XPCamper goes out of business, files for bankruptcy?

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Lots of reasons to go with petrol vs diesel for these smaller expedition vehicles. EarthCruiser was forced to switch when Fuso switched to petrol but they seem to be happy with the change.

Will be cool to see if the 7.3 will end up with some performance enhancements in the next bit. Seems to be derated a bit and very stout. Also these new trannies (7.3 gets the new 10 speed) are sort of magical. My brother has a 6.4 Ram with the new ZF 8 speed and it gets better gas mileage than my old 7.3 Powerstroke.

rruff

Explorer
Trying to figure out why the XPCamper folks (old and new) don't just focus on doing the camper and not the full truck mods? Focus like a laser on the units, figure out a fair common form of fitment and let people bring their own flatbeds to the table? Just like every other truck camper manufacturer does. Of course there will be need for fitment and install assistance but it would simplify the whole thing. Are you a flatbed company or a camper company?

One thing... the newer F350s (starting in 2017 I think) have the fully boxed frame, if you buy one with a bed. Think the cab-chassis is still C channel in the back. The boxed frame should be stiff enough to work well without needing a pivoting mount for the flatbed.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat

1000arms

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Wow. Best of luck to them. Unfortunately the market just dried up for house priced trucks. Hell it just dried up for houses too.

I am sure its down noticeably, but independently wealthy folks don't follow economic trends as closely. Though much of that wealth can be tied to the stock market. I would argue now is not a good time for a launch, with no Expo like events for the near future...

tacollie

Glamper
I think they are smart to raise the price. $100k for a camper was already out of a lot of people budget. By raising prices they can create a premium product and a business that will last.

utherjorge

Observer
I'm really disappointed with not just the product. Let's be clear: I wasn't in the market anyway.

However, to begin with, the new owners (using the website as an example) have mentioned nothing about the previous company that they are "building" from. I mean, I get it, with the bad press, but it's not mentioned there at all.

It also seems at least slightly dirty to read the article on the ExPo main page about this company. This is the place where you could expect to see that important piece of information...and to exclude it seems disingenuous. Reading that article seems really weird.

but then I see the "Nimbl" name listed first in the forum headings for the whole sub forum. Pasted below, the new text from this:
"Nimbl Vehicles, EarthCruiser, EarthRoamer, GXV, small volume bespoke expedition camper manufacturers.
Sponsored by Nimbl Vehicles"

So, how much has Nimbl paid ExPo to whitewash stuff?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I'm really disappointed with not just the product. Let's be clear: I wasn't in the market anyway.

However, to begin with, the new owners (using the website as an example) have mentioned nothing about the previous company that they are "building" from. I mean, I get it, with the bad press, but it's not mentioned there at all.

It also seems at least slightly dirty to read the article on the ExPo main page about this company. This is the place where you could expect to see that important piece of information...and to exclude it seems disingenuous. Reading that article seems really weird.

but then I see the "Nimbl" name listed first in the forum headings for the whole sub forum. Pasted below, the new text from this:
"Nimbl Vehicles, EarthCruiser, EarthRoamer, GXV, small volume bespoke expedition camper manufacturers.

It's called marketing. If you like to promote your products or your business in basicly any online forum, you need to pay. This comes with different levels of pricing and services. Without these fees, a well run platform like this would not be able to survive. For us, these fees are fully justified and we are very happy to support Expedition Portal so that members can do research and post about their trips.

utherjorge

Observer
I don't mind the fees. I gather it's marketing...sure.

However, here's another review that addresses the differences right away. This is what I mean when I mention whitewashing, how XPCamper isn't mentioned the ExPo article at all.

Nimbl Vehicles

Freedom to Roam

I know we can't please everyone, but I do think it is a bit unfair to say we have mentioned nothing about the previous company. We have a couple of pages of information. See the links below:
We have also gone out of our way to make sure everybody knows the name Steve Kozloff - the expedition yacht designer who conceived the Nimbl Evolution (originally the XPCamper V1).

We are delighted to be able to sponsor a forum on expeditionportal.com - I have depended on it as a resource for many years, have great respect for the team, and am pleased to be affiliated with them. I can tell you that the team has a lot of journalistic integrity and advertising doesn't impact their editorial content, we had absolutely no role in what they wrote (other than making them aware of our brand launch). I can only imagine that they thought it was more relevant to talk about the current team at Nimbl, which does include the former XPCamper designer.

If you are ever in our neck of the woods I hope you will make the time to drop by so we can show you what we are up to!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles