XPCamper and GVWR

awisernig

I ordered an XPCamper V2 last summer and picked it up in May (after a 2+ month delay in production time). Overall, the camper has great the few nights I've used it so far but a few days ago on a road trip from San Francisco to Portland I decided to stop at a weight station to get an idea of the total weight and discovered something pretty shocking.

With no passengers (I was out of the truck), half a tank of diesel (9ish gallons) and 12ish gallons of water, my rig came in at 6850lbs with 4500lbs over the rear axle.

I was surprised to encounter this, considering the the sticker in the camper stated the weight as 1633lbs. While mine does have some optional features (an inverter, awning, and Yakima Roof rack), I find it hard to believe that this equipment, my clothes and camping plates would double the weight of the camper.(the curb weight of my '91 Pickup is around 3335lbs). Even if the stated 1633lb was the dry weight, the 27 gallons of water would only weight around 200lbs.

Anyway, numbers aside, I just want to make people aware that if they choose a Tacoma or similar vehicle for such a camper, they'll most likely exceed their GVWR before they even add water; even in the case of a new Tundra – unless they opt for a 4x2 regular cab.

Also, If anyone on this forum has a V2 and has weighed it, I'd very much appreciate if they shared their numbers – or at least how much their camper weighs. I'd also be curious to see what similar FWC setups on Tacomas/Tundras end up weighing.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
I ordered an XPCamper V2 last summer and picked it up in May (after a 2+ month delay in production time). Overall, the camper has great the few nights I've used it so far but a few days ago on a road trip from San Francisco to Portland I decided to stop at a weight station to get an idea of the total weight and discovered something pretty shocking.

With no passengers (I was out of the truck), half a tank of diesel (9ish gallons) and 12ish gallons of water, my rig came in at 6850lbs with 4500lbs over the rear axle.

I was surprised to encounter this, considering the the sticker in the camper stated the weight as 1633lbs. While mine does have some optional features (an inverter, awning, and Yakima Roof rack), I find it hard to believe that this equipment, my clothes and camping plates would double the weight of the camper.(the curb weight of my '91 Pickup is around 3335lbs). Even if the stated 1633lb was the dry weight, the 27 gallons of water would only weight around 200lbs.

Anyway, numbers aside, I just want to make people aware that if they choose a Tacoma or similar vehicle for such a camper, they'll most likely exceed their GVWR before they even add water; even in the case of a new Tundra – unless they opt for a 4x2 regular cab.

Also, If anyone on this forum has a V2 and has weighed it, I'd very much appreciate if they shared their numbers – or at least how much their camper weighs. I'd also be curious to see what similar FWC setups on Tacomas/Tundras end up weighing.
My Ram 2500 with FWC weighs in at around 11500. Depends how much fuel, water and supplies I have on board. Camper weighs 1650. My bed is steel.
60636ab5c90c5f657d8c3a514b9fd20f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ripperj

Explorer
11500? Is that correct? Not trying to stir up crap I don't care what your truck weighs, other than a data point for mine. That's 3000# over my 2500s payload. Of course it's the same truck as the 3500 except the springs which I suspect you upgraded. I guess I'm not going to sweat being a bit over :) I hit the scales next week
Keith
Thanks for posting,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

montypower

Adventure Time!
I'm guessing your pickup weighs much more than you think. Assuming you have flat bed, upgraded suspension, diesel motor swap, bumpers, winch, etc... all adds up. My Tundra just has slider/steps, 2" lift and with random stuff inside and gas it was 500lbs over stock curb weight. This is partly due to curb weight not including fuel / fluids.

Yes, all that small stuff adds up in the camper too. I wouldn't be surprised if the camper is slightly heavier too. Basically, everything being a bit heavier adds up. My 4 wheel camper loaded is about 2000lbs over stock curb weight. But then that's not all the camper. There's gear in the truck as well. 38 gallons fuel. 26 gallons water + 17 gallon water tank.

GoinBoardin

Observer

Maybe a 2x4 Ranger/Tacoma weighs ~3000lbs empty...not a full size of any variety (that I've ever heard of?). Which pickup do you have? Have you ever weighed it? Internet curb weight estimates are often as accurate as lifted diesel Dodge fuel economy numbers; just inaccurate in the other direction..

Last edited:

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
A stock DCSB Tacoma weighs 4,200 lbs. When I had the Fourwheel camper, swingout, and full tank of gas, the truck weighed in at 6,700 lbs. Skids, plate bumpers, sliders, winch, and basic camping gear. With only the steel flatbed and full tank (and all the armor), it was 5,100 lbs.

Your truck is much heavier than 3,335 lbs. That diesel can easily handle 6,850 lbs and then some though! Please post some pics.

You should pull the camper off and just weight your truck to be sure. I'd be very surprised it it was 3335 with your suspension upgrades, the ARB bumper and those meats. Are you running 35s?

I have an XPCamper V1 on a 2500 Ram and it's overweight but I've upgraded the suspension beyond what a 3500 would have. It doesn't change the door sticker though. I avoid scales, just like I do in my bathroom!

Nomads365

A Most Adventurous Couple
I avoid scales, just like I do in my bathroom!
Ha! Love it. I know our Ram 3500 with a DRW to SRW conversion and an XP V1 will be over the stickered 12,200 GVWR. The big question is how much over? Won't know for sure until it's sitting on the truck later this year, but I intend to weigh it right before it's mounted so it's accurate and documented.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Factory GVWR is less important than keeping within the axle GAWR (axle weight rating), proper suspension for weight, brakes and proper tires. Too little engine just makes you go slow. VW Westy owners have done that for years.

awisernig

@elcoyote thanks for sharing your weight. Looks like it could be my rig's older brother! @overlanerd, thanks I love the way it came out (with the exception of the weight).

@RoamingRobertsons, I would pull it off to weigh it but it's not very simple. Marc insisted to almost perma-mount it because on the old pickup, the gap between the top of the roof and the bottom of the cabover would be too great. That should have reduced some of the weight of the subframe. I think I may have gotten the curb weight when I didn't have a truck bed on the back (but the airbags/suspension upgrades were done). According to KBB my '91 Pickup with a V6 (which I've heard is about the same weight as the 2.4 diesel I have in it) weighs about 2940lbs so 3300lbs with the lift, ARB bumper/compressor, on 33s doesn't seem that out of line. Even if I peg the weight of the truck at 4k (1000lbs over the curb), that's still 3000lbs for the camper/aluminum bed.

The truck handles fine, though I don't go over 60mph due to the small diesel but what worries me is the 4500lbs over the rear axle which is way over its GAWR – it's within the tire range though.

I'm just a little upset that last year, before I started the build, I was told that the camper wet would be around 1600lbs. I also just don't see how this camper can ever be marketed as suitable for a Tacoma/Tundra when it's clearly overloaded. If I knew, I would have just got an old 7.3 F250 and used that. I wonder how much a Tundra with a V2 weighs. Looking at the specs of current one they have for sale, I can't imagine that being anywhere within its GVWR range. Any other V2 owners weigh their rigs?

Here's a few more pics of the rig:

Image%202017-06-10%20at%203.29.00%20PM.png

[e9429b1ab2bc39fe576bb2b52b5b52df]_Image%202017-06-10%20at%203.29.42%20PM.png

wirenut

Adventurer
It's the sad truth of truck campers. They are heavy, trucks are heavy, stuff is heavy. My 11' hardside truck camper has my dually over the GVWR by 1,600 pounds when fully loaded with the family on board. My camper doesn't even have a basement or slides like some of the huge ones do. I used to have a simple 8' pop-up on a Dodge 1500 and it was over the GVWR with no people in the cab. I know lots of people carry TCs around on compact trucks and 1500 trucks but I can't see going with anything less than a 2500 ever, for even a pop-up. My next truck will likely be a RAM 4500 or possibly a 5500.

DVexile

Adventurer
Any midsize with any camper will be over GVWR period - end of story. Shell, Flip-Pac or Habitat is the only hope for keeping it under. FWC or equivalent - even the stripped down "shell" version will put you overweight unless you bring no food, water, fuel and the truck drives itself with no passengers. Just a fact of life - these midsize trucks have a 1100 payload or so. Lightest campers are at over 700. Easy to do the math from there.

But there are plenty of Tacomas out there with FWCs, armor, winches, swing outs and so forth. They are way, way over GVWR of course but it all still works with upgraded suspensions and appropriate driving. As far as safety and handling goes they are far, far safer than any truck out there towing any sort of trailer.

Rig looks awesome BTW. But I understand the frustration- at some point a full size makes more sense - and not Tundra or F150.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Our camper is just 2200 lbs dry. Loaded and wet we run right about 10k. Which is well over the GVWR of this old truck.

expedition-camper-idacamper-overland-011.jpg

Thats 7k for truck, 3k for camper, gear, food, and water.

It does well, but its an old truck.

Im currently shopping for a much newer super duty. And will be going 450/550 if I can find the right cab/engine/trans combo.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My Ram 2500 with FWC weighs in at around 11500. Depends how much fuel, water and supplies I have on board. Camper weighs 1650. My bed is steel.
60636ab5c90c5f657d8c3a514b9fd20f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That's a heavy bed. Mine's at 8650# w/standard bed and an 1800# wet Northstar TC800. Your setup looks great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles