WTB - Hardened (bear-resistant) all-terrain camper

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I believe the Expedition Portal has an education slide series on the subject of bears.

slide12.jpg

I am interested in buying an all-terrain camper/expedition vehicle that can withstand one or more attacks by grizzly bears. The part of the vehicle that contains the living/sleeping area should protect the occupants during one or more attacks. And, the vehicle should be able to traverse rocky and/or hilly terrain, creeks, etc. in remote areas (mainly in the US and Canada).

One possible vehicle I thought of is an LMTV or FMTV with a habitat at back. The habitat would need to have hardened walls (steel, etc.) -- not thin fiberglass found in standard RV's.

I am interested in purchasing within about a month.

Thanks.

So, going back to the original post (all replies given are appreciated), I'll modify it a little...

I am interested in buying an all-terrain camper/expedition vehicle that meets the following requirements:

• Can withstand one or more attacks by grizzly bears and other wild animals (e.g. moose, etc.). The part of the vehicle that contains the living/sleeping area should protect 1-2 occupants during one or more attacks.
  • Should include barriers or other features in the design to minimize damage to hoses and other components by smaller animals.
  • Should be able to traverse rocky and/or hilly terrain, creeks, etc. in remote areas (mainly in the US and Canada).
One possible vehicle I thought of is an LMTV or FMTV with a habitat at back. The habitat would need to have hardened walls (steel, etc.) -- not thin fiberglass found in standard RV's.

I am interested in purchasing within about a month, if possible.

Reactions: mog

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Better knowing your needs and plans help us give you useful advice and ideas.

There’s a pretty awesome, already fully kitted out LMTV listed on the Expo right now that possibility could be ready for action with just some outside mods (adding the extra side cladding).

Why would you need this? Are you planning on harassing or baiting bears into attacking you?

If not, you have no need for a"vehicle that can withstand one or more attacks by grizzly bears".

Don't plan on baiting or harassing a bear (or any other animal). But, even though I will follow bear deterrence recommendations/precautions, I appreciate I will be on their land and that there are some things outside of my control. Prefer to have a safe shelter if/when needed while also appreciating the environment.

SFP

I'm concerned about safety for the occupants while inside the camper, as well as damage to the camper while outside of it. Certainly safety for the occupants is extremely important. But, if you leave the vehicle and come back to one that is severely damaged while in the middle of nowhere, the situation might be much more than an inconvenience.

Regarding personal safety outside the rig -- bear spray, bear bangers, noise makers, flares, an electric fence, a rifle (as a last resort), situational awareness (e.g. staying away from cubs, staying away from carcasses, keeping a distance from other feeding areas, etc.), understanding bear behavior, etc. I'll also mention another deterrent while inside the vehicle is an unwelcome mat. Would probably need at least several of these,, though.

Please understand these are all good questions--I appreciate everyone asking and don't mind discussing. But, I also want to keep in mind the purpose of this forum--to facilitate buying/selling expedition vehicles. So, it might be best to discuss these other topics by DM or in another forum.

First question: American or Canadian? Reason I ask is bringing a rifle into Canada is not that easy (yes I am well aware one can smuggle/sneak one in easily enough) if you are an American.

It can be done. Getting caught without the proper permits and such is not a good thing as the Canadian Gov can add you to their version of a no fly list for entry to Canada if one is caught with what the arresting officer/game warden consider an illegal gun. As well if they want to be jerks about it, they can legally seize your rig and assets (doesn't happen often, but can happen). If you are doing Alaska and are an American, I personally would choose a handgun over a rifle. It is unreal how fast a grizzly can move at full run while charging. The guides/people I have done Alaska with all carried handguns for said purpose with the argument being you can pull out and fire a handgun way quicker than lining up a shot with a rifle (I know some ex-military folks who can/would challenge that).

The bear spray and bangers are good idea. Never carried them myself, but lots of people up that way swear by them.

For rodents and such there are sprays designed for autos that deter mice/rats/etc. Mighty Mint comes to mind as well as Captain Phab is another one I have heard of (never used either myself).

Probably a long shot, but wolverines are something to be aware up that way. Rarely sighted (only seen three my entire life in the wild), but they can have an attitude and do serious damage to people/things as well.

And as far as asking said questions here. I have always been under the impression the site is about exploration/travel/overlanding and not just vehicles, so IMHO your questions are totally in scope of what the site exists for.

And not sure you have thought of it, or perhaps already have but in my experience connecting with a local guide/game warden/police department in the area(s) one is going to be traveling to before hand is a world of help. These are the pros who work in the field in that area and most are willing to make some time to respond to an email or three or even take a phone call, as well they are the best resource for cool places "not on the maps". Myself I like to drop off a bottle or print as a thank you, as it's the way I was raised.

SFP

So, going back to the original post (all replies given are appreciated), I'll modify it a little...

I am interested in buying an all-terrain camper/expedition vehicle that meets the following requirements:

• Can withstand one or more attacks by grizzly bears and other wild animals (e.g. moose, etc.). The part of the vehicle that contains the living/sleeping area should protect 1-2 occupants during one or more attacks.
  • Should include barriers or other features in the design to minimize damage to hoses and other components by smaller animals.
  • Should be able to traverse rocky and/or hilly terrain, creeks, etc. in remote areas (mainly in the US and Canada).

I am interested in purchasing within about a month, if possible.

Might I ask why this area and what time of year you plan on going?

Reason I ask is this...

Freeze in, freeze out (fall and spring) changes the terrain in a big way.

Also depending on where one is going a larger LMTV may not make it down a lot of the smaller back roads. And if you have never dealt with tundra or muskeg remember stuff sinks and good luck getting something super heavy out on one's own - the stuff is like quicksand. Something to consider.

While we are on the topic, if you have never been to the region before, black flies and misquotes are a serious pain in the butt up there. Like the skeeter gets this big (holds hand three feet apart). So you may want to also consider some sort of screened in canopy/shelter/gazebo if you want to enjoy the outdoors.

As well keep in mind, stuff that is easily fixed down south is not so easily fixed up north. Parts are not readily available, skilled mechanics know what they know and that is about it. Carry spare parts, carry at least two full size spares. Your A/C goes, ya may end up living without it. Your heater goes, everyone will know how to fix that. The big three are still the auto of choice up that way with Toyota, Subara, Nissan up next.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
First question: American or Canadian? Reason I ask is bringing a rifle into Canada is not that easy (yes I am well aware one can smuggle/sneak one in easily enough) if you are an American.

It can be done. Getting caught without the proper permits and such is not a good thing as the Canadian Gov can add you to their version of a no fly list for entry to Canada if one is caught with what the arresting officer/game warden consider an illegal gun. As well if they want to be pricks about it, they can legally seize your rig and assets (doesn't happen often, but can happen). If you are doing Alaska and are an American, I personally would choose a handgun over a rifle. It is unreal how fast a grizzly can move at full run while charging. The guides/people I have done Alaska with all carried handguns for said purpose with the argument being you can pull out and fire a handgun way quicker than lining up a shot with a rifle (I know some ex-military folks who can/would challenge that).

The bear spray and bangers are good idea. Never carried them myself, but lots of people up that way swear by them.

For rodents and such there are sprays designed for autos that deter mice/rats/etc. Mighty Mint comes to mind as well as Captain Phab is another one I have heard of (never used either myself).

Probably a long shot, but wolverines are something to be aware up that way. Rarely sighted (only seen three my entire life in the wild), but they can have an attitude and do serious damage to people/things as well.

And as far as asking said questions here. I have always been under the impression the site is about exploration/travel/overlanding and not just vehicles, so IMHO your questions are totally in scope of what the site exists for.

And not sure you have thought of it, or perhaps already have but in my experience connecting with a local guide/game warden/police department in the area(s) one is going to be traveling to before hand is a world of help. These are the pros who work in the field in that area and most are willing to make some time to respond to an email or three or even take a phone call, as well they are the best resource for cool places "not on the maps". Myself I like to drop off a bottle or print as a thank you, as it's the way I was raised.

I can confirm that Canada is very strict with bringing in fire arms. A good friend is a border agent and she told me that your vehicle and pretty much everything you bring will be first confiscated and you most likely end up in jail for at least a couple days. It’s a very serious offence.

Reactions: SFP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles