WTB "Ham" radio

vevans

Retired 4-Wheeler
Want to buy a used ham radio that you do not need anymore. I need a ham radio for ROF outings. Other than that I do not have a need for a ham radio. My Jeep'n partners all have good CB's and they do not want to change radios.

Will reply to all PM's.

Vince

ricoisme26

Sorry newbie, what is ROF? I was reading some about the backcountry discovery routes and saw people talking about ROF as well. They were old threads and didn’t want to dig them up.

sdnative

Adventurer
If all you need is 146.460 MHz just get yourself one of these:

It is a commercial radio, not a ham radio but it will operate in the ham radio frequencies. It does not have some of the repeater operation conveniences that a dedicated amateur radio brand (Kenwood, Yaesu, etc) would have, but it will do everything one of those units would do (just a few more steps to get it setup).

But for simplex operation (e.g. 146.460 MHz), it's just a matter of typing in the frequency, locking the keypad, and using it.

When I qualify, I hope to join one of Frenchie's ROF runs. I have seen some trip reports and they look great.

pinchibuso

Want to buy a used ham radio that you do not need anymore. I need a ham radio for ROF outings. Other than that I do not have a need for a ham radio. My Jeep'n partners all have good CB's and they do not want to change radios.

Will reply to all PM's.

Vince
Look up the BTech 50W dual band radios. They are family cheap and you can program them yourself with Chirp software.

vevans

Retired 4-Wheeler
I want to thank all that have replied with suggestions, hints, and ideas on a Ham radio purchase. I learned a lot from all of you.

I found what I hope is a good sale on a Yaesu dual band radio and antenna. And, I passed the FCC license exam last weekend.Now all I need is to make everything work and learn how to use it.

Thanks again.

Vince

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yaesu makes top end radios so unless the one you're looking at has been modified or severely abused you're better off with it over Baofeng.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke