Xterra Pro4X Build - Offroad Adventuring

Z1_Matt

Small(ish) update:

I installed the Dobinsons IMS coilovers at the end of August, and they are pretty awesome. I'm really happy with how they perform on and offroad.

Haven't had much of a chance to go wheeling lately. I was planning on going to Windrock a few months ago, but ironically got covid just days before the event. I'm planning a trip to the Talladega National Forest soon.

I threw the NISMO bumper on just a few weekends ago. Just waiting for my lights to come in ?

_8002699-HDR.jpg by Matt Yates, on Flickr

Last edited:

Z1_Matt

Now the Xterra has another friend. Back in December, I picked up this Knight Armor Grey 2012 Pro4X from a local that was selling it in a Facebook group after it had been involved in a pretty minor accident. Most of the parts I already needed were sitting in my shed from the installation of the NISMO bumper, so I figured...why the hell not? It's in pretty decent shape otherwise and has been well cared for by the previous owners. Not sure what I'll do with it, but it may be a candidate for some future fun now that it is fixed.

20211222-170654.jpg
20211222-155251.jpg

Welric

Nice man! Just subscribed to you Insta! Inspiring build! Would love your insight on a future build... I saw a 2014 xterra with 56k miles on, in great shape.... for around 17k USD but no rear diff lock or other goodies on the pro 4x. Would like to build an Expedition vehicle. Nothing crazy...
Equivalent used SR5 4Runner are double that price here in Canada. So i tought the Xterra would be a great buy for my first 4x4. What do you think? Thanks

broncot

Do you come north at all? Nexterra is hosting our annual East Coast Xterra Challenge in July at Rausch Creek. IMG_20210717_0854089.jpg

Sent from my BBE100-5 using Tapatalk

Z1_Matt

Nice man! Just subscribed to you Insta! Inspiring build! Would love your insight on a future build... I saw a 2014 xterra with 56k miles on, in great shape.... for around 17k USD but no rear diff lock or other goodies on the pro 4x. Would like to build an Expedition vehicle. Nothing crazy...
Equivalent used SR5 4Runner are double that price here in Canada. So i tought the Xterra would be a great buy for my first 4x4. What do you think? Thanks

Thanks!!

The Xterra you're looking at is priced pretty average for its age and milage. In all honesty, you'd probably be fine if you wanted something moderate. The C200 axle is pretty decent, and you can get an airlocker in it the stock diff or swap the Pro4X's Dana E-Locker into it if it ever came down to it.

They're pretty reliable, especially in the later years (pre 2011). Anything 2012+ is sure to be an awesome ride!

Do you come north at all? Nexterra is hosting our annual East Coast Xterra Challenge in July at Rausch Creek. View attachment 714218

Sent from my BBE100-5 using Tapatalk

I do on occasion, however, gas prices have pretty much killed any possibility of long-distance drives to go wheeling for a while. I average about 13mpg and spend about $70to fill up the tank these days, which is rough on a long drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles