XJ sleeping dimensions

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
Not 100% on the TJ seats - as I thought that all the Wranglers had the flat floors - but I could be way wrong. Never spent much time in a TJ. The 97+ XJs have a rectangular brace that the front bracket sits on and the seat doesn't mount to the floor, but rather the face of the brace. I'm 6'6" and I've never once considered sleeping in mine!!

XJINTX

Explorer
I added Miata RX8 seats to my 4 door. Just fabricated new mounts. Now I have fold forward seats and with the new mount I can move the seat further back when driving so more leg room.

Brodie2, what is the material you have laid down... that looks exactly ike what I need. Easier to clean all the Dog hair up :)

brodiee2

It's actually just 1/2 plywood that I coated in monsta liner after I cut it to my dimensions. Can't recommend that monsta liner stuff enough used it for that and to coat the bottom half of the jeep. Easy stuff to work with and it drys to a nice hard water proof finish!

ThePartyWagon

I sleep in the back of my 2 door XJ all the time, more often than not with my girlfriend and 70lb dog. I take out the back seat, fold and slide the seats forward and fill the space with other camping gear/clothes. It's comfortable, it's warm and I have enough room to stretch out and close the tailgate at 5'11". I drilled a hole in the tailgate panel and tied a piece of paracord to the latch so I can open up the hatch without climbing out the front doors.

Call me lazy but I don't feel like setting up a tent most of the time. Just don't put your back seat under the Jeep, forget, and drive 3 hours home...

I have a 93 two door XJ, and a couple 76 Wagoneer's.
Last November my husband and I took the XJ on a FSJ trip to AZ. I took my rear bench seat out and built a wood support for the top of what was the rear seat.
It attached to the metal bulkhead that the rear seat used to sit on. Then I made three wood "L" shaped supports that fit around my console. We pushed the front seats all the way forward.
I have a piece of foam that fit in one of my Waggys, that I thought would fit in the back of my XJ? I had to cut a hole around the where the console is but it really still did not fit to well.
We are not 6FT tall, but I gotta tell you neither one of us slept very well in the back. It was only a couple nights, but still.
OH!
And we have a tiny dog, and when she wanted to sleep with us, it was uncomfortable.
The other thing about my XJ was if one of us needed to get up in the middle of the night, it was a struggle to get out of the back of the XJ. If it is just me and my puppy, it would be more than comfortable. But not for two, and a dog.

The Wagoneer is so much better for camping inside the truck duty.
We took the rear seat out of one of the Waggys as well.
Also having a four door is so much better if camping together.
All this being said, I think we will be looking at an Off Road Trailer his year?
That way we can have a base camp, and go out on trails without our bedroom. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior