****** is "West Kootenays? "

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I haven't been to any of the Yaak/Yahk places but Yaak looks like it has two bars and nothing else... while Yahk has a building with goats on the roof. Clearly once the border's back open a YAAK TO YAHK rally is in order!

Be sure to Bring your fishing rod...this is a absolutely great, remote, uncrowded place in northern Montana for
some very enjoyable fly fishing.

991632C1-9424-4831-8C06-324CC5FC2D7A.jpeg

“Use of the Yaak River is generally quite low. Most of the fishing and floating pressure on the Yaak River comes from the local population, as few out-state fisherman make their way up to this remote and isolated section of Montana on a fly fishing trip.

The Yaak region of Montana is known for its extensive wildlife, including grizzly bears, black bears and a healthy population of moose. The river itself offers good trout fishing both above and below Yaak Falls. And in the rivers lower stretches, the Yaak offers the daring floater some wonderful rafting or kayaking opportunities.

Fishing the Yaak
The Yaak River is a fine river to fly fish. The Yaak offers up average sized rainbows, cutthroats and a healthy population of larger brook trout....The Yaak River region is very isolated. Not surprisingly, fly fishing pressure on the Yaak is quite low, with the bulk of all fishermen being locals. Thus, the Yaak River can provide a visiting angler with a fine opportunity to fish in an un-crowded river in a remote, quiet setting.“

s.e.charles

We should get a bunch of Expo'rs together and buy the Dirty Shame Saloon. Turn it into a stop-over or something for Overlanders.

I've wondered why more places for folks haven't popped up. a place to park for a couple of nights, dump out, recharge, restock, do a couple of loads of laundry, fix a couple of things, and then move on. no, not a campground, but more like a truckstop with benefits. no lot lizards, though. that would get sketchy real quick.

GHI

Adventurer
I disagree. I pay $50-90 a stop when traveling with wife and kids. Put a pool in it and that gets our attention. Not sure of what insurance costs for that pool.

*cash only
ATM in the lobby. $2.75 service fee

billiebob

They are good folks....I worked with them a bit on this about 20+ years ago, knew Marilyn James back then.
Thx for mentioning them and helping bring back some fond memories for me!
Reading about this part of our past is truly inspirational.

A month ago I saw a pickup with a red license plate. I asked if I could take a picture of it, the young guy I'd prefer you don't so I didn't but it was not a BC or WA plate it was a Colville First Nations Plate, in Canada. I would love to know how that happened. It is great to see the Sinixt back in The Arrow Lakes Valley. ... Officially.... And promising to know they are involved in the next Columbia River Treaty.

The Court Case initiated 10 years ago proves what can be done when politicians agendas clash with legal justice.

borison

Adventurer
Reading about this part of our past is truly inspirational.

A month ago I saw a pickup with a red license plate. I asked if I could take a picture of it, the young guy I'd prefer you don't so I didn't but it was not a BC or WA plate it was a Colville First Nations Plate, in Canada. I would love to know how that happened. It is great to see the Sinixt back in The Arrow Lakes Valley. ... Officially.... And promising to know they are involved in the next Columbia River Treaty.

The Court Case initiated 10 years ago proves what can be done when politicians agendas clash with legal justice.
I’m guessing if you saw that Colville tribal plate in BC, he probably just drove across the boarder. Those plates are around here in Washington.

1000arms

I’m guessing if you saw that Colville tribal plate in BC, he probably just drove across the boarder. Those plates are around here in Washington.
Ouch! :cool:

1000arms

Thanks Webster
I'm glad you are thankful for the dictionary link.

As for me, I'd rather be the type of person that finds the situation your post implied humorous, than be the type of person that finds the situation your post described humorous. :cool:

Railvan

Adventurer
Seriously, the Kootenays are the valleys the Columbia River flows thru. BC, WA, ID, bordering on OR. One of the worlds biggest Hydro projects. One of the longest rivers in the world.

Gods Country.

View attachment 578584

The fascinating thing is from Canal Flats the Columbia flows north and south before joining at Castlegar and flowing to the Pacific at Astoria and the Columbia Reach.

Just looking at this map while in isolation is tough. It's sunny out, and the camper van is sitting in the backyard. I totally understand staying home is the right thing to do, but this map calls me. Such a wonderful area.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Here is a look at the part of the West Kootenay...

m8qL49J.jpg

that I call home......??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles