Xcmountain80's 2002 4Runner build

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
No rear bumper yet, I'm thinking hard on a 4x4Labs Unit as they are just awesome for lack of a better word. As for the valve covers yeah they look a bit interesting and I didn't recognize the motor when I saw it..... I thought perhaps he was building another motor for a ricer or something. But a little bling under the hood won't hurt my street cred.

A

MillerPKA

Observer
Yeah thats crazy! If the compression test goes well I'm getting mine rebuilt in the next couple weeks along with tranny and thirds. I was thinking of powder coating some parts but we'll see if I have the chance.

Do you still have your lx wheels? I just sold mine for the fj's but I'm missing them

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Thank you for the compliments gentlemen, yes I still have the LX wheel (will never sell) and picked up a set of 80 wheels for a potential OffRoad set.

A

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Looks like another set of 295 Nitto's will go on tomorrow. This will be the 4Runner's 2nd set and my 7th set purchased over all. I shopped and shopped and really didn't find anything mild that I like better for price and longevity. If my math is correct I will have gotten 2 years and 55k+ miles out of these, with wear bars left so more miles are possible but I think it is time for new tires, as the old one will retire to my trailer.

A

CYi5

Explorer
You need that 1" BL to clear the 295 on LCs? I want to run nittos again, most likely 285...but thought i'd ask about running 295 on my setup.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Yes and no I think, It's been so long since I trimmed and flattened the pinch weld that I don't remember. The first tires that went on my truck after it was lifted in late 05 early 06 were 285 SSR's which are 33.9" dia. and yes they rubbed. I installed the BL to keep the offroad rubbing to a minimum with the 295's, but I would think if just streeted they would not rub. You will also need a wheel spacer if not running a 16x8 4.5 BS, 285's should clear though still rub offroad. I was thinking about dropping down to a 285 again but wasn't sure of the results with the 4.88's or can I find a heck of allot of info of 285's and 4.88's.

A

Vermejo

Adventurer
Great work; I would have never guessed you rig had that many miles. Not that it matters now--but Jon (111db) is running 4:88 gears with 285 rubber. I'm looking forward to you thoughts on the new engine.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I hope the new engine will be lovely, but that is just a hope until she is actually in. I presume it will be more lively but my current one doesn't lag so we will see, I mean what do you expect for 186HP!

A

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Been a while added new tires and wheels 285/70/17 Fierce Attitude MT's manufactured by GoodYear IIRC. the tires are a 33x11.5 so little shorter and narrower than the 295 Nitto TG's I was running. Price was right for both wheels and tires, and from what I read the mileage is decent for a MT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles