XPS Sandwich Panels availability in the US

rruff

Explorer
That’s what I’m going to do. Embed some aluminum square tube for studs where needed.
Look at fiberglass square tube, if you care about thermal transfer at all.

Use good foam and good skins. I think Carbon Core has the cheapest structural foam. Don't use the foam or skins that the guy in the video used!

Last edited:
Look at fiberglass square tub, if you care about thermal transfer at all.

Use good foam and good skins. I think Carbon Core has the cheapest structural foam. Don't use the foam or skins that the guy in the video used!

The video is not available to see (for me at least). I was planning on using FRP sheets and XPS Sheets from Lowes. I don’t know Carbon Core where is that sold? I did find some folks on Facebook marketplace selling FRP sheets as well at a quarter of price of box store. I need to see it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rruff

Explorer
If you want to do this on a very low budget, I guess you can use anything... but XPS will be weak. I wouldn't use it without wood reinforcement, and I'd condition the surface to make it stronger. The FRP I've seen at hardware stores has low fiber content and is weak and flexible; made to be bonded to a rigid substrate. If might be good enough for how you plan to use it, though.

This is the foam I mentioned: https://www.carbon-core.com/product-category/structural-foam/

If you want to do this on a very low budget, I guess you can use anything... but XPS will be weak. I wouldn't use it without wood reinforcement, and I'd condition the surface to make it stronger. The FRP I've seen at hardware stores has low fiber content and is weak and flexible; made to be bonded to a rigid substrate. If might be good enough for how you plan to use it, though.

This is the foam I mentioned: https://www.carbon-core.com/product-category/structural-foam/

I just researched the specs on the box store FRP it says indoor use only. So must source a different exterior skin.

I just researched the specs on the box store FRP it says indoor use only. So must source a different exterior skin.

Thanks for the link. I’m no expert but it seems the Box store XPS has a minimum compressive strength of 25 PSI. It seems the link you sent shows a CS of lower. Paired with a good skin for exterior use shouldn’t this be sufficient? At the end of the day, I just need a super stable habitat, with good R value, water tight, that’s not gonna rip apart as I drive down the high way. Oh, and I want to be able to put 300 lbs of solar panels on top.

rruff

Explorer
The compressive strength of the PVC foam is 148psi vs 25psi.

I wouldn't use XPS unless there was wood in the core as well (convenient hard points then too), and I'd sand it and use a wall paper perforator to texture the surface. But you can try whatever you wish.

The compressive strength of the PVC foam is 148psi vs 25psi.

I wouldn't use XPS unless there was wood in the core as well (convenient hard points then too), and I'd sand it and use a wall paper perforator to texture the surface. But you can try whatever you wish.

Oh of course, I’m learning so any info is gold to me. It would be interesting to me to see what companies like total composites and globe trekker are using. Also, have you built a habitat and what did you use? What I have been working on is putting together an estimate of what it would cost me to make my own panels. I thank you for sharing.

rruff

Explorer
Total Composites *was* using PU foam and good quality skins made for the purpose; don't recall the manufacturer. If you can get skins from Vetroresina, those would be good.

The problem with XPS besides the foam itself being weak, is that it hard to get a good bond. The cells are extremely tiny vs the PVC I used.

I used PVC foam from Carbon Core, and hand layup fiberglass or carbon and epoxy. My inclination was to go cheap... but I'm not poor, and in the grand scheme of things the extra cost of materials isn't that much. I wouldn't recommend hand layup because it is very messy; sanding especially.

Do your research... and before you settle on anything, make samples and destruction test them. I did a lot of "bending stiffness and strength" and "whack it with a mini sledge" tests... I liked that part!

BTW, this discussion is really OT for this thread. There have been others dedicated to DIY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94