WTB: Smaller, Winter-Ready RV

Andventur

Hi all,
I’m looking to buy a rig that’s winter-ready (ie arctic package) and large enough for a family of four but not so big as to be unmanageable. Couple of other guidelines on what I’m looking for:
  • Realistically I don’t have the time to do a build - maybe some modifications To add solar, or other small projects like that.
  • I have looked at some extended, high roof vans and it’s just hard to imagine something that small working for our family for a couple of weeks at a time, especially if gear should get wet and need to be spread out to dry.
  • 4x4 is nice to have but from my reading it seems like winter tires should be adequate given the weight of the rig.
  • I anticipate doing a bit of boondocking, so would need water/bathroom systems to stay operable in low temps in the mountains, and for the dump valves to not freeze for eventual dumps. I think that means fully enclosed and heated underbelly and connections.

There are some old 24-26 ft Bigfoot campers that look like they fit the bill, but does anyone have or know of something that fits the description above?
Thanks in advance for your help!

skpiste

Bigfoots do well but command a high price.
Triple-E are simply the best off the shelf rigs for cold. Unfortunately most are in Canada but if you have the dough there are some high end units in the states. The company has evolved into Leisure Travel Vans.
ALP built in Yakima but sold in Canada. I did look at a unit in Washington state but did not find the build quality to be that great. Newer ones are probably better. https://www.fraserway.com/buy-an-rv/abbotsford/shop-rvs/2021-alp-adventurer-24ds19-65300
HOST RV's built in Bend that were made 2000-2012 or so.
Chinooks but may be a bit small for 4.

Easiest to just get a Truck Camper like Arctic Fox, Lance, Host or similar. Either way its a tall order if you are on a budget. Be prepared to throw a lot of fossil fuels at it to keep it warm and unfrozen. Skirting and thermal curtains go a long way. I made my own dual pane windows using multi-wall poly carbonate. The red curtains have 80g Thinsulate sandwiched between the plies with Mylar foil.

I spent 2 years researching before buying a custom built rig. Wool insulation inside a fiberglass clam shell with all plumbing inside the cavity. Good down below 0˚ but the floor is chilly (Down Booties !)

PM
PDX
USA

Attachments

• IMG_5837.JPG
    IMG_5837.JPG
    965.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5838.JPG
    IMG_5838.JPG
    664.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5831.JPG
    IMG_5831.JPG