Yaesu HT not working with repeaters

zuren

Adventurer
I have had my amateur radio license for some time now, but I was only really interested in simplex (radio-to-radio) communication. I have 2 hand transceivers that work radio-to-radio perfectly fine. One is a Yaesu Vx-7R and the other is a TERA TR-590. I can transmit and receive from one radio to the other perfectly.

Now I'm starting with play with repeaters. From what I can see, I have both radios set up exactly the same. Same frequency, same shift, same tone. Both radios will "open" the repeater. When I hit the PTT button on either radio, I hear that someone is trying to transmit on the other radio with both radios tuned into the repeater. When I identify on the TERA, I hear it on my Yaesu...so the TERA is set up correctly. However, when I identify on the Yaesu, I hear the repeater open on the TERA, but nothing else.

I've been through the Yaesu settings 50 times, did a factory reset and reprogram, changed antennas, and tried 2 other repeaters. The Yaesu continues to be able to open the repeater, as confirmed by what I see and hear on the TERA, but no verbal audio comes through.

I'm guessing it is a setting I'm forgetting but I'm not finding it. Has anyone had a similar experience and could point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have had my amateur radio license for some time now, but I was only really interested in simplex (radio-to-radio) communication. I have 2 hand transceivers that work radio-to-radio perfectly fine. One is a Yaesu Vx-7R and the other is a TERA TR-590. I can transmit and receive from one radio to the other perfectly.

Now I'm starting with play with repeaters. From what I can see, I have both radios set up exactly the same. Same frequency, same shift, same tone. Both radios will "open" the repeater. When I hit the PTT button on either radio, I hear that someone is trying to transmit on the other radio with both radios tuned into the repeater. When I identify on the TERA, I hear it on my Yaesu...so the TERA is set up correctly. However, when I identify on the Yaesu, I hear the repeater open on the TERA, but nothing else.

I've been through the Yaesu settings 50 times, did a factory reset and reprogram, changed antennas, and tried 2 other repeaters. The Yaesu continues to be able to open the repeater, as confirmed by what I see and hear on the TERA, but no verbal audio comes through.

I'm guessing it is a setting I'm forgetting but I'm not finding it. Has anyone had a similar experience and could point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

See if this gets you up and running: https://noji.com/hamradio/prog/Yaesu-VX-7R-Programming-Guide.pdf

KI4LTX

Quite often the cause of this symptom is desense, due to the close proximity of the radio you are listening on. the VX-7R very well may be overloading the receiver of the Terra. Try instead to list the help of another ham. Your VX-7R may be working just fine. The Terra may not have the front end filtering that the VX-7R has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier