Yaesu FTM-400XDR/DE "Supplied Ferrite Core"

Andy Douglass

Planning out my install in my 2018 Ram 2500 Cummins.

On Page 29 of the manual, "Connecting the Radio" in Step 1, it says "To reduce high frequency electronic noise, place the Controller Cable through the supplied ferrite core."

It shows a diagram of one of those typical hinged plastic-cased ferrite toroids being placed onto the controller (data) cable from the head unit to the controller panel. There is no ferrite core supplied with my radio, not on the controller cable, not in any of the parts bags, nowhere that I can see. A google search for the radio with ferrite core doesn't turn up anything. A ferrite core is not listed in the manual as being included. The bag that contains my controller cable was not sealed all the way.

Is the manual wrong in stating that the ferrite core is supplied? Or did someone rob the item from my radio and then return it?

dstock

Explorer
Planning out my install in my 2018 Ram 2500 Cummins.

On Page 29 of the manual, "Connecting the Radio" in Step 1, it says "To reduce high frequency electronic noise, place the Controller Cable through the supplied ferrite core."

It shows a diagram of one of those typical hinged plastic-cased ferrite toroids being placed onto the controller (data) cable from the head unit to the controller panel. There is no ferrite core supplied with my radio, not on the controller cable, not in any of the parts bags, nowhere that I can see. A google search for the radio with ferrite core doesn't turn up anything. A ferrite core is not listed in the manual as being included. The bag that contains my controller cable was not sealed all the way.

Is the manual wrong in stating that the ferrite core is supplied? Or did someone rob the item from my radio and then return it?

I don't remember getting one when I purchased my FTM-400XDR last year. I haven't noticed any issues without it.

sonoronos

Usually broken down on the side of the road
I didn't get a ferrite core with my FTM-400DR. I just checked my 400DR manual and it looks like there's a difference in the installation instructions between the 400DR and 400XDR, where the 400DR manual doesn't mention the Ferrite Bead

Strangely, on page 13 of the manual, the RF Choke isn't listed as an included part, so I'm guessing it's either an error in the manual or a part included in some select markets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles