XJ Expedition Basics

shogun

Adventurer
I agree with the responses posted above, but not sure I agree with carrying a spare feul pump. '97-01 cherokees have the pump in the tank and it is fairly expensive ($2-300) and is also delicate so you'd have to keep it in the box which is good sized (from memory - 8"x8"x15").

While I agree spare parts are good, a feul pump on these models is not an easy roadside fix. Drop the tank, hope the pump went out when it was near empty. Mine had 3/4 of a tank and it nearly killed me to get it down. To me, this is when you actually use AAA or some other roadside assistance to get you off the road and back to a place where you can do the work, or have someone do it. Through my insurance company I pay about $8 a year for roadside assistance.

A better bet if you are really paranoid about a fuel pump going bad is some rubber hose, hose clamps, small electric fuel pump and some wire.

'97-01 fuel pumps do go bad, but is usually the diaphram that maintains pressure in the line. This causes hard starts, but the pump is usually fine. They start giving these symptons for a long time before it becomes an all or nothing issue. Temporary fix is to cycle the key on and off for 2-3 times, this will put pressure in the line and allow a faster start. Then you can repair it at your liesure when you get home.

Another item that is an XJ specific problem in the Nuetral Saftey Switch acting up and not allowing the Jeep to start. There are some instructions on NAXJA on how to bypass it (print and put in glovebox). Simply crossing a couple wires right by the back of the valve cover. Not the safest thing, since it will allow you to start in any gear, but all you'd need is some electrical tape and wire cutter. It'll get you home in a pinch.

You may also want to throw a couple of extra relays in your glove box. The rectangular fuse box under the hood has a couple relays that are known to go bad on occasion. I know one is for the starter (most important), and there are a couple more. They may be the same relay for all, and they are like $10-13.

I've got 233K on my '98 XJ and I've drive it anywhere. Only major things I've needed to do was Fuel pump and NSS. Basic maintenance and you should be fine. Other items have just been inconvenience items like A/C, power windows, etc.

Sounds like a good time. Have fun.

Troy

I cannot speak to the later model pumps, my pump is smaller than a coke can (about the size of a fist) and cost $105. While I havent done it, I think it can be changed in-situ due the the tank mount plate being on an angle, which should allow you to reach up and remove the sender/pump unit. Agreed, you dont want to drop a full tank on the trail/street. I've since upgraded my tank and installed an access plate in the rear floor, about a 30 min job now. Yes, I suppose you could kluge a secondary pump. Yes, they do give warning, at least mine did, if you recognize what it is. But it may be a couple years or a couple days out. Not everyone is going to replace the pump the first time the engine hiccups.

NSS is a thought, I 've never had the problem but a good backup plan.

My general consideration isnt completely "what can I do on the side of the road", but also "what can this garage in the middle of nowhere fix on a sunday afternoon". I'd rather have a few parts to hand the guy rather than wait for the UPS/DHL truck. Its easy to go overboard, but a few inexpensive (<$100), vehicle specific parts can easily be carried.

troy

Adventurer
Troy Thanks!

You made me feel a lot better and worse at the same time:Wow1:

Maybe as our first long expo we shouldn't get too crazy and as a result we shouldn't need too many parts. This forum has been awesome so far... keep it coming!

The point of my post was that you are traveling the bulk of the trip in the U.S. and just dipping into Mexico, your Jeep is well maintained and you're plannig for basic repairs. Parts for these trucks are cheap and easy to locate on your planned trip.

My first expo related trip was 10K of driving through the western U.S. I had an '88 wrangler and just my college girlfriend with. It blew a head gasket in Rawlings, WY. The dealer knew I was in a pickle and wanted $2,500 to do it immediately. I parked the jeep and rented cheap car (40 mpgs) and continued the trip. Once I was back in Rawlings, I thought of renting a U-haul with a tow dolly, but ended up limping the truck back while my Dad headed my direction with a car trailer.

The net cost of the trip was about the same (40 mpg vs. 15 mpg) and we had a blast. You really can expo travel in anything. I had the Geo metro on 3 wheels in several occasions in Moab.

BTW - I repaired the head gasket myself and drove it for another six months until I let the girlfriend borrow it. She overheated it and kept driving until it stopped. Installed new engine and got rid of the girlfriend shortly thereafter.

Traveling across Africa or a remote location is one thing. Put some cash in your pocket, fill up the tank and worry more about opportunities to drink the wine you're bringing.

brockmub

Observer
My general consideration isnt completely "what can I do on the side of the road", but also "what can this garage in the middle of nowhere fix on a sunday afternoon". I'd rather have a few parts to hand the guy rather than wait for the UPS/DHL truck. Its easy to go overboard, but a few inexpensive (<$100), vehicle specific parts can easily be carried.

That is a great approach for someone like me to have. Especially if I plan on keeping my Cherokee for while, some thing like the fuel pump will probably go out. If I have it sitting in the garage after the trip, I can take care of it when I have the time or need. Got stranded in Iowa on a Sunday afternoon when my Dodge Daytona broke down. Thank goodness Chrysler put those crappy 2.2 motors in everything because the shop salvaged parts from a minivan behind the garage.

Traveling across Africa or a remote location is one thing. Put some cash in your pocket, fill up the tank and worry more about opportunities to drink the wine you're bringing.

Now we are getting into the spirit of things here. I've been craving fish tacos and margaritas for about a month now.:sombrero: I liked your story Troy. My brother and I went on some trails around Pikes Peak last year. We were about 6 miles in on one semi-rough trail and were met by a Honda Insight! I'm not kidding, the guy just waved, and continued on. You can expo in anything.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I had the NSS go on my '98, it was a PITA because it would start sometimes, and not start other times.
Most of my broken parts are from abuse, driving through silty/muddy water 100's of times etc.

The NSS is pretty small, and usually easy to change out. Mine was frozen in place due to SEVERE rust, so I had to have a shop change it for me. Everyone else on NAXJA seems to have been able to change it themselves.
That might be a part you buy, seal up in a couple of zip lock bags and just keep around for a while until your original fails. But that might not be for another 100,000 miles...

I've had 3 alternators go, and front wheel bearings (twice now) as well, steering pump, still on original fuel pump though!

Again, most of replacement parts were damaged from abuse due to offroading through very wet and muddy conditions. If your XJ hasn't seen a lot of trail abuse, you will likely not have to change out any of these for quite a while.

Other than that, I hope you have a great trip!

brockmub

Observer
At 103K, my Cherokee isn't a spring chicken anymore but it's also been really well maintained. Even though a lot of vehicles have problems start showing up at that point, we probably will be safe. I'll try and compile some of the parts that everyone has suggested and stash them in the under-seat compartment in the back. Which is where my rain poncho and extra-extra set of gloves are and I had forgotten about. Should be able to stash the serp belt and fuel pump under there along with maybe some relays or sensors.

Another question... how often do you guys replace your 02 sensors on your 4.0? A jpmagazine.com article suggested every 3-4 oil changes:Mechanic: Can't say that I've ever replaced one on any car that I've owned.

Last edited:

troy

Adventurer
I was of the understanding that a bad O2 sensor will trigger a check engine light. Maybe there is a range they operate in and as they get older, they make the engine run less efficient? If your MPGs are trending the same, I'd leave it alone. They are $50-80 each, so fuel savings would have to be somewhat significant to warrant the cost.

This is also not a "leave you stranded" item. It may be more realistic to replace them at mileage intervals, ex. 30K or 50K. If you change oil every 3K, at the 3rd oil change that is only 9K miles. Sometimes I don't even rotate my tires that frequently. I personally will run them until a check engine light or bad MPGs.

Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

brockmub

Observer
That's what I thought too, because I had to read it three times.

Just scheduled an appointment to have the fuel injectors cleaned and power steering checked out. Any opinions on having the fuel system cleaned with the MotorVac?

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Another question... how often do you guys replace your 02 sensors on your 4.0? A jpmagazine.com article suggested every 3-4 oil changes:Mechanic: Can't say that I've ever replaced one on any car that I've owned.

That's plain nuts...
If I started changing O2 sensors every 4 oil changes AFTER I had hit 100,000 km (I'm at 200,000 km now) I would have had to replace the sensors 5 times now. (Oil change every 5000 km.)
Up here (Canada) they cost about 100 bucks each, there are 2 of them on the Cherokee. $200.00 + labour (2 hours probably) X 5 changes, that's $1000.00 in parts alone, probably double that including labour if you have a shop do it.
They aren't that hard though, you could change them yourself.
But I don't see any need to do that.

Ironically my XJ is in the shop right now getting both sensors changed. But, I work for a chain of tire/mechanical stores so I get parts at cost and 50% off the labour rate. (So getting the shop to change them for me is about the same cost as anyone else buying the parts at full retail and doing the work themselves.)
This is the first time I've had to change the sensors since I've owned the Jeep, and I could easily tell that it was running rich by the exhaust smell. But, I don't have a scan tool and that's why it went to the shop and let them hook up the scanner.
On a Cherokee I think changing the O2 sensors every 30,000 - 40,000 miles would be prudent, and at that point they probabaly wouldn't "need" to be changed.
If you're hard core into preventative maintenance, then that schedule would make more sense than EVERY 3-4 oil changes...

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I posted my response without reading everyone else's.
That JP suggestion really freaked me out! lol

I agree that the O2 sensor will trigger the check engine light and give you poor gas mileage because that's exactly what it did to me, along with the unburnt/rich fuel smell.
Before I put my larger lift and 33x12.5 tires on, I had 31's and was getting about 500 km to a tank.
After the lift I was getting MAYBE half that. I never went to E though because I was worried about getting stranded on my drive home! :Wow1:

I knew that the lift wouldn't make that much difference in fuel usage, and of course the smell gave it away also. I think that the check engine light was on before I did the lift, but that was a couple years ago when I parked it, so I can't remember for sure...

The other big thing with mine was that at 4000-5000 RPM it would blow black smoke from the tailpipe like a diesel accelerating hard, yes it was literally a huge black cloud.
So, there's 4 key indicators that can tell you your O2 sensors are gone, and you'll still be able to drive the Jeep, you'll just use a lot more fuel. ;)

I'm wondering if any of my spark plugs are fouled now???
I guess I'll see how it runs after the sensors are changed...

TOTJ

Adventurer
I agree with evrything above.
I would not go anywhere w/ out a extra CPS. but I would also add
a idler pully. I have seen these just fail and your dead in the water.
Its less then 20 bucks and it is small. I even carry one in the Rubicon.

sjk99

Adventurer
Going to Mexico. If you are bringing a firearm for the rest of the trip check it and any ammunition or any other firearm related item (cleaning supplies, spent brass, magazines, targets, anything) at one of the stores that offers the service in either Ajo, Why or Lukeville. If the Federalies catch you with anything gun related they do not fool around and you'll most likely do some time in a Mexican jail. Really.

brockmub

Observer
Going to Mexico. If you are bringing a firearm for the rest of the trip check it and any ammunition or any other firearm related item (cleaning supplies, spent brass, magazines, targets, anything) at one of the stores that offers the service in either Ajo, Why or Lukeville. If the Federalies catch you with anything gun related they do not fool around and you'll most likely do some time in a Mexican jail. Really.

I will probably leave my gun at home. Thanks for the tip though... that's something that people will often overlook in their preparation. We're going to be on this trip to see the wildlife, not hunt and kill it. :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles