Yakima SkyRise RTT

jk_surgeonfish

Observer
For those that have the Skyrise how it is working out? They had some pretty bad reviews with the first run of tents. I called and spoke with Yakima and they claim to have fixed the issues. I can get a pretty big discount on the tent but it still is a big chunk of change to spend. I am a weekend user and don't plan trips longer then 5 days.

Appreciate any feedback from folks on issues or if they have been trouble free.

Thanks!

cadmanpilot

We had a great experience with our Skyrise 3 person on a recent trip to Grayson Highlands State Park in western Virginia. It was our first extended (3 night) excursion. We had good weather while there but did have overnight rain showers - nothing heavy. The tent was very comfortable for 2 people. With the 96 inch length there is plenty of room inside at the foot end for shoes, etc. The mattress was very comfortable but we did have a comforter on top in case it became cool at night. The campground elevation is 5K feet. The many windows provide excellent ventilation, especially with the top panels unzipped too. We drove through heavy rains on our way home and only the very bottom edge of the outer materials became damp - mattress did not get wet at all. I just opened it up in the driveway the next day to be sure it was completely dry before storing.

Attachments

• 4D0AD46E-0FCD-40BF-95CE-67939113682C.jpeg
    4D0AD46E-0FCD-40BF-95CE-67939113682C.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 41

jk_surgeonfish

Observer
We had a great experience with our Skyrise 3 person on a recent trip to Grayson Highlands State Park in western Virginia. It was our first extended (3 night) excursion. We had good weather while there but did have overnight rain showers - nothing heavy. The tent was very comfortable for 2 people. With the 96 inch length there is plenty of room inside at the foot end for shoes, etc. The mattress was very comfortable but we did have a comforter on top in case it became cool at night. The campground elevation is 5K feet. The many windows provide excellent ventilation, especially with the top panels unzipped too. We drove through heavy rains on our way home and only the very bottom edge of the outer materials became damp - mattress did not get wet at all. I just opened it up in the driveway the next day to be sure it was completely dry before storing.

Thanks for your reply. I picked up a CVT is excellent condition over the weekend for a great price.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Yakima's newest version:

Yakima has been a long time leader in the rack and vehicle accessory market, but they’ve only recently delved into the world of off-roading and overlanding. They made a valiant first leap with their previous generation roof-top tent, but we found it to be a bit underwhelming, with several notable issues. The big news this year is that Yakima has remedied those issues with their new SkyRise HD roof top tent.
DSCF6812.jpg

They wanted to make it a true four-season tent, so their first step was upgrading the fabric from a 210D to 600D waterproof breathable ripstop. They then reduced the number of seams, and completely overhauled the rainfly to better match the tent, and prevent the pooling of water in heavy rain. The rain fly also received new drip rings to prevent ingress at the base of the tent as well.
DSCF6828.jpg
DSCF6826.jpg

The frame was enlarged to make the tent more spacious, which was a desperately needed upgrade from the previous SkyRise. The roof is also taller, and small niceties have been installed like interior mesh pockets for gear storage and larger windows for increased visibility and ventilation. The mattress now features ripstop materials on both the sides and bottom for increased durability and longevity, and the ladder was changed out for an auto-release model that only requires you to push in the slide button once instead of at every notch

cadmanpilot

Do they say when the new version will be available? There will probably be some good deals on the original but those improvements really make sense.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I have not seen any released date info yet.

I’m wondering what the weight is and if they changed the width.

jk_surgeonfish

Observer
Nice they are addressing the earlier issues with the tents. Hoping it is successful. I have had great experience with Yakima customer service with bike racks. So positive that I won't buy any other brand of bike racks.

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
Do they say when the new version will be available? There will probably be some good deals on the original but those improvements really make sense.

I have heard Spring 2019.

Sounds like a boost in size, wall thickness...and price...

LINKY

SkyRise HD
The SkyRise HD is the hub of the ultimate mobile base camp, and with a roomier geometry, improved four-season weather protection and enhanced durability, the newest version of Yakima’s popular roof top tent brings more of everything for 2019.
The tent’s geometry has been revised to deliver more usable space, plus expanded windows, doors, and skylights that provide grander views and better ventilation. The tent body is made from a thicker 600D Ripstop Poly fabric and an added layer of 3000mm waterproof PU coating, and the rain fly is 210D Ripstop Poly with a 3000mm PU coating – providing four-season weather protection. A burlier floor material ups the tent’s durability. Floor-mounted d-rings and guy points make it easier to hang gear and guy out the tent for a secure pitch in windy conditions, and a new ladder design makes it easier to adjust for various vehicle and ground heights.
Adventurers can customize the SkyRise with Yakima’s collection of roof top tent accessories.
MSRP: $1599 (SkyRise HD Small), $1999 (SkyRise HD Medium)

Directly from Yakima...

https://www.yakima2019.com/skyrise-hd/

"In The Wild" had me chuckling :p

At least this guy has his priorities straight:

yakima cooler.jpg

Last edited:

cadmanpilot

Another great weekend in our Skyrise. Not as cool a start to October here in the middle Atlantic as we would like but those big screen panels in the roof sure help.

Attachments

• 475CCDDB-0022-4FC8-8EAD-5473C03DDEB0.jpeg
    475CCDDB-0022-4FC8-8EAD-5473C03DDEB0.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 46

0dax0

Has anyone used their skyrise or skyrise for winter snow camping ? I’m considering using is while doing a ski tour in the Rockies.

Thanks
Dax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles