Yakima Tracks on SnugTop Questions - '12 Tacoma DCSB

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
mine was installed by snugtop and is in the non honeycomb section of the shell. I had installed my last tracks on my previous shell in the honeycomb and I was told that i did it wrong.

my rack is ridiculously strong. when i was driving the rubicon my rack hung up on a tree and it bent the yakama bar nearly straight back. there was no damage to the tracks or to the shell. I regularly stand up there and have had 2 people at once on the platform

here you can see how far back the bar bent.
MG_4156tmophoto_2012.jpeg

the bar is supposed to extend straight out from the silver U bolt.

I have a 3/4" sheet of plywood that sits on 3 sets of towers and bars. I have never heard the shell cracking or making noise I have put at least 400lbs up there when not moving. I generally don't store anything up there when driving, it affects the center of gravity so much its not worth it. The last shell that i had (where i installed the tracks incorrectly) would crack and make noise when i was on the platform.

Last edited:

hornytoad

Desert Geologist
Factory installed rails are the way to go. But if you have to do it yourself either match the factory installation (some companies will sell you the kit) or use the edges of the topper with the Thule or Yakima rain gutter installation kits.

Watch your weight loads, it's easy to get carried away and start deforming the fiberglass (the area around the back door will start spreading).

My leer factory installed kit was good for 300lbs? imbedded rails installed at the factory with a Thule fit kit.

cs0430

Well, finally got in writing from SnugTop that the bolts are supposed to go through the honeycomb. Tracks are being installed Friday, so hopefully I will be good to go after that. I will post pictures and start a little build thread here once things get going.

Uglyduck

Adventurer
Nice. i just measured mine, 48" long with holes 6" on center. I remember needing a buddy to hold the screw driver outside while I tightened nuts inside but you wont have to worry about that it sounds like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior