Yakima vs. Thule roof racks?

Do you prefer Thule, Yakima, or some other brand of roof rack?

• Thule

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Yakima

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Other (please post your choice in the thread)

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

zuren

Adventurer
I've been a long time Thule owner, but my latest experience has me wondering if I should consider other options.

I was looking to mount my existing "old style" square crossbars to one of our vehicles where I never had a foot pack/fit kit for it. I used Thule's fit guide, but the recommendation was their redesigned feet and new crossbars (not compatible with my old crossbars)...so essentially an entirely new rack system. So I try to call Thule to have a conversation with a person. They make it impossible to speak with a person by voice. So then I used their chat/email a question option, and 9 days later I got a response...with information that did not seem 100% accurate (I did more research during those 9 days).

I have a couple options if I want to pursue this further, but I've been really put off by Thule playing "hard-to-get" and not really supporting their older products. How has everyone's experience been with Yakima, or other company? I would not be opposed to switching brands.

Thanks!

Photobug

I used to sell both decades ago and liked Yakima for the round bars so have stuck with Yakima even though both brands have evolved way past their roots. My recent experience makes me consider buying Thule here on out. I have many generations of Yakima stuff not compatible with the new stuff. It has been easy to contact them and get advice but the last two times I contacted them I was given conflicting advice on what would work with my current roof rack. This after I bought what was recommended by the first advisor.

I would consider what you are trying to put on your roof, kayaks, bikes and go with has the best review for an accessory rack.

Started with Yakima years ago but I think their quality control has slipped a bit. There are Thule track mounted racks on top of my shell, work fine but expensive. Have Rhino Rack gutterless mounted on the cab roof, work fine but again quite pricey. I’m liking the RRs as of today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94