****** is "West Kootenays? "

billiebob

Seriously, the Kootenays are the valleys the Columbia River flows thru. BC, WA, ID, bordering on OR. One of the worlds biggest Hydro projects. One of the longest rivers in the world.

Gods Country.

koot-coveragemap.jpg

The fascinating thing is from Canal Flats the Columbia flows north and south before joining at Castlegar and flowing to the Pacific at Astoria and the Columbia Reach.

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I know the west Kootenays quite well.

w3BTj6O.jpg

I got a lttle place there....?

Willard27

You get to spell it a few ways if you want to be fancy...

The Kutenai (/ˈkuːtəneɪ, -i/), also known as the Ktunaxa (/tʌnˈɑːhɑː/ tun-AH-hah;[4] Kutenai: [ktunʌ́χɑ̝]), Ksanka (k-SAHN-kah), Kootenay (in Canada) and Kootenai (in the United States), are an indigenous people of Canada and the United States. Kutenai bands live in southeastern British Columbia, northern Idaho, and western Montana. The Kutenai language is a language isolate, unrelated to the languages of neighboring peoples.
Four bands form the Ktunaxa Nation in British Columbia. The Ktunaxa Nation were historically closely associated with the Shuswap Indian Band through tribal association and intermarriage. Two federally recognized tribes represent Kutenai people in the U.S.: the Kootenai Tribe of Idaho and the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes in Montana, a confederation also including Bitterroot Salish and Pend d'Oreilles bands.

greg.potter

Adventurer
Seriously, the Kootenays are the valleys the Columbia River flows thru. BC, WA, ID, bordering on OR. One of the worlds biggest Hydro projects. One of the longest rivers in the world.

Gods Country.

View attachment 578584

The fascinating thing is from Canal Flats the Columbia flows north and south before joining at Castlegar and flowing to the Pacific at Astoria and the Columbia Reach.

Might have something to do with the Kootenay river ......

Kootenay_river_map.png

billiebob

You get to spell it a few ways if you want to be fancy...

The Kutenai (/ˈkuːtəneɪ, -i/), also known as the Ktunaxa (/tʌnˈɑːhɑː/ tun-AH-hah;[4] Kutenai: [ktunʌ́χɑ̝]), Ksanka (k-SAHN-kah), Kootenay (in Canada) and Kootenai (in the United States), are an indigenous people of Canada and the United States. Kutenai bands live in southeastern British Columbia, northern Idaho, and western Montana. The Kutenai language is a language isolate, unrelated to the languages of neighboring peoples.
Four bands form the Ktunaxa Nation in British Columbia. The Ktunaxa Nation were historically closely associated with the Shuswap Indian Band through tribal association and intermarriage. Two federally recognized tribes represent Kutenai people in the U.S.: the Kootenai Tribe of Idaho and the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes in Montana, a confederation also including Bitterroot Salish and Pend d'Oreilles bands.
You are missing the Arrow Lakes Band, the Sinixt. Who the Government tried to claim extinct but after 4 court battles now have recognition in Canada.

You might enjoy this book.

Swit-River.jpg

Correction, the 4th court battle to the Supreme Court has yet to be heard and delayed due to COVID-19.

See page 3 for the story in the West Kootenays Valley Voice.

Last edited:

billiebob

People be damned... dammed.... damned

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
You are missing the Arrow Lakes Band, the Sinixt. Who the Government tried to claim extinct but after 4 court battles now have recognition in Canada.

They are good folks....I worked with them a bit on this about 20+ years ago, knew Marilyn James back then.
Thx for mentioning them and helping bring back some fond memories for me!

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I just want to know if it's better to go to Yaak or Yakt or Yahk.

If you’d like to read some really good books about that area ⬆ while you’re dealing with your C-19 downtime, local author Rick Bass has several volumes of great stories published that you might enjoy.

GHI

Adventurer
If you’d like to read some really good books about that area ⬆ while you’re dealing with your C-19 downtime, local author Rick Bass has several volumes of great stories published that you might enjoy.
We should get a bunch of Expo'rs together and buy the Dirty Shame Saloon. Turn it into a stop-over or something for Overlanders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles