XJ Expedition Basics

brockmub

Observer
I agree with evrything above.
I would not go anywhere w/ out a extra CPS. but I would also add
a idler pully. I have seen these just fail and your dead in the water.
Its less then 20 bucks and it is small. I even carry one in the Rubicon.

Ok... Crank Position Sensor is on the list. I'll pick one up and stash it under the back seat. I think these three are the last parts that I'll add to the trip.

1. Fuel Pump
2. Crank PS
3. Idler Pulley

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
At the above guy: hope your cat is ok after that situation. That kind of fouling will plug them up quick.

I'm hoping I was able to avoid damaging the cat, I only ran about 1.5 tanks of fuel through the engine before getting the O2 sensors changed.
If I start a thread on here about having to get a new cat then you'll know! lol

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Going to Mexico. If you are bringing a firearm for the rest of the trip check it and any ammunition or any other firearm related item (cleaning supplies, spent brass, magazines, targets, anything) at one of the stores that offers the service in either Ajo, Why or Lukeville. If the Federalies catch you with anything gun related they do not fool around and you'll most likely do some time in a Mexican jail. Really.

And plus the OP said this Mexico trip has half wedding anniversary and half mission trip. In a mission trip you are doing the work of god and trusting him if I'm correct (am atheist), so isn't that contradictory to think you will need a gun for your own protection?

ExpoMike

O2 sensors typically fall under the emissions related items, which I believe under Federal law must last for 75,000 miles (CA I think it's 100,000).

If you are changing O2 sensors sooner than 75,000 miles you are either throwing away money or you have another serious problem you need to fix. In my 25+ years of working on cars and owning 38 vehicles, I have yet to replace an O2 sensor. YMMV

That said, having 104,000 miles on our XJ, it might be something to think about doing but at the same time, the most recent smog check (Feb) showed that is is almost putting out cleaner air than what is coming in. LOL

Ok... Crank Position Sensor is on the list. I'll pick one up and stash it under the back seat. I think these three are the last parts that I'll add to the trip.

1. Fuel Pump
2. Crank PS
3. Idler Pulley

I still wouldn't get a OEM fuel pump, do the in line get you by method as dropping that fuel tank is going to bring the suck in the hills - I know someone posted that it is on the front of the tank but that is only true on older XJ's your 01 it is only accessible by dropping the fuel tank.

brockmub

Observer
And plus the OP said this Mexico trip has half wedding anniversary and half mission trip. In a mission trip you are doing the work of god and trusting him if I'm correct (am atheist), so isn't that contradictory to think you will need a gun for your own protection?

This forum cracks me up! Such a wide range of beliefs, opinions, and experiences and thats ultimately what most will find on their expeditions. I trust that God will take care of us and I also trust that God has given me enough intelligence to prepare for such a trip by joining an online forum.

Ha Ha!

mudbutt

Explorer
Just scheduled an appointment to have the fuel injectors cleaned ....

Find out how much that costs first....

I was having trouble with my F350 and they benched the injectors.... Cost twice as much as new ones if I did the work myself..

brockmub

Observer
Got the MotorVac done yesterday and spent the day driving around doing errands and testing it out. It really feels like it makes a difference on starting, but that might be just my wishful thinking or bias. There is a definite difference on the idle. I believe it's worth the money.

It used to be at stop lights, I could hear the motor rattling all the way back through the muffler. That sound and roughness is gone. It might be snake-oil but I can't deny that there is a difference on idling. As for gas mileage or HP increases, I can't say other than it "feels" like its better.

Flushed the brakes and that made a nice difference. Brakes are more solid and stopping distance has decreased... all from a little flush. Coolant is flushed and fresh too.

Had the guys at the shop checkout the steering pump and they noticed the little bit of shakiness I was experiencing but couldn't find an answer for it. If it gets worse, I'll consider replacing the pump, but that can be one for another day.

Departure in less than a MONTH!!! My wife is starting to figure things out about the road trip, we'll see if I can keep it a surprise long enough.

Last edited:

MTNTECH

O2 sensors typically fall under the emissions related items, which I believe under Federal law must last for 75,000 miles (CA I think it's 100,000).

If you are changing O2 sensors sooner than 75,000 miles you are either throwing away money or you have another serious problem you need to fix. In my 25+ years of working on cars and owning 38 vehicles, I have yet to replace an O2 sensor. YMMV

That said, having 104,000 miles on our XJ, it might be something to think about doing but at the same time, the most recent smog check (Feb) showed that is is almost putting out cleaner air than what is coming in. LOL

Absolutely agree, O2 sensor (OEM or higher quality) should last 75,000 mile or more. Besides that if 1 fails on the trail just disconnect the other 1 and it runs in a default mode enabling you to complete the trail. Then stop by the auto-parts store for a replacement after you get back home.

xr8dxj

Adventurer
looong response

Good thread and fun read. Last year I attempted (the operative word) my seemingly routine drive back to the east coast from Colorado. My pesky check engine light came on the morning I headed out. I didn’t think too much about it until about mid-Missouri when the Jeep sorta just turned off while clipping down the I-70. Miraculously, I coasted up the off-ramp and within spitting distance of the Missouri Jeep dealership. They were closing in 30 minutes so I quickly Googled some options on my iPhone. I presented the internet options / opinions to the Jeep folks & they told me to have the auto parts store order a CPS for starters. They said I could wrench on my Jeep in their parking lot all weekend long, but the beer light was on and they were closing shop.

The next morning the auto parts store tried to sell me the wrong CPS. Luckily I had pulled the CPS during my “free time” and could show them that it was obviously the wrong part. In the afternoon they got in the right part, but after installing it the Jeep would still crank & not fire. Since I had another day of “free time” on my hands I decided to remove the gas tank skid that I installed ten years prior, drop the ½-full tank, pull the fuel filter and stare at it. I won’t go into the myriad of improper and unsafe use of tools, straps & jacks to get it all off. I looked over the fuel filter, not really sure what I was looking for. Heck it took me 30 minutes to figure out how to get the dang filter out of the tank in the first place.

Three hours, busted knuckles and smoked forearms later the tank and skid plate were back in/on. That night I got cleaned up, found a local karaoke joint and got hammered. I was running out of options because I had to be in North Carolina on Monday, so my best option was to catch a ride back to Kansas City and fly the rest of the way. But before I left, I wrote a detailed letter to the dealership with a business manager of a business which was located nearby. Below are the pertinent parts of the letter:

… I was travelling eastbound on Interstate 70 when my Jeep Cherokee suddenly died. I thought the cruise control kicked off, so I applied more throttle, then the idiot lights came on, and all power stopped. I coasted off the Interstate onto the frontage road where some of your staff helped tow it to its present location. At first, I thought it got hot on just turned off for whatever reason. I let the Cherokee cool for an hour before and tried a few times to get it going.

Presently, the Cherokee will turn-over but not fire. If I bump the ignition a few times, it will sputter once or twice and die. Spraying starting fluid into the throttle body does not do any good either. That is when I was officially stumped; I figured it would at least fire a few times. Since the CPS I had ordered from O-Riley Auto Parts wouldn’t be here until 11am on May 31st, I figured I would at least go through some of the troubleshooting steps since I had plenty of time on my hands.

I performed the following troubleshooting/maintenance on the Cherokee on May 29th & 30st:
• Pulled the codes using the on-off technique with the ignition:

Codes:
12 Start
25 automatic idle / speed motor circuits
11 ignition reference signal
55 Finish

• Ensured the engine ground block was clean
• Checked all fuses & relays, just ‘cuz
• Replaced the Crank Position Sensor
• Ensured the fuel pump was turning on at ignition
• Double-checked the fuel pump relay
• Pulled the to-the-engine fuel line to make sure it was pumping fuel
• Checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail: 35psi (ruining an air pressure gauge)
• Pulled the fuel tank off, to ensure all of the connections and fuel lines were in good order (I was once told that there is a fuel line/hose inside the gas tank, which if broken, would cause the system to lose pressure or vacuum. I did not fish around in the fuel since my hands were dirty, but I did not observe a fuel line or hose inside the tank.)
• Pulled the distributor to look at it. Didn’t see significant burn anywhere.

I know my air cleaner is dirty, but I did not think that it would matter too much or kill the Cherokee while flying down the road. I also tried the clear flood procedure several times with zero success. I did not check the plugs or wires… did not really think they would be to blame right away. I know the radiator could use a good flushing, but did not think that it would kill the Cherokee either. Finally, I didn't order a new computer because I did not want to throw that big of a chunk of money at a problem that may not exist without having had a diagnostic test.

Please do not get rid of my Optima yellow top or Green air filter. The battery should not be too drained from the attempted turn-overs and the air cleaner just needs to be cleaned. I will be leaving all of my tools and some personal effects that I will not be able to take with me on the airplane. I do not know if it matters, but my Cherokee has current registration and insurance. Additionally, I am prepared to make payment over the phone with a credit card…

The dealership called me a week later and told me they got it running: plugs, cap, rotor, wires & injection cleaning. I wasn’t able to pick it up for another two weeks. But once I flew back I drove a rental car to the nearest town to Odessa and had the rental agency drive me to the dealership so I could pay for the services and get back on the road.

Everything was fine… for fifteen miles. However, when the Jeep broke down this time it broke down on a back road. I was taking the back roads to avoid interstate construction. This time fuel poured out from the top of the fuel tank. I won’t go into the details of the freaking weird Deliverance-esque experiences of that evening getting a tow truck, guarding my Jeep while armed, or random meth-lab discovery. The next morning the "tow service" that picked me up a few hours earlier fit me into their busy weekend schedule (yes, the dealer was closed) and with a literally a couple extra hose clamps managed to control the somehow over-pressurized fuel system (******?) and got me headed back west. 14 hrs later I made it all the way back to Colorado. Of course I had a huge knot in my stomach then entire way back thinking I was gonna get stranded in the middle nowhere again. This could easily be a B-movie mellow-horror (is that a genre?).

I got back, pulled the codes again and it directed me to change the O2 sensor. I must have changed the wrong one because the light is still on, the Jeeps smells burnt after I start it, and my gas mileage still sucks.

Soooo… since I’m here in Africa for a few more weeks I’ll plan on changing the other O2 sensor, possibly getting a new cat when I get back. I think I’ll take a look at the fuel system too, because the fuel pressure thing has me really confused.

Sorry to ramble on and on, but it actually feels quite therapeutic! :wings:

brockmub

Observer
Glad that this was a good therapy session for you. Please don't take any offense to this, when you look at all of the "creative" things that you've done to your rig, it's no-wonder that you have some weird gremlins showing up. I'm a firm believer in KISS, especially when it comes to a vehicle that I rely on everyday and for long trips.

That's another reason why I have my old Blazer. A monkey with a shop manual could work on it and the most technical part on it may be a tie between the carb and the broken 8-track deck.

Again, please don't get me wrong, with out people who tweak and change every last bolt on their vehicles, we'd know very little about our machines and what they are capable of. But for me, I'm not interested in stroking the motor, running different fuel maps, or mount a set of 38s when I'm not willing to spend the time to fix the bugs that will turn up in a vacant parking lot. I would rather spend that time exploring, that's why I started this post.

For our next therapy session, I want you to tell me about your relationship with your mother. :ylsmoke:

brockmub

Observer
Shake down run

Our departure is less than a week away, so my wife and I decided on a shake down run. Just wanted to make sure that all of the gadgets were working correctly and packing so we drove from Sioux Falls to the burbs of Chicago to see family. We turned on the Droid MyTracks and recorded the short section from LaCrosse to Madison.

La%20Crosse%20to%20Madison.jpg

Took a few pics on the way of the crazy amounts of windmills.

Windmills.JPG

We also loved coming from Minnesota and literally dropping into the Mississippi valley.

DowntheMississippi.JPG

Then visited some friends that lived in La Crescent on the ridge with a beautiful view of the river.

ViewfromtheTop.JPG

But of course the real reason for the trip. Our daughter, Alexa, with our new nephew, Simon.

AlexaSimon.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles