XJ ARB Bull Bar

A while ago I stumbled upon a build thread on a forum (can't remember which one) that said the 84-96 XJ ARB bull bar is the same as the 97-01 except for the side "wings" whch are a little shorter. Obviously if you plan on cutting your stock front fenders fore more tire clearance, it would be benificial just to buy the older style, rather than having to cut a couple inches off your brand new ARB.

Does anyone have any pics or know of this thread? I have an 89 XJ with the respective bull bar to fit, but when I buy my new XJ, I am thinking about cleaning up my old one and slapping it on the "new" (00-01) Jeep.

-Brian

Momrocks

Adventurer
I'm sure if you posed this question on NAXJA or the Jeepforum you can probably get the info and photos you are looking for.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I don't have any pictures, but I can tell you that they are indeed interchangeable, and your logic is correct. If you want to put oversize tires on a 97-01 XJ, you are better off with the 87-96 ARB bull-bar.

I used to work for a dealer, and this was pretty common practice.

IllianaXJ

Adventurer
Yep, it will bolt right up. I put a 84-95 bumper on my 01, no problems. I could have trimmed my fenders more, but that's where they were before the bumper.

HPIM0967.jpg

MBPXJ

Observer
not to high jack your thread but i just finished installed a ARB bumper on my 99 xj this afternoon and i was trying to figure out if the lights on the bumper where supposed to be able to plug into an existing receptor or is each situation so different they just throw whatever plug they have a available on there. i bought it on craigslist for $300 and the guy never used the lights.

not to high jack your thread but i just finished installed a ARB bumper on my 99 xj this afternoon and i was trying to figure out if the lights on the bumper where supposed to be able to plug into an existing receptor or is each situation so different they just throw whatever plug they have a available on there. i bought it on craigslist for $300 and the guy never used the lights.

I wasn't the one who installed the bull bar, but I am pretty sure it just gets spliced into the existing turn signal wiring.

I actually tried NAXJA a while back as I am a member, but couldn't find the thread. Thanks for the info though guys!

MBPXJ

Observer
I wasn't the one who installed the bull bar, but I am pretty sure it just gets spliced into the existing turn signal wiring.

I actually tried NAXJA a while back as I am a member, but couldn't find the thread. Thanks for the info though guys!

Thanks I was just curious...hopefully I will be working on the lights this afternoon.

IrishMick

How does it bolt up

Yep, it will bolt right up. I put a 84-95 bumper on my 01, no problems. I could have trimmed my fenders more, but that's where they were before the bumper.

Apologies for replying on the ghost thread many years old.

How did you get it to fit, I have the same bumper and it wont line up at all.

Chassis rails are 83cm width and the rails on the bumper are 65cm across...no amount of math makes that fit??

cdn_xj

Observer
Did you acquire the bullbar new? or used? And which version did you get? the older or the newer?

I have the older version and there are 2 brackets that bolt to the chassis of the XJ and the bullbar, in turn, bolts to the two brackets.

I vaguely recall having read somewhere that there might be some detail changes between the older and newer versions that change the way the bullbar mounts to the chassis. Possibly the brackets were integrated into the structure of the newer bullbar. Nevertheless, both bullbars should still be compatible with both pre- and post-facelift XJs.

I suspect that you may have acquired a used, earlier bullbar and did not get the mounts with it.

Or, the bullbar that you acquired is not actually for an XJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94