WTB rust free Montero 2.5

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
I can second the warmup heat output thing in my Gen 2.5, seems like it gets warm super fast!

How is the refrigerant system split then between the compressor, and the front and rear systems? There must be a Y in the plumbing high pressure and low pressure lines at the compressor?
Brief hijack for rear A/C system: "Made me look..." ;)
They just have simple tee fittings made into the high and low pressure lines near where they pass through the firewall to the front A/C system.
Ek7yBnTWMAEQBr0

Ek7yEHYW0AIFQ7Y

Last edited:

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Ok one last question......are the refrigerant lines for the rear routed underneath the vehicle, meaning outside the cabin, like brake and fuel lines?

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
Ok one last question......are the refrigerant lines for the rear routed underneath the vehicle, meaning outside the cabin, like brake and fuel lines?
Outside, underneath, passenger side.
Rear
20201022_125220~2.jpg
Front
20201022_125257B.jpg
Thanks OP, back to your Gen 2.5 search (or maybe even Gen 3!) ;)

Msmithabr

People never believe me for some reason and I don't expect this post to change any minds but late 2nd gen Durango/Aspen and the GMT360 siblings are really underrated successors to the gen 2 Montero's strengths. I guess nobody's ever shown how to unlock their all terrain touring potential and there are more pirates than pioneers in this world.

If I wanted a gen 2.5 Montero surrogate for long term all weather continent crossing adventure I'd be on the lookout for the cleanest 08ish hemi durango or aspen I could find and keep it lean and athletic.
The gmt360 is a gm platform I believe. Envoy trailblazer, Saab 97x and the Buick rainier. Not sure what the Durango is. Another chassis name with 360 potentially. Side note about the Saab 97x aero. Ls2, awd, 70e trans. I actually really like those trucks. Another little known gem. Just maybe not for the purposes of this particular forum ?

Msmithabr

Y'all...I just noticed Valdosta, GA '06 Limited just dropped to $ 5,800. 158K miles, same owner since 2012. It doesn't get much better than that for a Gen 3.
Very nicely detailed, don't see any signs of rust there of course.
'06 Montero Limited, Valdosta, GA
122118585_1147487168979239_5249776929226546373_n.jpg
That's a great find. Hijack away. Im learning about the different options as well. Thanks for the message on your experience with 3rd gens btw. It's been very helpful. I haven't fully given up on the van. Hopefully it will be a both rather than either/or. I've got a crew cab f750 project going now. 8.9 Cummins 13 double over. When that is together the van will likely get pulled in and stripped for the swap. Another clean shell and we should be back up and running on target in no time. Time and money never coexist around here. It's one or the other.

Msmithabr

Heh, might be worth nailing down what the purposes of this forum are. :)
I think I could make a gm gmt360 pretty capable. Might take an 80e swap if you wanted big tires with the 6.0. And I'm not sure what is available for lifts. But I know they have bullet proof cvs for drag racing. Wouldn't be too hard. Haven't looked into the durango's much. Most around here are completely gone with rust. As is everything else ?

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Don’t be afraid of a little rust on a Montero....unless you want a show piece. I’ve got rust on mine.....underneath the truck everything is rusty but still strong. Every little support bracket is twice as big as it needs to be, I haven’t had anything fall off or not be able to be serviced. Just use breakaway on stuff and be patient. I also periodically paint important stuff. The body has only just recently started to have some bad spots, but I don’t care. It’s not my daily driver. I use it for recreation mostly.

Msmithabr

I dislike working on rusty vehicles. Anytime I crawl under something from the rust belt I just don't enjoy it. I really enjoy my time in the shop when the vehicle is clean. Chasing rust and visits to the eye doctor just really kill it for me. If I don't enjoy it, I will likely neglect the simple maintenance things, or pay a knucklehead to do it. Both bad things ?

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I dislike working on rusty vehicles. Anytime I crawl under something from the rust belt I just don't enjoy it. I really enjoy my time in the shop when the vehicle is clean. Chasing rust and visits to the eye doctor just really kill it for me. If I don't enjoy it, I will likely neglect the simple maintenance things, or pay a knucklehead to do it. Both bad things ?
The way I see it, my truck is getting lighter the older it gets, which makes it faster and more fuel efficient.

Msmithabr

The way I see it, my truck is getting lighter the older it gets, which makes it faster and more fuel efficient.
My buddy had a 300k mile t100 with no rockers and the bed hanging on for dear life. Bit of a weight reduction everytime you slapped the side of the truck. Plenty of frame patches. Finally met it's match with a little unplanned off-road excursion. Truck was a rusty tank for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles