Xterra1744's 2002 Xterra Build and Adventure Thread

Xterra1744

So as promised I have some pics. I got the torsion bars adjusted properly, and dropped a leaf from the add a leaf pack. I had a wheel well to ground gap in the back end of 38 1/2 inches after the add a leaf pack. I dropped a leaf and it has settled to 37 1/2. The front is at 35 1/2. I took it wheeling a little to help settle it down and Ill let the rest go naturally. Heres the before pictures:

And here's the after photos. As you can see I added my ARB awning and rearranged my axe, shovel, and high lift mounts.

And lastly my other toy the X hauls around.

Next on my list of projects is a camping/dirtbike trip in Grayling next weekend, and another one the weekend after that in Huron National forest. There will be pics to follow.

Xterra1744

Ok so my middle class mans lift just turned into a rich mans lift. Took the X in for a alignment and found out the upper ball joints on both side were bad, lower on one side was bad, control arm bushings are shot, and the left front wheel bearings are bad. So I hit up calmini for UCA's, ordered some lower ball joints, and new wheel bearings...hope I get it all in time to go on my trip next weekend and the one after.

Xterra1744

So the past week the wife and I spent in Northwest Michigan for our 1 year wedding anniversary. We put about 900 miles on the X. We spent the first three days in the Manistee National forest driving trails and backpacking. We hiked a 4 mile leg of the Manistee River trail to some awesome waterfalls, and hiked to the highest point in the Lower Peninsula. We did about 50 miles of trail driving which were mild offroad trails with a few more challenging spots. We camped at Seaton Creek Campground which I would highly recommend.

The next 4 days we spent in Frankfort, Elberta and Traverse city. Frankfort is a fun little harbor town with lots to do. We went to Elberta Beach which is a smaller town on the other side of the bay. We wanted to let our dog run and that was allowed there. What we found was the beach and part of the dunes were orv friendly with everything from mud, to hill climbs, to driving on the dunes. It was some moderate offroading and was alot of fun. I did get stuck in the sand but with a little shoveling and my homemade maxtracks I drove right out. We also drove up Old Mission Peninsula and did some wine tastings, after driving to the point.

I have no complaints at all how the truck performed. I cant wait to get my new control arms to finish my 3" lift though. We have a couple small weekend trips planed in September. One will be to our property in the thumb and the other to a campground with friends.

Xterra1744

Thanks alot. I think that's my favorite area in the lower peninsula.

On another note I spoke with Calming today. I ordered my UCA's on August 7th was told they would ship in three to five days. Talked to them today and they still haven't shipped out. I'm not very pleased with them so far. I'm regretting not ordering from 4x4 parts.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Thanks alot. I think that's my favorite area in the lower peninsula.

On another note I spoke with Calming today. I ordered my UCA's on August 7th was told they would ship in three to five days. Talked to them today and they still haven't shipped out. I'm not very pleased with them so far. I'm regretting not ordering from 4x4 parts.

Unfortunately they have a history of similar behavior. I don't want to bad-mouth any company; hopefully you get your order soon.

Xterra1744

Bad News- After waiting to weeks fro my UCA's to leave Calmini they hadnt shipped. I called and cancelled my order because thats ridiculous. Especially when I was told they would be leaving "tomorrow" on two different occasions. So after waiting, I gave up and cancelled my order and was told I would get a refund. Weeeellll its been over two and a half weeks now awaiting a refund. I've called three times and have been told you should be getting it any time now they are usually processed in 7 business days. I will never do business again with Calmini nor will I ever recommend them to anyone...ever. As of today Im still waiting on my refund.

Now for the good news I have another camping trip coming this weekend. Itll be with some friends at a campground but non the less itll be a good time. I cant wait pics will follow.

SRStaff

Observer
Most people go through 4x4parts.com. Sorry to hear about your problems with them. I did order one thing from Calmini and they actually got it to me in a reasonable time.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Man that sucks. Sorry to hear about your misfortunes with Calmini. Unfortunately it seems to be an all too common occurrence. Best of luck getting your money back.

Awesome build. I love your home made maxtracks. I have thought of trying to make one too. I will go around some hardware stores and see what I can come up with.

Xterra1744

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Just called again today and was promised a call back. Its now week three of waiting for my money back and week 5 since I placed my order.

I had a 2 DIN mount in there from when the previous owner replaced the radio. I just slid the Cobra into the slot and it was done.

richard310

pew pew
That's just plain horrible business ethics on their end. Empty promises; where's the honesty and integrity anymore? I've heard the horror stories but I went through them as well for LCA's, IAB, and a few other small items as they're somewhat local ( I could drive there if I really need to). Fortunately (mostly luck) they shipped at a reasonable time for me. Hope the fiasco ends with your money back and no more headache.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles