XT-225 Serow?

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I think the XT would be great, and unlike the Kawai Sherpa you don't have to worry as much about somebody stealing it. I worried about my 74 Trail-90 every time I took it out, and ended up selling it because it was more of a liability than a utility bike. I would imagine that it all depends on where you live. Used bikes around here in the Bay Area are way over priced these days, and the good deals are sold quickly. You might expand your search for multiple models to increase your chances of finding a good bike at a decent price.

When I'm looking for something specific I set up Craigslist and Cycle Trader email and text alerts. This has worked really well for me getting in on a deal quickly. You have to set up accounts with both of those, but it's worth it. Next, you just have to be patient and attentive to the alerts. It literally took me years to find my CRF250X at the price and condition that I wanted. I suggest setting up alerts for multiple bikes that fit your criteria and just waiting it out. I looked for a TW200 for years and still get updates, but they are always way over priced. In the end I decided I didn't want the TW because of the odd sized rear tire. I want something that uses common sizes.

Having a small reliable dual sport is great, and so utilitarian.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I think the XT would be great, and unlike the Kawai Sherpa you don't have to worry as much about somebody stealing it. I worried about my 74 Trail-90 every time I took it out, and ended up selling it because it was more of a liability than a utility bike. I would imagine that it all depends on where you live. Used bikes around here in the Bay Area are way over priced these days, and the good deals are sold quickly. You might expand your search for multiple models to increase your chances of finding a good bike at a decent price.

When I'm looking for something specific I set up Craigslist and Cycle Trader email and text alerts. This has worked really well for me getting in on a deal quickly. You have to set up accounts with both of those, but it's worth it. Next, you just have to be patient and attentive to the alerts. It literally took me years to find my CRF250X at the price and condition that I wanted. I suggest setting up alerts for multiple bikes that fit your criteria and just waiting it out. I looked for a TW200 for years and still get updates, but they are always way over priced. In the end I decided I didn't want the TW because of the odd sized rear tire. I want something that uses common sizes.

Having a small reliable dual sport is great, and so utilitarian.

Cabrito-

Love your thoughts on CRF250 (stock) as a trials starter bike? I have chance to participate in interesting event but it's all trails, trails at night, so I'm learning/leaning toward the Honda line. Much appreciated!

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Cabrito-

Love your thoughts on CRF250 (stock) as a trials starter bike? I have chance to participate in interesting event but it's all trails, trails at night, so I'm learning/leaning toward the Honda line. Much appreciated!

Hey Paul,
I have no experience on trials bikes other than a few brief rides.

I’ve watched pro’s like Graham Jarvis ride their dirt bikes like trials bikes and make it look easy.

The CRF250 has a lot of torque and the gearing is probably much different from a trials bike. It’s also way heavier than a trials bike, but you know all that already. I find the ergo's on the trials bikes to be awkward and hard to get used to, but assume that it helps with the standing and balancing.

Trials at night sounds interesting since those bikes don't usually have headlights. The headlight on the CRF250X is not very bright so you might need some sort of helmet mounted light. My 250 was super easy to coax the front off the ground and turn the bike, and I looped it a few times too. In that way it should lend itself to easy trials type of riding.

I have a friend who teaches trials and he has folks practice on their dirt bikes. There are a lot of balance drills you can do on any bike, but having a dirt bike is nice for when you drop it over and over.

Once nice thing about having a trail bike vs a trials bike is that you can also use it to ride trails in the woods or around the compound. Trials bikes aren't comfortable for any type of riding other than putting around obstacles and they carry very little fuel.

Not sure if any of this is helpful, but it's fun to talk about.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Hey Paul,
I have no experience on trials bikes other than a few brief rides.

I’ve watched pro’s like Graham Jarvis ride their dirt bikes like trials bikes and make it look easy.

The CRF250 has a lot of torque and the gearing is probably much different from a trials bike. It’s also way heavier than a trials bike, but you know all that already. I find the ergo's on the trials bikes to be awkward and hard to get used to, but assume that it helps with the standing and balancing.

Trials at night sounds interesting since those bikes don't usually have headlights. The headlight on the CRF250X is not very bright so you might need some sort of helmet mounted light. My 250 was super easy to coax the front off the ground and turn the bike, and I looped it a few times too. In that way it should lend itself to easy trials type of riding.

I have a friend who teaches trials and he has folks practice on their dirt bikes. There are a lot of balance drills you can do on any bike, but having a dirt bike is nice for when you drop it over and over.

Once nice thing about having a trail bike vs a trials bike is that you can also use it to ride trails in the woods or around the compound. Trials bikes aren't comfortable for any type of riding other than putting around obstacles and they carry very little fuel.

Not sure if any of this is helpful, but it's fun to talk about.

Thanks! My fat fingers miss spelled trails for trials! Not doing any trials stuff, strictly dirt and desert stuff. Looked at two crf250rx today and learned a great deal from the sales reps so most likely will be the bike I end up with. Thanks again for your detailed response. Greatly appreciated!

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Thanks! My fat fingers miss spelled trails for trials! Not doing any trials stuff, strictly dirt and desert stuff. Looked at two crf250rx today and learned a great deal from the sales reps so most likely will be the bike I end up with. Thanks again for your detailed response. Greatly appreciated!

Oh! In that case I have a completely different response! The CRF250X is an awesome trail bike! The headlight still sucks though..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles