YAMAHA XT250

2X4TACOMA

So I've been itching to get a dual sport. I have wanted one for a while. But never needed one. And I still don't need one. I have been looking at the Yamaha XT250 and or the Honda CRF 250L. I'm leaning towards the XT 250 because I can stand flat footed on the bike and I guess the color... The main reason though I'm posting this is to get some reviews or input on the Yamaha XT250. I cant seem to find enough reviews or comparisons for my liking on the XT250. Seems like there is a lot more info on the Honda CRF 250L.

Is the Yamaha XT250 a good bike? Any Problems? Will a new model last?

How does it compare to the Honda CRF 250L?

If need be can I go freeway speed for short distances?

Is it a good beginner bike? Will I outgrow its capabilities?

I will say I have been on motorcycles very little. The little bit I have been on single track scared the crap out of me. I think it was because I ride mountain bikes and the motorcycle was a completely different beast and I wasn't ready for it! I still putt around on my buddies trail 90's from time to time and I enjoy it. I had a quad for years and been in situations on that thing I shouldn't have been in. I guess I'm ready for something new and different. Id like to ride pavement to get to the mountains which is at least a hour away and go on dirt roads to explore with even hitting a single track if need be. I also have a fully capable Tacoma to go 4x4ing but for some reason I'm tired of driving it. I drive a pick up all day at work..... Maybe I'm posting this so you guys can talk me into spending the money on a Dual Sport. I have the money just don't want to spend it on the wrong decision.

Thanks.
Kevin

prerunner221

Adventurer
I just bought both on late October so I might be able to help. The CRF I bought for me and the XT I bought for my wife. She's 5'3'' and I'm 5'10''. These are our first bikes, we both took the class in November and these are the only bikes we've ridden. The CRF seemed a little tall at first, but now I really like it. It's definitely the cruiser of the two. Its top end is higher and it's much better at faster paced riding fro me. The XT is like a tractor. It's happy to stay in lower RPMs and cruises at slower speeds very well. The couple times I've have the CRF up above 70 the bike seemed like while it was capable of going faster, it wasn't really built for doing it for an extended time. It would be like driving my FJ at 100mph. It'll do it, but it'll be scary. I don't think the XT will even go that fast. Driving around town at 50 though, it handles great and is a lot of fun.

Off road, the CRF has better suspension, more travel and it seems to soak everything up. As I get better on the bike I'm finding myself wanting to upgrade the suspension however. As my speeds rise, and my ability to throw the bike around, I want a more responsive suspension like I would get from Racetech or Ohlins. The XT doesn't have the suspension travel, and the suspension is stiffer, but it handles very well. You sit lower on the bike, and the bike is a bit lighter, so it's easier to handle for a new rider.

They are both good bikes on and off road. You really need to decide if you need the top end speed or if side roads are OK for your use. I prefer the little extra speed and comfort I get out of the CRF, but if I but to wreck it tomorrow I would happily ride the XT. See if you can ride them both then make your decision. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

34686263_10156463131929494_5078484088021581824_n.jpg

2X4TACOMA

^^^
Thank you for the replies.

Prerunner221 I am jealous that you have both bikes! I really want the Rally because it looks awesome! I sat on it though and I thought for me being a beginner and not being able to touch the ground easily it might be a bit difficult to ride. I plan on putting around off road. But I do want to be able to jump on the freeway if need be.. It is a bit more expensive too. How did the motorcycle class go? I have been thinking of taking one. Another odd question I have is about the wind screen on the rally. How is that while riding the bike?

EMrider I like your answer. That they are simple and reliable. And thanks for that Link!

I am not in a hurry some other things have popped up in life so ill have to wait a little longer. Which gives me time to think about it some more and maybe get to ride them a bit before getting one.

Thanks.

prerunner221

Adventurer
^^^
Prerunner221 I am jealous that you have both bikes! I really want the Rally because it looks awesome! I sat on it though and I thought for me being a beginner and not being able to touch the ground easily it might be a bit difficult to ride. I plan on putting around off road. But I do want to be able to jump on the freeway if need be.. It is a bit more expensive too. How did the motorcycle class go? I have been thinking of taking one. Another odd question I have is about the wind screen on the rally. How is that while riding the bike?

Thanks.

I really liked the looks of the Rally and that honestly had a lot to do with me getting it. For highway riding, like I said, The Rally isn't great, but I wouldn't even try it on the XT. I love the windscreen on the Rally so much I've been trying to find something similar for the XT. The closest I've found is the Serow windshield, but I haven't found anyone that can confirm it's fit, so I haven't ordered it yet.

The class for me was necessary. I had never even sat on a bike before the class except inside of a dealership. The class helped me get down the basics, but just barely. I really learned how to ride by going out at 2 in the morning around my house and just putting miles on, but I needed the license.

If I was in your shoes, like I was a few months ago, I'd also go look at a KLX250. My riding buddy just picked one up in camo and man that thing is sweet. It's a bit faster then the Rally, and its considerably lighter. Pretty cool third option to consider.

Trailboss

Senior Curmudgeon
I'm a new rider and bought the 2013 XT250 used. When I was looking at the KLX, CFR and the XT, I figured they were essentially equal for my needs (no freeway driving, and light weight since I ride solo), so price and condition for a used bike was the deciding factor. I learned how to ride it in my pasture, then took the class to correct my bad habits and get my license. I'm 210 lbs and age 67 and have had it up to 65mph, but I'm most happy at 40-50mph on remote country roads.

It did great on rural roads in LA, MS, East TN, SW VA, the Blue Ridge Pkwy, Tail of the Dragon, Shady Valley, and the paved and dirt Cherohala Skyway. I've been on forest roads in MS, TN, NC and VA, and offroad parks Durhamtown in GA and Brazos Valley in TX. After 5,000 mi in 2 years, my only complaint is the seat is not very comfortable for more than about 2 hours at a time. It has about 12K miles now, and has been 100% reliable, needing only a spark plug, brake shoes, battery and tires since new. I would expect the KLX and CFR to have the same reliability. I would sit on all three and pick the one that fits you best.

Ole Chipper

Family member bought both a 2017 CRF250l and 2017 XT250 and the XT250 quickly got sold. The CRF out classed the XT in every way. Better suspension, nicer ride on road and off. Power was close but the CRF won out. Just put a lowering link in the CRF if seat height is an issue. Plus the CRF was only $4299 and the XT was $4999 for a lesser bike. The XT would make a nice around town bike just keep it on the road and back streets.

As another suggested check out the KLR 250. Have owned them in the past a few years ago and I think they may be nicer then the CRF. Haven't actually ridden a NEW KLR 250 so I can't say for certain. But I would look at those before the XT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles