XPCamper goes out of business, files for bankruptcy?

crazysccrmd

Observer
Marc actually had upwards of 24,000 sq ft in Grass Valley. The 17,000 in Colfax is the new business.

For those people that want a camper built by Marc, I have heard that he is going to be making campers in a new venture in the Phoenix, AZ area. I don't believe he set out to take a bunch of money from people, that's just the way it worked out. :(

That’s such a load of ********. The guy should be forced to sell everything he owns and be put in a manual labor camp until he earns enough money to payback his debts. There is no way he should be allowed to file for and be granted another business license after ************** a bunch of people out of money and walking away from it.

ZMagic97

Explorer
That’s such a load of ****. The guy should be forced to sell everything he owns and be put in a manual labor camp until he earns enough money to payback his debts. There is no way he should be allowed to file for and be granted another business license after ************** a bunch of people out of money and walking away from it.

Unfortunately, bankruptcy seems to have little to no consequences these days.

hermz

I'm left with my 2016 Ram 3500 crew cab super-single diesel with aisin HD trans and manual shift 4x4. It has an oversized xpcamper flatbed with storage boxes, spare and removable headache rack/pickup sides. Has the typicaly XPCamper package of ICON suspension lift, 35" tires on super single wheels x 5, 16k lb warn winch mated to a beast front bumper with fogs, spots and a light bar. Also has the ARB compressor and snorkle.

I drive it once a month, but without a camper it is not something I personally wanted to register in California so it only has 1600 miles on it. Most miles are from driving it to and from XP in Sacramento. If anyone is interested in this truck let me know, i'll let it go for a decent amount less then what I have into it. I know it would easily accept any flatbed camper, but being out the money I had set aside for such, I just need to cut my losses and move on. Hopefully my overland dream with be realized in the future. Figured ill start here since it is XP specific, but will eventually post in FS section.

Last edited:

tnt

Observer
That’s such a load of ****. The guy should be forced to sell everything he owns and be put in a manual labor camp until he earns enough money to payback his debts. There is no way he should be allowed to file for and be granted another business license after ************** a bunch of people out of money and walking away from it.
Selling everything he owns isn't really an option, he had it leveraged against the business. He lost his home and everything he owns. Yes, customers have lost a lot and been hurt by XP's failure. But it isn't like he walked away with their money. He lost more than any of them.

rruff

Explorer
But it isn't like he walked away with their money. He lost more than any of them.

Maybe his wife walked away with it? Something doesn't make sense. The company appeared to be very successful, yes? Good products, in business for 5+ years, lots of orders and deposits with a big backlog.

crazysccrmd

Observer
Selling everything he owns isn't really an option, he had it leveraged against the business. He lost his home and everything he owns. Yes, customers have lost a lot and been hurt by XP's failure. But it isn't like he walked away with their money. He lost more than any of them.

Sucks to be him, but he lost money that he essentially stole from customers at this point.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
... But it isn't like he walked away with their money. He lost more than any of them.

Actually, it's EXACTLY that he walked away with their money!

It's hardly that he was honest with his trusting victims whom he took money from in the full knowledge that they were never going to receive anything in return!

To say that he lost more than his victims is utterly contemptible!

Chris Boyd

Explorer
didn't a member here go through this with a jeep a few years ago? the jeep got taken apart and the promises went on forever and finally he got back a rolling chassis & box of parts while the builder boogied with the dough. I think the thread went on for 75 pages and finally got shut down.

start up businesses are great for the starter (sometimes), but the startees are taking a known risk. caveat emptor and all that.

Yes, that story is quite the read... and something beautiful came from the ashes. Cool to see what Paul Jensen did with it.

If you want the whole drama start at post 1. To skip to what came of it - skip 2/3rds the way through the 1750 posts. (Start around 1250)

EarthRoamer XV-JP "Northwest Edition"

Last edited:

eblau

Adventurer
Wow thats a great read about the XVJP, no idea any of that crap transpired since it was rebuilt by P.J.

s.e.charles

I remember reading it as the saga unfolded and thinking: how much stuff can be jammed into a jeep and still be reliable. left me rather flat.

hairy_apple

Adventurer
You don't "find" them, you entice them to move there or you hire locally and train. Or you locate your business to where the labor you need *can* be found.

In 2015 he had 20 employees and a 6,000 sqft facility in Grass Valley. Don't know how many employees, but he had a 17,000 sqft facility this year in Colfax. I good way to fail is to try to grow too fast. Too many new products. I've often seen owners who simply can't say no to a potential customer with money in their hand. They take all the deposits they can and worry about delivering later. Not cool.

A little late to the party, but I just found out today about this, and it made me sad, but didn't totally surprise me. I was offered a job there a few years ago, and had to decline... I am a welder and fabricator, and had some experience with composites as well. They offered me a job, for $12 an hour. I had 6 years of experience, with MIG, TIG, steel aluminum, etc. Everything they wanted, plus some... and they offered me $12 an hour. I suspect labor problems were a big issue. I was making twice that in Sacramento and would have taken a small cut in pay to be close to home and work on cool stuff, but not half. Geez, McDonalds in GV pays more.

rruff

Explorer
... and they offered me $12 an hour. I suspect labor problems were a big issue. I was making twice that in Sacramento and would have taken a small cut in pay to be close to home and work on cool stuff, but not half. Geez, McDonalds in GV pays more.

$25/hr for experienced workers is a bargain in CA even in the boonies. Still peasant wages really. I have no sympathy for employers who try to squeeze their employees that hard and then complain that they can't hire people.

My step-father-in-law makes $60/hr working on boats in Ft Lauderdale (repairs, remodel, etc), and he's always got work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles