Yaesu FT7900r help!

preacherman

Explorer
I am hoping someone with this radio can help me out. I have one mounted in my truck and recently programmed it with a few local channels. Since the program, I cannot use the mic keys for direct entry to a frq. Everything else about the radio seems to be working. At first I thought it was a mic problem, but I replaced the mic and it still does not work. The transmit, and scan up or scan down buttons on the mic work but nothing else. No light, no other keys, no other buttons.

Here is what I tried so far
New mic
A hard reset
I reprogrammed the radio back to the original pre-problem program settings

I have searched the internet and I cannot find any idea what may be going on. It really feels like it may be a setting issue. I reread the manual hoping to find some setting I forgot about with no luck.

Anyone have ideas?

krick3tt

Adventurer
Have not noticed this issue with mine, but then I only use a few channels and have none preset as you do.
If you bought it at a HAMM shop take it in and ask them. If you bought it off internet, you're probably screwed.

sonoronos

Usually broken down on the side of the road
Could you have possibly inadvertently disabled the VFO mode of the radio?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

preacherman

Explorer
That was a good suggestion, but I just checked it and that was not it. I programed it using the g4hfq software for the ft7900r if that makes a difference.

sonoronos

One other thing to try is to make sure you are in VFO mode before attempting to change the freq:

If that fails, have you tried resetting the radio? That should usually restore normal operation.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with g4hfq...sorry about that...

wirenut

Adventurer
You know your mic has switches on the side for lamp on/off and key lock, right? Did they get thrown?

preacherman

Explorer
Yeah I tried the reset but no dice.
One other thing to try is to make sure you are in VFO mode before attempting to change the freq:
View attachment 514287

If that fails, have you tried resetting the radio? That should usually restore normal operation.
View attachment 514279

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with g4hfq...sorry about that...

You know your mic has switches on the side for lamp on/off and key lock, right? Did they get thrown?

I thought at first that was my problem but I tried a new mic and it still happened.

SARguru

Observer
I’ve had two 7800 the previous model without issues for over 10 years.

Could it be a LOCK setting in menu. I have locked the radio so it can’t do anything but receive, no tx, no vfo, etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sonoronos

To SARguru's point, here's the possible lockout settings

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 9.17.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 9.17.14 AM.png
    77.7 KB · Views: 14

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member