Yakima SkyRise RTT

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
We need some pictures of these from the users instead of the promo shots. Love to see some close ups of the quick mount system.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
Thanks for the review. I've been waiting for this tent to come out so I can find out more details about it. I was especially interested in the mounting system, but after seeing it I am slightly underwhelmed. I was hoping Yakima could come up with something a little more streamlined, the quick mounts look a little clunky and raise the tent up higher than I would like.

How is the cover for the tent? That is one of my biggest annoyances about having a RTT and what takes the most time in putting it away. You mentioned it has corner zips and cinch straps, do you have any pictures of how it works? Does this mean it's not a continuous zipper all around, but rather 3 separate sections?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I just got confirmation that our media sample will be arriving for a full review on Expedition Portal. I should have that review, a biggie, completed by the end of April.

Kade.Tang

I just got confirmation that our media sample will be arriving for a full review on Expedition Portal. I should have that review, a biggie, completed by the end of April.
I'm curious to see a review on the awning. Are you guys getting an awning as well??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

surferdude78

Observer
I was interested in the Skyrise, saw one at my local REI & reached out to Yakima's tech staff after I couldn't get a clear answer regarding fire retardant & waterproofness from the sales guy at REI. The answer I got from Yakima left me scratching my head:

Hello,

The tent is not fire resistant, no open flames should be used in or near it. The tent is made from 210D nylon, the fly is made from the same material, and is coated with Poly Urethane for water resistance.

Please let me know if yo have any additional questions I can answer for you. You may also find our tent FAQ page useful https://yakimasupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/204482507-ROOFTOP-TENTS-AND-AWNING.

Apparently the tent canopy is not waterproof nor fire retardant? Perhaps you can address that in the upcoming review.

bshoeless

I picked up one of the 3 person setups as well.
Have been waiting for its release since they announced.
Having never been in another RTT, take my opinion lightly. I've always been a backpacker and gone for the lightest, smallest tent possible.

I am a weekend warrior. I wanted something that would be a bit more comfortable while out on fly fishing weekend trips or finding a secluded spot to car camp with the wife.
The tent sits atop my slightly lifted 4th Gen 4runner. Mounted to a round bar Yakima rack. I agree with what ducktape said about being underwhelmed by the mounting. It does sit up a bit higher than I would like, but I can live with it.
I also just saw the review with the wet tent. That concerns me to an extent. I understand this is their first attempt and there may be some growing pains. If it is a common issue, I hope to find a remedy.
Other than those two concerns, the tent looks like it'll do what I need. Its comfortable and roomy. The cover is solid, as stated. The mounting system does make install quick and easy.

I've had it a couple weeks now but I'll give it a proper test this weekend and report back with pictures and comments.

Also, I plan on picking up the awning soon.

Jmanscotch

is wandering
The girlfriend and I just purchased the medium/3 person today. It'll be a few weeks before it makes it into the local REI though. Out the door with a 20% coupons and some REI dividends it was roughly $1,150.

For us, the reason to go with the Yakima was based on a few key features and our specific light duty intended use.

1st: it can easily be mounted on my Tacoma (for generic camping off Forrest roads and mild trips) and on the rare occasion, moved over to her RAV4 easily (long highway based road trips) and can easily be secured to the cross bars with a lock (though admittedly it's not theft proof).

2nd: something I haven't yet seen mentioned: Limited lifetime warranty from Yakima paired with a 365 day satisfaction/defect return policy with REI. Also, REI is accessible most places we go so easy in-store support fits our needs well.

3rd: the three person is really just a comfortable size 2 person for us....well, me. (6'1" 220, she's 5'5" and notably lighter) and out of the tents we've explore (but not owned), it felt the best size without excess (or lack of room as with the Skyrise small/2 person).

When it comes in and we get it mounted, I'll join with Christophe in offering some first hand feedback.

- Jake

Richiee46

The girlfriend and I just purchased the medium/3 person today. It'll be a few weeks before it makes it into the local REI though. Out the door with a 20% coupons and some REI dividends it was roughly $1,150.

For us, the reason to go with the Yakima was based on a few key features and our specific light duty intended use.

1st: it can easily be mounted on my Tacoma (for generic camping off Forrest roads and mild trips) and on the rare occasion, moved over to her RAV4 easily (long highway based road trips) and can easily be secured to the cross bars with a lock (though admittedly it's not theft proof).

2nd: something I haven't yet seen mentioned: Limited lifetime warranty from Yakima paired with a 365 day satisfaction/defect return policy with REI. Also, REI is accessible most places we go so easy in-store support fits our needs well.

3rd: the three person is really just a comfortable size 2 person for us....well, me. (6'1" 220, she's 5'5" and notably lighter) and out of the tents we've explore (but not owned), it felt the best size without excess (or lack of room as with the Skyrise small/2 person).

When it comes in and we get it mounted, I'll join with Christophe in offering some first hand feedback.

- Jake
Jake,

I believe Yakima does NOT offer lifetime warranty on RTT. It's only 2 years. They have a special section on their warranty page.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Jmanscotch

is wandering
Jake,

I believe Yakima does NOT offer lifetime warranty on RTT. It's only 2 years. They have a special section on their warranty page.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Hmm, the girlfriend had look it up and that's what she seemed to believe, guess I need to do some reading myself. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Well you're correct, Richie. Found the 2 year warranty info. That's a little disappointing as it was one of the big selling points for me, but I guess I'm not surprised, it did seem a little too good to be true so I should've expected such.

Jake

Last edited:

whitenoise

Adventurer
The quick mount system weighs about 11 lbs by itself, so the real weight of the medium is about 104lbs - if you have an aluminum T-slot roof rack, I'm sure there's a way to bolt it directly to the crossbars using captive nuts.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Jammer

Observer
I haven't purchased/ used the Yakima RTT or awning yet, but our Yakima rep stopped by the bike shop I work at to show us some new bike racks back on January 30th. Being a gear geek, I asked him to show me the RTT and awning. I snapped some quick photos between helping customers on a busy day so I didn't get any detailed pics or tent interior pics. Since these are the first of these types of products I have gotten to see in person, I can say they seem to be built well and are definitely built for the weekend warrior.

They are not trying tap into the Overlanding market as much as they are offering their Outdoor Active Lifestyle customers a bigger variety of gear to get outside and enjoy their activities of choice. The mounting brackets are meant for quick and easy on and off mounting and swapping between vehicles/ rack types.

Having trouble uploading pictures. I will try to upload the rest later tonight!

20170130_131246.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles