WTB Ambulance - Converted or not

natevolk

My biggest concern for 4x4 is to get out of the sand on the beach �� Most other places I go I can get to with 4x2, but I guess I haven't tried in a 15k lbs vehicle. 4x4 is always nice though! Can anyone ballpark the price of a ujoint conversion parts? I can get a fabricator friend to help with the install...

MikeCG

Adventurer
Here is their website. http://www.ujointoffroad.com/ I had them give me a quote last year. I don't remember the actual quote, but the kits are under 4x4 parts tab. The kits are for regular vans. Your ambulance will be a little more because the standard springs won't work in the heavier ambulance. You'll have to take the ambulance to a scale to get it weighed so they can figure out the actual spring weights you'll need.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Here is their website. http://www.ujointoffroad.com/ I had them give me a quote last year. I don't remember the actual quote, but the kits are under 4x4 parts tab. The kits are for regular vans. Your ambulance will be a little more because the standard springs won't work in the heavier ambulance. You'll have to take the ambulance to a scale to get it weighed so they can figure out the actual spring weights you'll need.

Generally Chris will want you to weigh whatever van you're converting, Ambo or not, preferably with the bulk of whatever you're adding on already installed. Last I knew spring cost was spring cost, but that may have changed

MikeCG

Adventurer
Generally Chris will want you to weigh whatever van you're converting, Ambo or not, preferably with the bulk of whatever you're adding on already installed. Last I knew spring cost was spring cost, but that may have changed

Ya, I realized after reading their site a little more that the price difference in my quote was probably engine/tranny related items.

PGGRS

Observer
I bought Oz's '95 Quigley box ambo with the intention of doing a 2nd build. I went back to work full time & it just sits. Thinking of selling it or my 1st build & slowly building the other over the next 5 years until I retire again. I also have an Alpenlite truck camper which has everything you'd need , including a wetbath & genset. Have thoughts of using the entire cabover/roof assembly, which would give me about an extra 10" headroom. A lot of work but it measures out perfectly.
My '97 would be way out of your budget.
Also of note, my '97 Quigley has the Agile Offroad Ride Improvement Package. drives like a DREAM on & offroad. Rig has been to Alaska & all over the country, has never failed to go where I've asked, but I understand limitations. Ironically , when I was at Expo East last fall, I had a U-joint go out. U-Joint was right down the street! They got my (shhhh) Quigley back to me in 1/2 day including sending the driveshaft out for balancing. A great group of guys, thanks Chris. If I had a 2wd I wanted to convert I'd go with them, but I'd take my Quigley as it sits over anything out there...

huskyhauler

Adventurer
Another thing to double check on with this proposed convo:

A friend of mine just bought a new panel van (no rear seats or windows) with the idea of converting it to a home build camper. But she is having an incredibly hard time getting it insured (actually no luck at all getting it covered in the past week), because the insurance companies don't consider it an RV, it hasn't been professionally converted, and yet at the same time she is not using it for commercial purposes.

This ridiculous problem makes no sense to me, but somewhere in one of the home build van forums, I read a post warning folks that they could have the same insurability problem with ambulance convos.

So, you might want to check up on this.

Good luck with your search.

It depends on the State you live in. California can be more difficult than others, but it's not impossible or hard. DO NOT attempt to have it insured as an RV. When you call to get insurance most carriers won't insure it on regular policies if it's over 10K GVWR. If it's over 10K GVWR it will need to be insured as a commercial vehicle. You don't need to prove that you are using it for a business or commercial purposes. I told them I was using my ambo for private use including home depot runs, costco, etc and it was insured no problem in the state of Washington.

kcernest

Observer
I looked into the insurance issue when starting mine and I think what I found was if you put a sink with flowing water and a porta potty in there it will check the boxes needed to be considered an RV.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I looked into the insurance issue when starting mine and I think what I found was if you put a sink with flowing water and a porta potty in there it will check the boxes needed to be considered an RV.

That sounds like requirements for state registrations, which has nothing to do with insurance. Most insurance companies don't care where you live. What they look at is the vin number which tells them what your vehicle was born as. If it was born as your standard run of the mill van, that's what it is to them and they don't care what you've done to it.

To them my Ambo was a commercial vehicle, and only a camper if It was done professionally. At the end of the day I got it insured as a commercial vehicle which was only a matter of a few dollars/month. What I got from the agent when It was all said and done is that it's all about semantics. Just don't call it an RV. I could do whatever I wanted to it with commercial insurance, just can't call it an RV. A mobile office with convenience features, no problem. A job site command center with overnight facilities, gotcha. Just no RV in there. Shoot, you can probably just call it a conversion van without going into any damning specifics, and get through.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I have mine registered and insured as an RV. All I had to do was complete the AZ transfer from commercial to RV and then with insurance the "Manufacturer" I listed for the last one was Medic Master and it went through OK. Some companies have online insurance applications. Just go through them and see if your box builder is listed as a manufacturer.

gringorick

Adventurer
Thank you all, I forgot to mention that I'd like one with a box, not just a van, the class 3 I think :). My max budget is probably 25k if it fits my needs and is ready to go-ish. I'm in Southern California, but I could fly and drive anywhere to pick something up.

I have a pretty nice, expedition ready 4x4 amby that I will probably put up for sale. $25k sounds about right. PM me if you are interested.

0B6IomVNeChTTazlfVnlWVTJJSkU

0B6IomVNeChTTVm1RYnRwbDJ2U1E

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne