parties were invented on Koh Phangun, started by a bunch of tourists in 1985. Since then it's grown so large that tens of thousands of young partiers flock to the islands, dancing to electronic music all night, getting high on E and passing out on the beach.

Totally not our scene. I felt like the oldest person on the boat.

DSC_0296-XL.jpg

Neda catching some rays at the pool with a view

Even though we're staying at a small resort several orders of magnitude less nicer than the Renaissance in Koh Samui, it felt more homier sharing a bungalow with Mel and Anton and hanging out in the living room watching movies, yelling at the MotoGP race and planning out how we are going to fill our days.

Mel asked if we had watched "The Beach" which is set in Koh Phangun. I hadn't, so I put it down on my To-Watch list.

DSC_0306-L.jpg

If we followed the Smaller-and-Smaller theme, we would be renting mopeds, but 125ccs is the lowest we're willing to go

Our resort is not near any of the towns so once again, we've rented scooters and we're going to explore the smaller island of Koh Phangun.

DSCN7715-L.jpg

We're staying at the top of a hill and this is the view every time we leave it. Marvelous!

DSCN7671-L.jpg

If I had eyes in the back of my head, this is what I'd see

Koh Phangun is a lot less developed than Koh Samui. There are fewer cities, the towns are smaller, less hotels, less bars and restaurants and less activities. About the only thing it's known for are the Full Moon parties every 29 days. But in between it's a sleepy island. We just happened to be here as the party is ramping up, so we see lots of farangs on scooters shuttling around the island.

If it wasn't for that, I think I'd prefer Koh Phangun over Koh Samui. A bit more slower paced and relaxed. Just like us...

DSCN7675-L.jpg

Some stalls in one of the tiny towns on Koh Phangun

Our primary goal on Koh Phangun is to find the best beach on the island. And then lie on it and watch time pass. It's a rough life, but someone has to live it! :)

DSC_0312-L.jpg

Taking a break from the hot sun before braving the beach

DSC_0315-L.jpg

Trudging through the village to our destination. Hard work!

DSCN7685-L.jpg

This one looks good

DSCN7696-L.jpg

Feeling the sand beneath our toes

DSC_0337-L.jpg

Another guy living the hard life.

IMG_6043-L.jpg

Crystal clear waters and white sands. Not bad.

We hopped from beach to beach by scooter before we found one we liked. Some of them were too noisy - fishing boats and ferries pollute the air with noise and the waters with refuse, but we finally found one that we could spread out a blanket and then we set our timers so we knew when to turn over like turkeys basting in the oven. We're really enjoying ourselves in Koh Phangun!

DSC_0403-L.jpg

Our neighbours for the next couple of hours

DSC_0425-L.jpg

We alternate between baking on the sand and then cooling off in the refreshing waters

DSC_0408-L.jpg

Junk boat trawling the waters of the island

Junk boats originated from China but are found all over SE Asia. You can charter these traditional junk boats to take you all around the islands and the marine parks.

Speaking of which, there are a lot of Thai words that I recognize from Chinese. More than half of the numbers are derived from Cantonese. Anton also pointed out some words that he recognized from Tamil, so between the two of us, we really don't understand any Thai at all...

We've gone into a lot more stores with Anton and Mel, and we've picked up more slang. A popular phrase is "same same", when a Thai person is trying to tell you something is similar.

However, we've realized when a Thai salesperson tries to convince you that something is "same same", often it is not similar at all.

DSC_0409-L.jpg

I'm going to try to sell this picture to some postcard companies in Hawaii, Jamaica and Fiji. Same same.

IMG_6055-L.jpg

Havin' a swingin' ole time!

DSC_0334-L.jpg

Koh Phangun is actually Thai for "Farangs on Scooters". They (we?) are everywhere!

Okay, so I downloaded that movie, "The Beach" and we all watched it.

Holy hell, that's not the kind of movie you want to see while you're actually on the islands. Like watching an airplane disaster movie as your in-flight entertainment!

DSC_0452-L.jpg

Hanging out with fellow travelers, John and Jen from BC

John and I have been e-mailing through the blog for a while and it just so happened that we were all on the islands at the same time. So we met at the bar right beside our resort, where we grabbed a couple of drinks while watching the spectacular sunset. Not a bad way to spend the evening!

DSC_0339-L.jpg

Everything is so chill

DSC_0445-XL.jpg

Billy Corgan spinning the beatz. Absolutely Smashing!

