WTB the Largest Hardsided Locking Roof Carrier Box...

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

WTB the Largest Hardsided Locking Roof Carrier Box for a Ford Expedition, preferably with some aerodynamics to help out.

Most of the carriers I find only seem to take up to 2/3rds of the available roof area (width-wise), but I am looking for something that will take up nearly the whole roof area (or near to it).
I think Thule is the largest at 22 CF and Modula at 23 CF are the largest, and I don't want to run two simultaneously or a safari styled strap down roof rack, but I want MOAR ;)

Thank you,

WWD

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'm not clear on whether you're after maximum volume or just a different (wider) layout.

Fiamma makes a mess of RV-top boxes:

If you need bigger than that, I'd focus on the RV world, there are a ton of companies like "Pack-Master", "Stor-More", etc. that make top boxes that hold acres of stuff.

WRONG_WAY_DAVE

Herbie, thank you for responding. I am looking for aerodynamic with more volume.

The Thule is lightweight (if even a wee bit flimsy) but the big XXL boxes (22 CF) and at $650-$850 are generally only 36 inches wide, so I figured there must be something the same height and length, but a bit wider to add more storage volume.

The Trailblazer fits the bill but is pricey and heavy (but looks super sturdy). The perfect marriage would be if Thule made the same size and it was only 60-70 lbs +/- as well my factory roof can only take 200 lbs.

I do know if it is out there, you guys will know of it though!

WVI

Adventurer
no, not that brand/item. I see hard shell roof top carriers for sale.
It seems to depend on what type of area you are in, as to what is available.
I see many Sears branded ones for sale.
Some Thule.
It looks as if folks use them for a few trips, or in a move then after they set unused for a while, they decide to get rid of them.
I believe the high end ones are folks who have moved to areas without much skiing ect and sell them.
Many are in great shape. Some need keys. Some have the mounts.

ericvs

Thanks, we are getting there lol!
But dang!! The weight! The price! Yikes!!
haha, Agreed on both your yikes, but I have owned both the 115 and the 90 system and I have never 2nd guessed my purchase.

You can occasionally find them used on craigslist for a bunch less than new.
Good luck with your search!

Reactions: WVI

thebmrust

I second the Packasport 115. Keep an eye on local and area Craigslist ads. I got our 115 for $50. They show up, but cheap ones are rare.

Another option is to custom build what you want. See if your local boat builder, 4x4 shop, or even people who have CNC plasma tables and can TIG aluminum. Might come up with something insanely amazing. And make friends too.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
It might be helpful if you would share what you plan on putting into this massive locking Box.
It seems anything that large is gonna be heavy and expensive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior