XPCamper goes out of business, files for bankruptcy?

adam88

Explorer
March 2020 seems to be when the new owners kick off the relaunch. See https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/be-change-llc-to-relaunch-xpcamper-v1-in-march/

Sounds like they are approaching it right. Cut out all the extras and focus on one product (V1), one truck (F350 tremor) and one flatbed. Marc got himself into way too much custom stuff and I am sure even he would agree. Having customers bring their own trucks to him resulted in every flatbed being made differently and custom. By using one single platform they can lessen the cost of the flatbed. Using the tremor also saves them a ton of time because they dont need to add lift kits, wheels, tires, etc to the truck. You can even order a factory winch on the tremor. All of this will allow them to focus more time on improving the quality of the actual camper. The V1 is a great design. With some work it could be amazing.

Should be a fairly direct competitor to the Earthcruiser EXD.

I would love to see this whole package around the $150k mark, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see it approach $200k once all the goodies like lithium are added.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Trying to figure out why the XPCamper folks (old and new) don't just focus on doing the camper and not the full truck mods? Focus like a laser on the units, figure out a fair common form of fitment and let people bring their own flatbeds to the table? Just like every other truck camper manufacturer does. Of course there will be need for fitment and install assistance but it would simplify the whole thing. Are you a flatbed company or a camper company?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Trying to figure out why the XPCamper folks (old and new) don't just focus on doing the camper and not the full truck mods? Focus like a laser on the units, figure out a fair common form of fitment and let people bring their own flatbeds to the table? Just like every other truck camper manufacturer does. Of course there will be need for fitment and install assistance but it would simplify the whole thing. Are you a flatbed company or a camper company?

This does seem like it would streamline operations somewhat. Publish (or at least provide to customers upon deposit) a spec sheet that says "For Camper A, you need dimensions X by Y, with a maximum of Z from the deck to the roof of the truck cab" and let them source the tray wherever makes sense...

BigAl

Expedition Leader

My guess is that there is probably a only a small percentage of buyers with the skill and/or will to do fitment themselves. People love turn key.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
At 100k for the camper, it's kind of on the expensive side for most people no?

Not sure what happened (see previous 17 pages), sounds like bad management, an extremely common problem in small businesses. Alas, a fair price is what a buyer and a seller deem it to be and it seemed like people were more than willing to pay it. I think the pricing has a lot to do with scarcity. There is nobody doing a solid side pop up except this (well sort of almost hard side) and the long in the tooth caulk monster Alaskans. I think they are about 20-30% high compared to equivalent Bahn or Overland Explorer or the like, but what do I know? I know that fiberglass composite is hard and exacting but come on, I can buy a 28 foot C Dory trawler for that kind of money and live aboard it. One of the reasons I like to drool over campers in the Euro market. It's much more common to see "demountable" campers and truck bodies so they are actually very reasonably priced. Speaking of, why doesn't somebody take a real swing at a hard side pop up? I think there would be tremendous interest. Well from me at least!

I had to do a double take at the new $75k Lance truck campers !! Ack !!. Frankly our RV industry is a joke and a rip-off, so small producers fill that void with quality workmanship and price it like it's made of high grade cocaine. More power to them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles