Xterra1744's 2002 Xterra Build and Adventure Thread

Xterra1744

Alright I worked all day and did a ton of sanding, painting, and undercoating. I think the front end turned out nice till I can afford a new bumper at least.

I also made a set of clamps for a shovel and a axe. I used a set of clamps for fence poles, lined in inside with foam tape to prevent squeaks. I ran a bolt through the roof rack, through the center of the clamps. Then I set the first half on the bolt against the rack, ran a nut down to secure it, then I simply clamp the other half on using a wing nut. So far it seems to work pretty good and I couldnt get the shovel or axe to hit the rack or truck no matter how hard I push. Its not the easiest to remove tools and replace them but it was only $15 in parts.

I also did the rear hatch mod which is the bees knees, easily 4-6 inches of extra head room.

Xterra1744

Not in the slightest...I don't want to take it off and have a faded spot. I did contemplate cutting a hole out under it.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Looks excellent. That winch mounting spot is extremely clean. It's funny how big of a difference sanding and bedlining/undercoating can do, really "sanitizes" a rig. Good work.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Awesome! I was excited to see what this thing looked like. The changes that you've made have been great. Nice and practical :)

Xterra1744

I'm pretty pumped I just got my bonus from work. I have high lift mounts coming, aal packs, blisten shocks, an awning, a light bar, and a new vhf radio enroute. Im going to have some work to do next week, I can't wait.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
I'm pretty pumped I just got my bonus from work. I have high lift mounts coming, aal packs, blisten shocks, an awning, a light bar, and a new vhf radio enroute. Im going to have some work to do next week, I can't wait.

Awesome! Let me know if you need a hand with any of it.

Xterra1744

Got a few toys in the mail today and went to work. I mounted my 2m and CB antenna. Which went well until I realized I mounted one of them in the wrong spot and had to move it due to my initial spot being not sturdy enough. So now there is a quickfist covering the holes until I find something else to do with the spot. Both antenna are on springs and quick disconnects and can be strapped to the rack if needed.

Then replaced my old 2m radio with a Cobra 18 cb made to fit in a radio slot. I think it looks better than my old one. I ordered a new 2m radio which will go below the cb in the little cubby hole.

Lastly today I made two 3' by 16" DIY MaxTrax. I had some old mats used for heavy machinery when its being driven around. I figured if I cut it down It might accomplish the same thing. Im still working out where to store them, but Im waiting for my mount for my hilift and my awning to show up before I do anything permanent.

Tomorrow Im hoping to do up a LOBO rack in the back.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I did the same thing. The Cobra 18 fits in there perfectly

HD5Ang6.jpg

Xterra1744

Built my lobo rack today. Im happy how it turned out. ended up drilling and threading eye bolts, and using rubber grommets for the rack to slide into. I bedlined the whole thing and secured the front half with velcro.

I also fixed my high idle problem finally. my timing was advanced ten degrees. She idles much better now, I hope this will help with the ****ty fuel mileage Ive been getting since I bought it.

My awning, lift and shocks are a few days out. I cant wait for them to arrive. Then we have our first trip with it the first weekend in August, and the second in mid August.

Xterra1744

So I got alot installed including my new awning, shocks, and aal. I'll get pics when I get it all squared away as its got a pretty good rake to it. I got 4 inches of lift with the 4x4 parts aal pack. It's a little much, so I'm going to remove a leaf.

As for the front I had to re index the torsion bars which was a huge pain. I took it for a ride and the front end settled so tomorrow I'll be re adjusting the front end. Anyone think the rear Springs will settle to a more acceptable number?

jklewer

Definitely throw some photos up as soon as you get a chance, that will be a help. As for the rake, it will settle some but really, either take a leaf out or throw some weight in there :)

Xterra1744

I'll get pics up tomorrow. Working ot today! Got more stuff to buy. Im good with some rake cause I haul my dirt bike a round but it's ridiculous.

richard310

pew pew
I know my AALs settled after some time. Take it wheeling and try to get it to flex more than normal as this should help it settle quicker.

Time for UCA's. I made the decision after doing the AAL only and seeing the ridiculous amount of rake. It's almost embarrassing how silly it looks. After turning the torsions, I was able to net a pretty decent level lift with a slight OE rake. This reminds I've got re-turn the torsions as I never readjusted after it completely settled.

Get some pictures up! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles