XJ engine oil cooler install

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
There was a leak. I was having trouble figuring out if it was one of the lines or the cooler itself. And it hadn’t solved the over heat issue, so I just pulled it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeepTalkShow

There was a leak. I was having trouble figuring out if it was one of the lines or the cooler itself. And it hadn’t solved the over heat issue, so I just pulled it.

Oh no! When I was doing a search for oil coolers on XJ's I found your post and had hope when in your post you had said you didn't run hot when another XJ was.

bloodyWEST

Adventurer

Oh no! When I was doing a search for oil coolers on XJ's I found your post and had hope when in your post you had said you didn't run hot when another XJ was.

Dang, my memory is bad. I just read back through the whole post. I don’t have any concrete evidence either way. My wife doesn’t let me drive it much these days. In hindsight, I feel there must be something major wrong to over heat as bad as it was. I still think there is a head gasket issue, as it uses coolant. Gearing down helped a ton. It shouldn’t need an oil cooler. I know my 5.13 gears are very low, even for 35” tires. It’s fine because it mostly gets driven around town these days, but that does take a huge amount of stress off everything. Sorry I can’t be more help.

JeepTalkShow

Dang, my memory is bad. I just read back through the whole post. I don’t have any concrete evidence either way. My wife doesn’t let me drive it much these days. In hindsight, I feel there must be something major wrong to over heat as bad as it was. I still think there is a head gasket issue, as it uses coolant. Gearing down helped a ton. It shouldn’t need an oil cooler. I know my 5.13 gears are very low, even for 35” tires. It’s fine because it mostly gets driven around town these days, but that does take a huge amount of stress off everything. Sorry I can’t be more help.

Well it very well may be the case with her Jeep, but if it gives you some hope, mine has done this highway heat creep ever since I lifted it. Around town or even on a very hot day on the trail it's fine, but on the highway, nope. It takes about 30 miles of traveling at highway speeds it to get too hot. No head issue with mine. I had considered an air dam but it would have to be a long air dam to get it close to where it was above the ground on the factory setup.

I'm going to move ahead with the oil cooler as I have everything I need but the cooler itself. I just need to measure and see what size I have room for. Thanks for getting back to me. If you're curious about how it works out for me, give our show a listen. I'm sure I'll be talking about it as I move forward. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier