Xpedition Camper out of Minnesota

loonwheeler

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing your design. Any overhead storage planned? Just curious since this space around the upper perimeter of the cabin doesn't take a way floor space and usually isn't in the way of your head if designed properly.

I personally find under the bed storage great for items that aren't needed to be accessed all that often (daily). Getting under cushions and moving bedding isn't the most convenient - but can serve as a very efficient use of space.

Hoefler

Supporting Sponsor: Haf Xpedition Camper
Yup, going to build in some overhead storage. These are small and are intended for daily accessed items. We dont want big overheads which would fill up with big stuff. Big stuff can add weight up high and challenge the center of gravity.
The rear bench will have the water tanks situated on left and right hand center line of vehicle. Keeping the heavy stuff low close to the center prevents bad vehicle handling.
Pete

loonwheeler

Adventurer
Pete - good idea to put the water tanks under the seating / bed area and making overhead storage for the small items above. Exactly the same for the remodel / reconfiguration I am considering for my camper in the near future.

Hoefler

The truck portion has been singled out with a set of custom steel 20" rims. Camper rides well on this chassis but perhaps close to its pragmatic capacity. The camper is near perfectly balanced with a 50/50 weight balance. This camper is not finished but will be shown at the Expo this week.
Pete

Attachments

• Dside.jpg
    Dside.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 131
  • dpside.jpg
    dpside.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 138

Hoefler

We are back from Expo west and wish to thank all those who stopped by. We had great response and suggestions going forward. Anxious going forward and making changes.
After a 1600 mile round trip I know we must put this on a diet. The 1 ton handled the camper well, but 500 to 750 pounds less would make this a perfect match for the vehicle.
We did have two issues on the way back-I forgot to shut the fan lid on the roof-it sort of wrecked itself. Also forgot to latch a side window and lost the lid on way back. But through this (traffic and storms), the camper stayed on the truck in the same posisition as when we started.
Thanks to all again-you people are great!
Pete

loonwheeler

Adventurer
Hi Pete - nice to meet you at Expo West and thanks for taking the time to let us check out the camper with you. Congrats on the construction so far and looking forward to the future progress you make.

Cascadian

Observer
Hi Pete, great work! May I ask what kind of super single conversion rims you ended up with? What kind of weight rating were you able to get?

Thanks.

Hoefler

Cascadian,
Thanks.
I had a company out of Wisconsin build them for me. John Staz of Stazworks is a good guy to work with. I had him make me a set for my 3500 Cab Chassis Silverado-sort of a non conventional truck to single out. They for perfect and drive nice.
I went with 20" custom made steel rims and Nito trail tires. rating is 4,000 per tire.
Pete

Darwin

Explorer
Noticed you added some more info on the website. That exoskeleton looks like an awesome idea!

Hoefler

Yup. Running this one through engineering. We got the weight down to 1800 pounds for entire shell with sub frame and over cab. Will have a completed unit for October expo.
We learned a lot in Flagstaff! Here we go.

jamesk

Observer
Can you make one of these babies custom for a cutaway E-350 with a passthru?

I would go this route instead of ambo.

Hoefler

We have made a few big changes to our camper shell based on input from the Flaggstaff Expo. We have changed our wall system to a more flush look along with method of manufacture. This has reduced a significant amount of weight. The shell is currently being dis assembled for some fabrication modifications. Once done in fab, we will be rebuilding and final finishing.
Pete

Attachments

• Camper (V2) - 6.jpg
    Camper (V2) - 6.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Camper (V2) - 5.jpg
    Camper (V2) - 5.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 91
  • Camper (V2) - 3-2.jpg
    Camper (V2) - 3-2.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Camper (V2) - 2.jpg