DSC_0355-L.jpg

Just before the sun sets, everyone tries to capture the moment

DSC_0391-XL.jpg

Loving the stacked layers of colours when the sun starts to disappear

We really like hanging out with Anton and Mel. They've got a very chill and unhurried approach to traveling, which means they book lots of one-way tickets and have plenty of flexibility to stay, roam or go. This fits in so well with our style of travel. We literally do not know what we are going to do tomorrow and I think that that's awesome!!!

DSC_0358-L.jpg

Fishing boats out in the Golden Hour

It's not all smiles and giggles here on the islands.

We've been wrapped up inside our riding suits while in Thailand for months now and this is our first time out in our bathing suits. Neda got a nasty sunburn *EVERYWHERE*! If you are not easily offended by a bit of skin, here's a small peek:

The Full Moon is coming and I'm reminded of the movie we just saw. Time to leave Koh Phangun...

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/295.html

map295-L.jpg

Our vacation from our vacation from our vacation is nearly over. We're quickly unwinding our travels in reverse, catching taxis, ferries and planes back to where we originally came from.

DSC_0459-L.jpg

First stop, the ferry docks at Koh Phangun

DSC_0465-L.jpg

While we board the ferry, we watch fishermen haul their boats in and out of the water

After only two days in Koh Phangun, we are escaping this island right before the Full Moon parties kick off. Unsurprisingly, the ferry is almost empty. There are no twenty-somethings leaving Koh Phangun. Just a bunch of old people...

DSC_0473-L.jpg

Back to the big cities of Koh Samui

We are only spending the night in Koh Samui before we fly back to the mainland in the morning. We're staying in Chaweng Beach, which is the largest city on the island and only a couple of kms away from the airport.

DSC_0471-L.jpg

Walking around the very western malls in Chaweng Beach looking for dinner

DSC_0472-L.jpg

We don't really want to eat western food, so we head back outside

But there are many farangs who travel all the way to Thailand and are happy to pay western prices for a hamburger and fries.

DSC_0478-L.jpg

Ah! This is more our speed

DSC_0480-L.jpg

Waiting for our seafood dinner. Crab and noodles tonight. Again! :D

DSC_0484-L.jpg

The next morning, some photo opportunities at the Koh Samui airport, waiting for the plane to Bangkok

DSC_0487-L.jpg

And then an hour later, after touching down at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok, more nice things to take pictures of

We're not done with Mel and Anton yet! Neda and I had planned to pick up our CRFs in Bangkok and ride a bit north to check out some ruins. Since our friends still have a couple of days of vacation left, they rented a car and we all piled in and headed up together.

It was all highway to Ayutthaya, just over an hour's drive north of the city. I stared out the window as boring, flat urban landscape packed with towns, roads and vehicles scrolled past. Being in a car is both monotonous and hypnotic. We're traveling during the middle of the day and I glanced over at the temperature gauge on the dash of the car. The numbers slowly crept up: 38C... 39C... 40C! So humid too! Missing the islands already. So glad we are in a car on this boring slab-run with the air-conditioning blasting glorious cold air on our faces!

I may even indulge in a short nap in the back seat...

IMG_6062-L.jpg

Wat Chaiwatthanaram at sunset

We arrived in Ayutthaya in the early afternoon, checked into our hotel, then waited until sunset to venture out to see some ruins. There are quite a few in the area. The hotel manager suggested we visit Wat Chaiwatthanaram. It's the most well-known of the temples and is the picture on all the postcards of Ayutthaya as well as Google Images.

Well, if it's on Google Images, we *have* to go take our own pictures then and add them to the library!

DSC_0505-L.jpg

Do you have this picture, Google Images? Well you do now! SEO tag: Ayutthaya Ayutthaya Ayutthaya

Ayutthaya, the capital of what was once known as Siam (now Thailand), was once one of the largest cities in the world. More than a million people lived here in the 1700s. But most of it was destroyed when Burmese invaders burned it to the ground in 1767. Most of the city was made of wood, but the parts that still stand now are the stone remnants of the temples.

DSC_0622-XL.jpg

After sunset, we play around with the shadows of the floodlights, lighting up the stones

DSC_0650-L.jpg

This is actually the moon peeking out from behind the tower

DSC_0654-L.jpg

Getting late, time to go. Lots more to see tomorrow!

There are many different ruins in Ayutthaya, all are within a few kms of each other. There are bus tours that shuttle you to and from all the sites, and we try to beat the tourists that pour out of these behemoths. We've heard that you can also rent bicycles and ride between the ruins, which is a terrific way to die of heat exhaustion. We'll stick to the air-conditioned car, thank you very much Tourism Board of Ayutthaya.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles