XT-225 Serow?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Been riding on the street for almost 40 years (started in 1982) but thinking of getting a small dirt bike. Don't want to do anything crazy on the dirt, just something small and easy to putt around on dirt roads and trails that are plentiful around here.

I like the TW-200 but it seems they've acquired a bit of a "cult following" so they are IMO overpriced on the market. I'm thinking of maybe looking at an XT-225 (also called the Serow.) Anyone have experience with this and how would it be for a starter dirt bike? Definitely needs to be street legal because I don't want to have to trailer it but I'm also definitely not interested in a big, heavy, 650 class bike like the KLR or DR 650. I want something small and light, I already have a couple of big, heavy bikes.

Thanks in advance!

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
It’s got a low seat height which appeals to many. But I would call it real light. I think it’s around 330#. But compared to your street bikes that would be light. One complaint I hear is they’re only 5-speed (?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkam

nomadic man
I'm always going to recommend the Kawasaki Super Sherpa.
It has so much going for it as an all around little bike.
Hard to find and they do retain their value well.
250cc air cooled, 6 speed, digital dash, 18 and 21 inch wheels for easy to find tires.
Disc brakes front and rear, stainless exhaust and easy to maintain. Damn near bulletproof.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm always going to recommend the Kawasaki Super Sherpa.
It has so much going for it as an all around little bike.
Hard to find and they do retain their value well.
250cc air cooled, 6 speed, digital dash, 18 and 21 inch wheels for easy to find tires.
Disc brakes front and rear, stainless exhaust and easy to maintain. Damn near bulletproof.

Would love a Super Sherpa but they are absolutely unobtainium around here. Ditto for the TW200 which is either not available or 20 year old examples are offered for $3000+.

180out

I'm telling you the Himalayan is where it is at. front and rear selectable abs. fuel injection, air cooled, oil cooler. 411cc 5 speed. adjustable mono rear shock, disk breaks. does the tarmac good to. proven engine design and one of the oldest motor cycle companies.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'm telling you the Himalayan is where it is at. front and rear selectable abs. fuel injection, air cooled, oil cooler. 411cc 5 speed. adjustable mono rear shock, disk breaks. does the tarmac good to. proven engine design and one of the oldest motor cycle companies.

My budget is $3k max. This will be my 3rd bike and basically a beater, absolutely not interested in anything new.

jkam

nomadic man
And, I'm not a fan of the TW -200 because it's small fat tires aren't the best for highway speeds.
Something I need to be able to do.
My Sherpa will cruise 65 all day long.

perterra

Adventurer
Any of the small 225 - 300 dual sports will get you around just fine, the WR250R has pretty good power, but all will move you along.

EMrider

Explorer
xt225 serows are great bikes with a cult following. Many have done RTW trips. Great starter dirt bike. Good luck finding one.

R

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
LOL......Careful what you wish for. The damn Super Sherpas are so damn popular right now I don't dare leave ours in town or on the street down in Boulder due to the moto theft problems. Heck, one strong guy with a pickup and its on Craigslist. Good luck and will be interested in what you go with!

F8B992BF-27E0-4BC5-9479-E04AEF22C231.jpeg69BEC469-C719-444B-9690-76758E3F2C47.jpeg

jbaucom

And, I'm not a fan of the TW -200 because it's small fat tires aren't the best for highway speeds.

This right here. If the vast majority of your miles will be off pavement, or low speed secondary roads, the TW200's fat tires wouldn't be an issue, but those fat tires aren't great when you hit main roads with speed limits 55 mph and above. Dad has an old Suzuki RV125, which is the same fat-tired bike concept, and he never rode it, because it wasn't comfortable on the highway. It still only has about 500 miles on it, and it's nearly 50 years old.

Last edited:

jkam

nomadic man
A couple of years ago, that bike would be listed for about $2300. And would sell quick.
With todays inflated prices, it still might sell quick.

And Paul, you need to fix your sig line. The Sherpa is a KL250.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
A couple of years ago, that bike would be listed for about $2300. And would sell quick.
With todays inflated prices, it still might sell quick.

And Paul, you need to fix your sig line. The Sherpa is a KL250.

Smile.......Kawasaki designated it the klr250/kl250 ours is a US designated klr250. fwiw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne