XR8DXJ's 1997 Cherokee SE Build...

colter

Observer
hey, I've enjoyed the heck out of this thread. oh, I remember xj-forum too. back when I had my 88 and some crummy tomken parts too.

xr8dxj

Adventurer
rainbow.jpg

(Above) Look what ya can at the end of the rainbow.
PC270013.jpg

(Above) This is what the driver passenger area looks like these days. Pay no attention to the windshield cracks. They been there for over 10 year.
PC270014.jpg

(Above) This is the slimmer Radio Shack CB and external speaker.
PC270021.jpg

(Above) This is where I had the ARB switches installed.
puma.jpg

(Above) Here is a close up pic of the Puma air compressor. The ARB under the hood still runs the ARBs. This is just for working air.
PC.jpg

Microsoft Streets & Trips 2010

I'll do an actual write-up on my Puma install and Microsoft Streets & Trips 2010 experiences later. But before I do, I was pleased to discover today that the GPS receiver/dongle for Streets & Trips will work with GoogleEarth's GPS function. However, it won't work with both Streets & Trips & GoogleEarth simultaneously.

Last edited:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I was pleased to discover today that the GPS receiver/dongle for Streets & Trips will work with GoogleEarth's GPS function. However, it won't work with both Streets & Trips & GoogleEarth simultaneously.

There is a way to make this work...

I'm not a Windows guy so bear with me...

Something about a product called Xport (or similar?) and it "muxes" the GPS to two output streams via virtual com ports.

xr8dxj

Adventurer
I just downloaded the Xport thingy. It looks cool, but when I go to launch it, it gives me an "Error: You do not have the proper rights" message. I'm gonna Google another similar thingy. In the mean time, this is a screen capture from running Streets & Trips & GoogleEarth simultaneously; Street & Trips from the MS GPS dongle & GoogleEarth from my Garmin Vista eTrex HCx.
printscreen.jpg

Some of the other mods in store for XJ with 45-days are as follows:
Big Off Road 6" Heavy Duty (HD) Leaf Packs
Treks Offroad 1.5" Lift U-Bolt Eliminators

Filmtools Gripper 115 In-Car Windshield Camera Mount (installed 05Jan)
RAM Mount Jeep Cherokee Dual Arm Laptop Vehicle Mount (ordered)

Kenwood TM-V71A Dual Band Radio (but I'm open to suggestions; I'm a complete newb, do not yet have a Technician license, etc)

Last edited:

xr8dxj

Adventurer
Here's a Microsoft Streets & Trips 2010 update:

Since Christmas I haven’t had much time to get acquainted with Microsoft Streets & Trips 2010. Since today was the first day of 2010, I figured it was as good a day as any to start. My wife and I decided to take an afternoon drive so I grabbed the laptop and headed to the Jeep.

I had already discovered that the provided GPS receiver dongle wouldn’t run both S&T and GoogleEarth simultaneously without the assistance of a virtual port. I downloaded XPort, but couldn’t figure out how to get it run. So I decided I would run S&T from the GPS receiver dongle and GoogleEarth from my Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. I split the screen so I could monitor each program, whilst driving. LOL. Both GPS’ tracked pretty well, even in the mountains. I knew the eTrex was a solid performer, so this was mostly as test for the S&T GPS dongle. In the mountains the S&T GPS dongle’s signal would wane just a tad, allowing the track to slip off of the road a few meters. At the one coffee pit-stop we took in the mountains [39° 15.259'N 105° 13.610'W], the GPS signal would wander as much as 175m; but at the Start, Waffle House stop, and End the GPS signal would only wander 30m. I measured the “GPS wander,” by using GoogleEarth’s ruler tool.

When we got home, I saved the S&T track as a map (*.est) file and exported it as a *.gpx to view the track in GoogleEarth. I have yet to discover if S&T allows you to measure/calculate a track, max/min speeds & times, etc. I then tried to import the file into MapSource. For some reason MapSource wouldn’t open the file. So I imported the track from the eTrex to calculate the 174-mi distance of our day trip. When I tried to save the track as a *.gpx in MapSource it shut the program down. I think my MapSource is jacked-up.

If you would like to view the *.est, *.kmz & *.gpx files from today’s trip, here are the links (but I can't get them to download correctly):
http://www.xr8dxj.com/20100101_Day_Trip.est
http://www.xr8dxj.com/20100101_Day_Trip.kmz
http://www.xr8dxj.com/20100101_Day_Trip.gpx

What I need to do is:
Find a suitable virtual port that will allow me to run Streets & Trips and GoogleEarth simultaneously from the S&T GPS receiver dongle
Figure out what the heck is going on with my MapSource
Figure out if it is possible to calculate track distance, average speed, etc (just like MapSource does!)

Last edited:

xr8dxj

Adventurer
Below is the Craigslist add for a winch I had been trying to off-load for a a couple months. I dropped the price from $900 to $700. Yesterday a guy asked if I would be willing to trade straight across for a used Warn 8274... I bit. And here's the new winch!
XR8DXJ8274.jpg

Warn Series-9 12V DC Electric Winch (PN: 30283) - $700
Date: 2010-01-01, 12:56AM MST
Reply to: sale-3ndps-1532558010@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Warn Series-9 12V DC Electric Winch (PN: 30283) | $700 OBO

Start 2010 off right! This winch has never been mounted or used. I am selling it because it is too big to fit on my winch bumper. What you get: the winch, the winch remote control and at no cost to you I will throw in the pictured painting. That's right, you'll be the proud owner of the winch AND this incredible painting. You must act fast because my wife doesn't exactly know it is part of the deal. This painting would look great about your fireplace where you will see it day after day after day when you come home from work or perhaps after a day of vehicle recovery with your new Warn Series-9 12V DC Electric Winch.

Here are some of the particulars of the winch from the Warn website [http://www.warn.com/industrial/winches/series_9dc.shtml]

The Series 9 DC features a weatherproof industrial contactor and heavy duty remote control. The disc brake is designed for extended power-out use and the motor is protected by a thermal overload switch. Its higher gear ratio of 199:1 provides fast line speed. Designed to meet SAE J706 and CE standards.

FASTEST LINE SPEED OF ALL WARN DC WINCHES
o Pulling capacity up to 9,000 lbs.
o Higher gear ratio for fastest line speed
o Weatherproof industrial contactor control pack
o Rugged 32' (10m) industrial remote control
o SAE J706-compliant disc brake designed for extended power-out use
o Thermal overload switch protects motor from overheating

9 DC SPECS/PART NUMBERS
Maximum Rated Load: 9000 lbs (4091kg)
Maximum Wire Rope Recommended: 1/2" 26600 lbs (12091 kg) minimum breaking strength
Drum Barrel Diameter: 4.0" (102mm)
Drum Flange Diameter: 8.24" (209mm)
Distance Between Flanges: 9.95" (253mm)
Contactor: Industrial contactor with 32' (10 M) heavy duty remote control
Gear Ratio: 199:1
Motor: 12 volt DC Series Wound 2.5 hp (1.87 KW), 24 volt DC Series Wound 2.5 hp (1.87 KW)
Approximate Shipping Weight: 95 lbs (43 kg)
Standard Compliance: SAE J706, NFPA 1901-73 and CE Machinery Directive 98/37/EEC

Warn sells this winch on their website for $1,966.88. I have found it for as low as $1,243.99. I Google'd the winch and took the five lowest prices to determine the average price: $1,454.41

Check my math!
Website-------------Price
quadratec.com------$1,243.99
race-mart.com------$1,384.68
towpartsnow.com---$1,495.95
truckchamp.com----$1,573.50
xtremeterrain.com---$1,573.95
AVERAGE---------$7,272.07 / 5 = $1,454.41

More math... Check out your savings!
Manufacturer--$1,966.88 - $700.00 = $1,266.88 savings
Average-------$1,454.41 - $700.00 = $754.41 savings
Lowest--------$1,243.99 - $700.00 = $543.99 savings

Please do not sully the deal by asking for further discounts, payment plans or trades.

Click to links to view larger pics:
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/longtab/9seriesfront.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/longtab/9seriesclose.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/longtab/9seriestop.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/longtab/WarnSeries9Winch.jpg

The winch is operational, but I'm going to take the opportunity to rebuild it in my spare time.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Below is the Craigslist add for a winch I had been trying to off-load for a a couple months. I dropped the price from $900 to $700. Yesterday a guy asked if I would be willing to trade straight across for a used Warn 8274... I bit. And here's the new winch!

The winch is operational, but I'm going to take the opportunity to rebuild it in my spare time.

interesting. will that fit somehow on your hanson bumper? I thought those were forward mounting? (looks like it)

xr8dxj

Adventurer
Maybe try this one: http://franson.com/gpsgate/
Seems to be popular at mp3car.com forums.
That may very well fit the bill, thanks for finding that and saving me another google search!
interesting. will that fit somehow on your hanson bumper? I thought those were forward mounting? (looks like it)
Well, I already have the Smittybilt XCR10 winch on my XJ. But as fate would have it, Hanson makes their "Hanson Offroad Fairlead Mount" specifically designed for the 8274:
8274Fairlead.jpg

Today when I got home my last Christmas present was waiting for me on the doorstep. I received a Filmtools Gripper 115 In-Car Windshield Camera Mount. I've always wanted one... well at least as long as I've been watching "Storm Chasers." :D I ran right back out to the garage to stick it on! And here are a couple pics modeling my wife's digital camera.
P1060002.jpg
P1060005.jpg

P1060003.jpg
P1060004.jpg

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
ahhh..i see.

very cool!

those are great winches if you can mount them solidly.(which looks to be a non-issue for you)

Do you think I could use that on my logans metal bumper? just a standard 4" x 10" mounting
pattern?

here's my bumper...

DSC07757.jpg

DSC07766.jpg

Last edited:

xr8dxj

Adventurer
Do you think I could use that on my logans metal bumper? just a standard 4" x 10" mounting pattern?

Logans actually makes their own version of a 8274 winch plate. Theirs is a less expensive and looks beefier. I came across their winch plate when I was Google'n 8274 winch plates. Check 'em out!

Here's a question for you. Do you have close up pics of your awning and how it mounts to your roof rack? I've always been interested the "how" of the mounting system.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Logans actually makes their own version of a 8274 winch plate. Theirs is a less expensive and looks beefier. I came across their winch plate when I was Google'n 8274 winch plates. Check 'em out!

Here's a question for you. Do you have close up pics of your awning and how it mounts to your roof rack? I've always been interested the "how" of the mounting system.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for pics of how I mounted mine.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27850&page=5

You basically have a channel the full length of the awning and are supplied 6 bolts (not sure of the size). I'm planning on adding a Megamule this year, and wanted to use my thule bars in the meantime. My requirements were: sturdy, light, cheap and free...haha. I've had it up there for about 5 months now. Very strong, no movement when deploying. You seem pretty resourceful, so I'd be interested pics of how you mount yours, if you got one. I've seen quite a few very slick solutions...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles