WTB: Propex Heater/AT Overland “Heater in Toolbox”

blackhawkip

Observer
Just received my HS2000 from Westys. Going to be doing the install over the next couple of weeks. Why don't you just order new and build what you want for your intended use? There is a ton of information online and you can get creative. I'd suspect it'd be a needle in a haystack finding a used one but you never know.

Good luck

bwolf

I'm very curious about this unit - we used this propane heater in our RTT this weekend at Frozen Mud Fest AKA ExpoEast ... it worked AMAZINGLY well... And other campers did same - so much so that, as the only issue I found was the 1lb tank need a change during the night, I'm thinking this version in the vestibule - or this triple option -

I'm not trolling - I figure there must be a major advantage here - At $1500, what is the gain with the “Heater in a Toolbox” -
My understanding is that you're risking your life going to sleep with the heater you linked to in an enclosed space. You are using the air you breath as the oxygen source for your heater. And any incomplete combustion in the heater can result in CO (carbon monoxide) build up in your space. A lessor issue (from a safety perspective) is that you'll get a lot of condensation from the heater in your tent, which can make life uncomfortable.

What does the Propex heater have going for it? It isolates the hot air you breath from the air it uses to burn the propane. By placing the body of the Propex heater outside your space, you avoid condensation issues, CO issues, and just get to enjoy warm, dry air.

I keep reading that people do use cheaper propane heaters, e.g. Mr. Heater, in their tent, but in all cases, they run it for no more than 10-15 minutes, ensure there is a fresh air source, and make certain they are awake while it is running.

RogueWon

My understanding is that you're risking your life going to sleep with the heater you linked to in an enclosed space. You are using the air you breath as the oxygen source for your heater. And any incomplete combustion in the heater can result in CO (carbon monoxide) build up in your space. A lessor issue (from a safety perspective) is that you'll get a lot of condensation from the heater in your tent, which can make life uncomfortable.

What does the Propex heater have going for it? It isolates the hot air you breath from the air it uses to burn the propane. By placing the body of the Propex heater outside your space, you avoid condensation issues, CO issues, and just get to enjoy warm, dry air.

I keep reading that people do use cheaper propane heaters, e.g. Mr. Heater, in their tent, but in all cases, they run it for no more than 10-15 minutes, ensure there is a fresh air source, and make certain they are awake while it is running.

I see ... to the first, I had the propane heater set up right next to the tent window with a solid 8"x3" opening in the zipper - and another slit on the opposite side for x-venting ... ran it all night on <2 1lb cans with zero CO2 issues (ftr, the unit features a CO2 sensor that shuts the system off if the balance goes negative ... and that function TOO WELL /wink - won't run without the windows open for air)

That said - you are BANG ON regarding condensation - crazy amounts that did freeze against the ten walls. I'm looking into ways to mitigate that now but cool that your system eliminates the problem. Thanks

kalieaire

Observer
I know its a diesel heater, but found this cruising around on Amazon. Not sure if anyone has used one can speak to the quality of this product, but for the price it might be worth a try if anyone is interested.

https://www.amazon.com/DOMINTY-Sile...692474&sr=8-3&keywords=camping+trailer+heater

I got one of the all in one units instead. $200 bucks. Works great. It's super hot. The best part about the diesel heater is that if I run out of propane, I still have fuel to heat my truck. I don't need a high pressure cylinder inside my living space either. I run kerosene so I hardly get any smoke, and once it's heated up, it's like running a kerosene space heater in the living room. Better than getting one of those planar/webasto/eberspacher deals. the cost of parts replacement on the name brand units costs as much as a new unit from China.

I hate dealing with propane because I have to worry about threads, refilling is a pain in the ass because I use a 5lbs tank.

I only use the heater before I go to bed and when I wake up in the morning, about 30min a day. w/ the 10l tank on a 5kw unit, I have like 40 days worth. I can also carry extra fuel in a platypus bag.

ngirondo

I got one of the all in one units instead. $200 bucks. Works great. It's super hot. The best part about the diesel heater is that if I run out of propane, I still have fuel to heat my truck. I don't need a high pressure cylinder inside my living space either. I run kerosene so I hardly get any smoke, and once it's heated up, it's like running a kerosene space heater in the living room. Better than getting one of those planar/webasto/eberspacher deals. the cost of parts replacement on the name brand units costs as much as a new unit from China.

I hate dealing with propane because I have to worry about threads, refilling is a pain in the ass because I use a 5lbs tank.

I only use the heater before I go to bed and when I wake up in the morning, about 30min a day. w/ the 10l tank on a 5kw unit, I have like 40 days worth. I can also carry extra fuel in a platypus bag.

what heater did you end up going with?

ngirondo

How do you like it? I wanted the propane one but its triple the price thinking this may be the way to go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier