Yakima Space Cadet

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I am interested in something like this, what are the pros or cons when it comes to using some of these, vs. the Hannibal rack!

Description & Specifications: This Yakima® Space Cadet™-15S offers good storage volume in a short package, which is great for small cars and wagons. Value oriented classic cargo box. Flat bottom offers the most versatility in fitting narrow or wide crossbar spreads. Easy handling with one lock mechanism. Three latch points, instead of the traditional two, provides greater security. UV-resistant, high-impact ABS plastic offers a rigid shell; custom, articulated levered arms support the side-opening lid for easy loading. Quick-release mounting hardware, INCLUDED, provides mounting and requires no special tools. For theft deterrence, all mounting hardware is internal. Flat bottom offers the most versatility in fitting narrow or wide crossbar spreads. Fits round bars, square bars and most factory racks. Curbside opening. One SKS™ (same key system) lock core and key is INCLUDED. Weight -- 35 pounds. Volume -- 15 cubic feet. Dimensions -- 58 x 38 x 15 inches. M.S.R.P. $300.

Attachments

• Yakima.jpg
    Yakima.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 40

asteffes

Explorer
I asked similar questions in another thread and the responses were mostly about how oddly-shaped items don't fit well inside those boxes. It's also tricky to keep things from shifting around inside the box. However, I think they make sense if you want to keep stuff clean but don't have enough space inside your vehicle. I just wouldn't try to secure fuel cans or a Hi-Lift inside one.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I think I like them because they are cool looking and I could use the extra space:victory:
Any more comments or experiences?:wavey:

blaze one

Adventurer
I beleive it depends on what kind of cargo you need to carry up there .
Tarps , Rope , Tents , Blankets , and other soft materials will fit well . As for other equipment such as air compressor , batteries , shovels , axes , tools and all the other odd shaped hard stuff would be hard to take advantage of the total storage volume of one of those .

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I like my cargo box.

coastal.jpg

During the dry season the clay becomes a fine dust around here. Things like the sleeping bags and clothing stay much cleaner inside the box.
Years ago when I did my research, Sears had the best prices. Mine is the Sport 20 SV. I paid $179 and it is a 20 cubic foot box.

Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Sorry to hi-jack your thread eurorom-

Welcome Henry! I see this is your fisrt post. and looks like you have great website going for your truck!

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the welcome. I am looking forward to digging through the information here and hopefully I will have something of value to contribute.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well Thule has just launched a new series of bags specifically designed to go inside of their Cargo boxes. My rep came by witht hem a month ago. They are sized so they fit inside each other when not in use. The variable sizing allows them to fit snugly inside to reduce the challenges of shifting gear.

I beleive the 4 bag set retailed for about $150.00 efinetly the way to go for the way we use the boxes. They are not on the web site yet but should be in the new Thule catalog getting ready to launch this month

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Thank you guys for all the advice , I will be going to check them out in Sears today, if I do not find them I will be getting this one, http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2224A702&categoryid=500 thank you calamaridog.

Also one of the main reasons i want to buy a cargo box is so that I may keep some of my lighter belongings in a secure clean space and I believe they are rated at or around 100 lbs. So i should have enough space for my cloths, wich are very light. Will post pictures of the cargo box once i make a desition!
also I would prefer the two tone silver/black colors! In search I go...

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
eurorom said:
...I will be going to check them out in Sears today, if I do not find them I will be getting this one, http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2224A702&categoryid=500...

Sears does still have the 20 cu. ft. Car Top Carrier, Sport 20-SV. It is now $189 It opens and loads from the rear. That works the best for my truck. I see the Coleman box opens from the passenger side. That may be an advantage for those who have better access from the side.

The Sears box has held up very well and comes with the needed mounting hardware. Some boxes sell mounting hardware separately, watch out for that.
The only "complaint" I might have would be the keys. They are double cut and have a weak midpoint. The key is used to unlatch/open the box. No push button. I have broken one key, and the other is cracking. The key blanks are a cheap overseas manufactured blank and my locksmith did not have an exact duplicate. We were able to make another blank work, but there was some doubt.

I would purchase this box again. It has been a valued asset. With a family there is never a worry of items up there shifting. Every available nook is stuffed with something ;) Having it has left the door open to taking along some luxury items like a fullsize "real" pillow :D

I store mine on top of the wife's race car. If that becomes a problem, I plan to use eyelets and ropes to hoist it to the ceiling of the garage while not in use.

Best of luck in your search and be sure to let us all know what you find.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Waterproof??

Please check to see if these are constructed to be sealed against water invasion at highway speeds. IIRC, they are made of ABS plastic. I am curious to know if they will expand and shrink as the tempurature changes.

Are they latched with lockable draw latches?

M

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Mike S said:
Please check to see if these are constructed to be sealed against water invasion at highway speeds. IIRC, they are made of ABS plastic. I am curious to know if they will expand and shrink as the tempurature changes.

Are they latched with lockable draw latches?
I have driven at highway speeds in some very hard rains. I have never had a problem with water intrusion. The box is not "sealed" really. The lip is of an interlocking design, but has no seal. At most there was a drip or two inside, but those may have been from opening the box? I am sure water could be forced inside from a pressurized force during washing, but I've hosed mine off after a trip and never seen water inside.
I do live in a primarily dry climate though, so my results may be tilted that direction unintentionally.

The latch on mine is a click latch opened by the key. Kind of like an old glove box latch. Not adjustable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles