Xterra vinyl ideas instead of painting

AutoXSS

Adventurer
I have a clear coat issues on my rear hatch as well as a small oxidation paint bubble above my rear fender. I plan on smoothing out and wet sanding the clear coat peal and do some quick sanding/priming on the bubble to prevent rust. Im not gonna repaint the vehicle due to costs. Im thinking about adding some vinyl over the area in a "stylish" aesthetically pleasing way. Our autocross car has some good vinyl. Lots of sponsorship type stuff.
Anyone have interesting vinyl ideas or have had it done on their X?

abcab69

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/nissan-photos-post-yours.13922/page-183

I really like this Patrol decal. I would just need alittle more cover, but not much.
There really is not much decal on my vehicle at all.
459306f286053d307e763f3f87abe957.jpg

I do however also have a major problem with my clear flaking off all over now. Roof is particularly bad, as well as the fenders. Also thought of flatting the paint work and doing as you have suggested. Actually know somebody in the signage business here, and could lay my hands on vinyl offcuts. Thought of pulling off something like this.
fc0f65cf44a2428ed042a63bfa3390a8.jpg

But I believe you run into problems when crossing borders with any type of camo decal, even if it is pink,blue and yellow....lol

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

J!m

Yeah, I would avoid anything that looks like camo for sure. Also, if you do international travel, particularly in Africa and other less developed areas, you may want to also avoid OD green, desert tan and black for similar reasons.

I have also found that having a lot of sponsor decals can attract the wrong (read:thieves) attention as well.

Peeling roof- i'd scuff it and do a high gloss white. If you have steel wheels they could be done to match.

Lower portion of the body could be "two-toned" and you might consider using bed liner for it too.

abcab69

Yip, got my work cut out. My plastic door trim sections are also coming apart after 20 years of sun. I ripped one off the other day hauling myself out from under the car. So need to see what plan I can make around that problem. One advantage I do have, is that most my body is fiberglass, and I have some body alterations in mind to make the fendors front and rear wider to hide the 33x12.5s.
aa71f6038712f3ef80303b2f24e0b5aa.jpg

Those light grey sections are plastic pieces that are mostly brittle, and starting to crack. So iether I extend the body with some bar work, or add some fiberglass contouring with my own creative "flare".

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

broncobowsher

Adventurer
If the clear coat is starting to peel, and you put vinyl wrap over peeling clear coat, the vinyl will stick to the separating clear but not the vehicle that the clear is separating from. Much like the painter's motto, the finish is only as good as the prep. Unless you fix the surface the sticker should be sticking to it is going to end in failure.

Sedonut

Adventurer
I put a camo vinyl wrap on the hood of my truck in Arizona. 5 years in the Arizona sun and is cooked and peeling. It looked good for the first 3 years. I avoid combat zones at all costs.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
The woes with vinyl are the slowly passing rocks, long gravel roads, and scratchy desert flora. Vinyl doesn't stand a chance against desert pin stripping. If you never plan to go off road, then vinyl is a good look. Not so long ago i had the idea that I would do my complete RAM pickup and Lance camper in desert tan Monstaliner, a hard, semi armored textured coating, not a paint. I could not get a response from the factory about how much I would need and what it weighed per spare foot so i tabled the motion. Look up some samples on the net.
jefe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94