Yamaha Tener XT660Z build

Aubrey

Observer
Life kept me on 4 wheels for years so end last year ….. got a grip on a little life ... it was blue and grey and Japanese.…… not too heavy then I carry too much weight and not too fancy …… training wheels may still be needed after that long hiatus :D
Trawled Gumtree and found a blue 2009 XT660Z for about USD 5500 with just under 23 000km (about 14 400 miles on it) Dealer did an oil change and fitted Kenda tyres.
This is after adding an orange headlight guard, small bottom engine frame guard and a slip on Stealth pipe ….. 2 weeks at home. Just finding the spanners again ….

Last edited:

Aubrey

Observer
Then the first order of business …full service at Yamaha Lifestyle. Cost came to just under ZAR 2100 (USD 190) and confirmed that roller chain and sprockets were new and overall in good condition.

Problem on plastic skid plat …had a massive hole in it. Ordered a Yamaha part ….GYTR made one for the XT660 so I knew some mods would be required and will the engine guard frame fit?

And that exhaust could do with a lick of paint …..

Last edited:

Aubrey

Observer
The skid plate took a month to arrive from Japan …. So in between sourced a free flow filter and fitted that. Can't say I feel any differance on performance but I do like not buying paper filters :D Found a HID headlight conversion kit for lo and hi beam and fitted that ...amazing results.
Took about a day to remove the plastic unit with engine protection frame ….. but here it is modified, painted up and fitted. My friend Fred came to assist … a magician with metal.

Always worried not having tools so sourced a tool tube on Gumtree and made brackets to fit the tube … big enough to hold a pint of wine ….. may I should start drinking ……

Last edited:

Aubrey

Observer
Things slowed down with work pressure …… Got the bike with one black key ….. no red coding key so Yamaha told me ZAR 16 000 (USD 1550) for a new ECU and red key. Plan B ….. immobilizer emulator to bypass immobilizer so ordered two units …. Now to wait for the South Africa Post office to send me a slip to collect.
Also fitted a Garmin 62ST in a RAM mount and started adding black to various parts over the weekend ….
All grey plastics are now black …. As well as the screen,

Black carried to back as well ..

Last edited:

Aubrey

Observer
To do list ...

1 - Refit pipe engine guard to protect water pump
2 - Fit immobiliser emulator when received.
3 - Order LED indicators
4 - Continue search for panniers.

Note to self - Don't fall over with bike :D

Scott Brady

Founder
The Tenere is looking great. What was the motivator for the amber headlight cover?

The size bike is well suited to soft luggage, although it lacks the security of hard panniers.

Aubrey

Observer
The Tenere is looking great. What was the motivator for the amber headlight cover?

The size bike is well suited to soft luggage, although it lacks the security of hard panniers.

Scott, if you see the way Sefricans drive ...visibility is key to survival. Orange adds a lot in that regard. Velcro tabs so comes off at night .......

Thinking of soft panniers but as you say security and then to custom make a frame to keep it away from hot and/or moving bits.

Aubrey

Observer
Weekend ... sun was out after 3 weeks of rain. This is not African weather at all.

Removed the bash plate and started refitting the pipe engine gaurd. This is before ....

Bash plate off and started refitting engine pipe gaurd ....

After 2 hours of fitting and trimming and fitting and trimming ..... you get the picture ....

All done bar the fat lady to sing ...

Aubrey

Observer
Rotopax arrived. Cleared customs. Measured up and now waiting for flat bar to be cut to size.

This weekend may just see a little progress .....

Did fit in a short 600 miles to Botswana and back ...here in Zeerust refuelling. Just work as normal with a twist :D

Aubrey

Observer
My best friend Fred is a master with steel and made the bracket.

The completed bracket before painting.

And here the Rotopax is fitted on the bike.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles