WTB rust free Montero 2.5

Msmithabr

Looking for a rust free 2.5. Don't mind some mechanical work. Located in Michigan. Willing to travel for a driver. Winter package would be a bonus but not necessary. Post here or pm any leads.

Thanks all,
Mike

MasterofMuppets

I've been looking for a new Monty as well. I'm not sure how far you're willing to travel for one, but here's a couple of listings that i've come across in my search:

Link:Location:Asking Price:Details:
Naperville, IL​
$4000​
98 Montero, From the Ad: "It needs the engine to be put in... The engine on the stand has 90000 miles"​
Binghamton, NY​
$1000​
99 Montero w/ Winter Package; 145k miles, needs work​
https://bit.ly/3k4dYPf (shortened AutoTrader link)​
San Pedro, CA​
$3500​
98 Montero with 265k miles and running​

plh

Explorer
I've been looking for a new Monty as well. I'm not sure how far you're willing to travel for one, but here's a couple of listings that i've come across in my search:

Link:Location:Asking Price:Details:
Naperville, IL​
$4000​
98 Montero, From the Ad: "It needs the engine to be put in... The engine on the stand has 90000 miles"​
Binghamton, NY​
$1000​
99 Montero w/ Winter Package; 145k miles, needs work​
https://bit.ly/3k4dYPf (shortened AutoTrader link)​
San Pedro, CA​
$3500​
98 Montero with 265k miles and running​

That '98 in Naperville is a joke right?

Msmithabr

That '98 in Naperville is a joke right?

As much as it pains me I would probably pay near what the guy wants if he hasn't turned it into a basket case. It's hard to find anything clean around where I'm at. But other people's projects turns into constant runs to the hardware or worse. Appreciate the link for sure. I'll post up if I find anything decent as well.

plh

Explorer
As much as it pains me I would probably pay near what the guy wants if he hasn't turned it into a basket case. It's hard to find anything clean around where I'm at. But other people's projects turns into constant runs to the hardware or worse. Appreciate the link for sure. I'll post up if I find anything decent as well.
That is going to be a rust belt vehicle as well.

Msmithabr

I'm looking for something full time 4x4 with lockup potential. Discos, certain cherokees, and monteros have been in the search. I want the Mrs. To have a vehicle with winter capabilities without needing the mechanical knowledge to know when to disengage for axle safety. I had originally bought her a 4runner but sold it to find something like mentioned above. Any other recommendations would be excellent.

normal_dave

waytoomuchwritinginposts.
So these selections are a bit pricey, but...the market is a bit hot now.
121784892_3573256279406021_4813562210176510436_o.jpg

99 Montero Winter Package, Nashville, TN

If this truck is for the Mrs., may I suggest expanding your search to include a Gen 3 Limited? Much more friendly, a hint of luxury, the independent suspension way more than makes up for in bumpy road comfort and driving features than it gives up to a solid rear axle in terms of articulation. You get 5-speed select shift, auto climate control (with premium package), separate rear heat/air, locking center differential of course.
2003_mitsubishi_montero-pic-4127786779195829883-1024x768.jpeg

'03 Limited 20th Anniv. Shawnee, KS

Obviously my current favorite, (I suppose because it is an identical twin to mine...).
2002-mitsubishi-montero-limited-4wd-4dr-suv.jpg

'02 Limited Denver, CO

This one shows pretty nice, definitely fly and buy potential.
122037816_1147487385645884_8944883863316062772_n.jpg

'06 Limited Valdosta, GA

Last edited:
Reactions: plh

PacS14

Adventurer
I ain't gonna lie, the rear AC is one of the things I wish the 2.5 had...I solved the cup holder predicament, but the rear AC is the one thing I wish I had in my 2.5

Msmithabr

So these selections are a bit pricey, but...the market is a bit hot now.
121784892_3573256279406021_4813562210176510436_o.jpg

99 Montero Winter Package, Nashville, TN

If this truck is for the Mrs., may I suggest expanding your search to include a Gen 3 Limited? Much more friendly, a hint of luxury, the independent suspension way more than makes up for in bumpy road comfort and driving features than it gives up to a solid rear axle in terms of articulation. You get 5-speed select shift, auto climate control (with premium package), separate rear heat/air, locking center differential of course.
2003_mitsubishi_montero-pic-4127786779195829883-1024x768.jpeg

'03 Limited 20th Anniv. Shawnee, KS

Obviously my current favorite, (I suppose because it is an identical twin to mine...).
2002-mitsubishi-montero-limited-4wd-4dr-suv.jpg

'02 Limited Denver, CO

This one shows pretty nice, definitely fly and buy potential.
122037816_1147487385645884_8944883863316062772_n.jpg

'06 Limited Valdosta, GA
I had never given much thought to the 3rd gen. How does it do on the trails? Any lockers available? This will serve daily duty for the wife. Would also be the primary camping/adventure rig. All of my vehicle's are too commercial in nature to have any fun with. Well, atleast that type of fun. I like the montero because it doesn't have the same "lifestyle" image attached to it. Most people probably don't know what they are. The smaller community would suit her shy personality much better imo.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I ain't gonna lie, the rear AC is one of the things I wish the 2.5 had...I solved the cup holder predicament, but the rear AC is the one thing I wish I had in my 2.5
How does the rear a/c work anyway? I’m guessing the truck still only has one compressor, but maybe with two separate refrigerant circuits? Is there an evaporator and fan at the rear?

normal_dave

I had never given much thought to the 3rd gen. How does it do on the trails? Any lockers available? This will serve daily duty for the wife. Would also be the primary camping/adventure rig. All of my vehicle's are too commercial in nature to have any fun with. Well, at least that type of fun. I like the montero because it doesn't have the same "lifestyle" image attached to it. Most people probably don't know what they are. The smaller community would suit her shy personality much better imo.
Others may offer a better "hard trail" review of the third gen Montero. My belief is for your stated use, it may well be a fantastic solution. I drive mine daily, use it for work, and then weekend duty. Think of the percentage of time you will spend "on the trails" vs. daily driver/reliable vehicle for your wife, choose the vehicle for the primary use, and you will probably be more than satisfied with it's capabilities.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, take a look at this old favorite video clip, '03+ Montero Limited, with the electronic traction control system.

Edit: here's the other one..."camera car"

Old tv ad for the Gen 3 Montero/Pajero somewhat tries to capture the dual purpose intent of the vehicle:

For me, the Gen 3 falls into the "Underdog" category. Humble, loveable, shoeshine boy by day, drops into the phone booth, and instantly becomes an off road superhero. The independent suspension is quite impressive for most of your off road use, bounding down a washboard road, it is amazingly capable, soaking up bumps, and chuckholes like nobody's business. Now if I want to have rock crawler, big drop articulation, then this is not the truck, but when you apply the 80% rule, I think the Gen 3 has it covered and then some.

Keep in mind, the Limited already comes with the locking center differential, and most often will have the hybrid rear differential, a combination of clutch and torsen style limited slip setup, very effective, and 4.30 gears with the 5-speed select shift. When you choose 4L lock center, and 1st gear, EDIT (including the 1.9 low transfer case ratio), it is really low, a 30.96:1 final. Here I was playing with logs after putting new shocks on. I was able to crawl up on these without rolling them, and stop right on top. (1st gear trans 3.79 x 1.9 low transfer case x 4.30 final).
V__7F55.jpg

Last edited:

normal_dave

How does the rear a/c work anyway? I’m guessing the truck still only has one compressor, but maybe with two separate refrigerant circuits? Is there an evaporator and fan at the rear?
The Limited has auto climate control on vehicles equipped with the premium package. There is a separate evap core in the right rear, along with a heat exchanger. Freon and coolant lines go to the back with separate vents and temp/fan controls are mounted in the back of the front console so passengers have control of the system settings. Two speed fan, A/C on/off switch, and temp control in middle row seats. A/C vents in roof at middle and rear rows, heat vents in floor at feet in middle row and on side in rear row. There is also an override on/off switch in the front lower console. It is a great feature, it really helps keep the truck cool in the Summer, and passengers nice and toasty in the Winter. Dogs love their own A/C in the rear cargo area, just sayin'.

One thing I love about the Montero, is that it seems to be providing heat within the first 1/2 mile of a cold start in Winter. I guess it is due to the big bypass pipe in the cooling system. I leave the house on a cold start, and by the time I turn out onto the main road, and hit the top of the hill, it is getting warm. No other vehicle I have ever owned is capable of providing cabin heat that fast. Add to that the heated leather front seats, and heated mirrors, and I'm spoiled pretty fast. (Perfect for the OP's Michigan Winters I would say...).

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I can second the warmup heat output thing in my Gen 2.5, seems like it gets warm super fast!

How is the refrigerant system split then between the compressor, and the front and rear systems? There must be a Y in the plumbing high pressure and low pressure lines at the compressor?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles