XJ engine oil cooler install

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
Im trying to shed some BTUs from my wifes XJ. everything in the cooling system has been replaced multiple times over the years, and when climbing or working the rig hard, she always runs warm. i have a 3 row radiator, a large aftermarket trans cooler behind the grill, and turned the factory trans cooler into a power steering cooler.

i searched a lot and couldn't find much on adding an engine oil cooler, so i wanted to share my angle on it.
when in doubt, i figured i should run large lines.

i did not use a thermal bypass, because i live in a warm climate, and as habit, i always let the rig idle for a few minutes before driving.

hardware used:

Derale 11x13" stacked plate style cooler with fan, -10AN in/output. $220 from summit racing

Moroso engine oil filter adapter with -10 in/out $70@summit

8' of Aeroquip "socketless" push lock hose $70@local shop

2 -10AN straight hose ends for the filter end
1 45* hose end and 1 90* end
2 -10 flare to -10 o-ring fitting for the moroso adapter
$98 on fittings total

right now i have a ghetto "warm air" intake until i replace it with something that ties into the cowl.

i used the factory airbox as a mount to hold the cooler and i sealed it all off to draw air only through the original inlet.

i need to cut a larger hole in the hood to make the most of the fan.
i have the fan on a simple relay and switch for now.
i took it out on its first run last weekend, it was 85-95* all day, we ran 65MPH up the "Grapevine" (long steep grade on the 5 freeway) and it did warm up, but never overheated like in the past. also climbed up Alamo mountain (approx 8500') in the heat with no over heating issues. the other XJ i was rolling with was boiling over/stopping all day, like i used to :) so the cooler made a significant improvement.

i plan to put in an oil temp gauge when my funds replenish, as well as fix my air filter

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 61
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 64
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 65
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 61

vonguido

Adventurer
very cool. I like the idea, hopefully I will never need anything like this. I just changed out my cooling system minus the heater core and its sitting around 200* instead of 210 or a little above. Did you look at using a 180* thermostat? not sure if that would help a lot but it seems like it might help. Or even a 3 row fan setup like flex-a-lite or dirtbound offroad?

xjman88

Adventurer
I am running a 180* t-stat in my zj and she runs about 180-190 with the trailer in tow. When i had my xj i ran the same type t-stat and put hood spacers on the rear of the hood. Made a big difference.

GenPatTuck

Wow, that's pretty cool. I did something similar to my vw bug sand rail back in the day complete with multi-row cooler and fan, but it was air cooled and only 4 cylinders. It worked out great and kept the oil temp below 200*. What did you do for an oil filter, got any pics? I am sure you used one but did you buy a different mount for it?
Can you show pics of the power steering cooling thru the radiator? Do you have a thread for it?

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
Over on one of the XJ sites, there is a guy who modifies the AW4 valve body. Supposedly it helps reduce engine temps due to reprogramming the hydraulics of the tranny.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Very cool. Seems like a great idea even if one is not having overheating issues. One question, with the engine designed for the 195 tstat, does going to a 180 tstat interfere with any other functions?

John

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
The filter is still in the stock location. The Moroso adapter just squeezes in between the filter and the stock mount. I don't have any pics of the power steering cooler right now. I used the factory small trans cooler, and flipped it upside down, so it's behind the bumper, with 4 2" holes in the bumper. It does not run through the rad. The trans fluid runs through the rad and a 8x11 cooler mounted in front of the radiator. I have not run a 180 t-stat. Not trying to pick a fight, but the advice I chose to listen to said that the motor is designed to run at 195 and making it run 15* cooler, 100% of the time is hard on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
vy8a4ezy.jpg
uvabybyv.jpg

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
4utaqene.jpg

Trans cooler. Tucked all the way to the side. There is a rubber mat from the factory, keeping air from going around the radiator. I used that space, to minimize blocking the rad.

GenPatTuck

So have you noticed any changes in oil temp or how its running with cooler oil in it? Maybe even better mpg's if that is possible. I will have to remember this nice trick you did to make your engine run more efficient.

yetixj97

Do you have pics of your intake? The way it looks is like a cowl intake? If so what all did you use to do it?

Do you have pics of your intake? The way it looks is like a cowl intake? If so what all did you use to do it?

Agreed - the intake looks great. I would be interested in knowing how this is helping your XJ run. Have you noticed anything since you did this?

JeepTalkShow

Im trying to shed some BTUs from my wifes XJ. everything in the cooling system has been replaced multiple times over the years, and when climbing or working the rig hard, she always runs warm. i have a 3 row radiator, a large aftermarket trans cooler behind the grill, and turned the factory trans cooler into a power steering cooler.

i searched a lot and couldn't find much on adding an engine oil cooler, so i wanted to share my angle on it.

i did not use a thermal bypass, because i live in a warm climate, and as habit, i always let the rig idle for a few minutes before driving.

hardware used:

Derale 11x13" stacked plate style cooler with fan, -10AN in/output. $220 from summit racing

$98 on fittings total

right now i have a ghetto "warm air" intake until i replace it with something that ties into the cowl.

i used the factory airbox as a mount to hold the cooler and i sealed it all off to draw air only through the original inlet.

i took it out on its first run last weekend, it was 85-95* all day, we ran 65MPH up the "Grapevine" (long steep grade on the 5 freeway) and it did warm up, but never overheated like in the past. also climbed up Alamo mountain (approx 8500') in the heat with no over heating issues. the other XJ i was rolling with was boiling over/stopping all day, like i used to :) so the cooler made a significant improvement.

i plan to put in an oil temp gauge when my funds replenish, as well as fix my air filter

I've been having issues with my 1998 Jeep Cherokee running hot on the highway for years. How did you determine the size of the cooler to use? That's the only part I don't have yet, and finding the most difficult to select. I would just get a huge one, but I have size considerations as to where I can install it. I would describe my issue as "heat creep" Coolant temp slowly increases until it overheats. Best balance I could find was 2k rpm which with my gearing meant 55 mph.

bloodyWEST

Adventurer

hardware used:

$98 on fittings total

I've been having issues with my 1998 Jeep Cherokee running hot on the highway for years. How did you determine the size of the cooler to use? That's the only part I don't have yet, and finding the most difficult to select. I would just get a huge one, but I have size considerations as to where I can install it. I would describe my issue as "heat creep" Coolant temp slowly increases until it overheats. Best balance I could find was 2k rpm which with my gearing meant 55 mph.

Not sure what to tell you, except I pulled the cooler off about 3 years ago. I put 35’s on the Jeep and re geared to 5.13s and the over heating issue seems to be gone(mostly).

I had a similar issue on another Jeep. A 1999 wj 4.0. It turned out to be a cracked head. No oil in coolant or coolant in oil, but as RPMs and heat increased it would over pressurize the cooling system and push the coolant out of the puke tank. Replaced the head and that Jeep runs great.

I still suspect the 1998 XJ may have a crack in the head and be doing the same thing.

JeepTalkShow

Not sure what to tell you, except I pulled the cooler off about 3 years ago. I put 35’s on the Jeep and re geared to 5.13s and the over heating issue seems to be gone(mostly).

I had a similar issue on another Jeep. A 1999 wj 4.0. It turned out to be a cracked head. No oil in coolant or coolant in oil, but as RPMs and heat increased it would over pressurize the cooling system and push the coolant out of the puke tank. Replaced the head and that Jeep runs great.

I still suspect the 1998 XJ may have a crack in the head and be doing the same thing.

Was there a reason you took the oil cooler off? I would think it would be a good thing even if you weren't having a cooling system issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles