WTB 80's/90"s Mercedes 4x4 207,208,209,309,409,609,809 Fully Outfitted or Bare

savagehenry

I'm a recovering Diesel Landcruiser junkie, been off the wagon for a couple years stuck in Brooklyn, but I'm back on the west coast and ready to get into a Mercedes Camper. Either I am completely blind or again we in the states got screwed out of a vehicle the rest of the world has had for decades like the Diesel Cruisers. I'm looking for a cleanish, roadworthy, full expo or just a good base to build from.

Ideally a mid 90's Diesel 4x4 Auto ready to roll. Show me what ya got or know where its at! OBV if needs importing nothing younger than 1990.

Only caveat: no frankensteins, i went through hell with a basket case cummins 6bt cruiser build and almost died twice from the brakes failing.
Basically looking for a solid rolling chassis and body, paint doesnt matter. Looking to take it everywhere, My best friend Leaf is livin on a prayer and we're gonna cover as many miles and cross as many rivers and hopefully oceans till the wheels fall off. We'll need a bed, makeshift toilet and storage. kitchen/entertainment all optional.

www.wheresleaf.com

We've done two trips so far in rented RV's and hes still holding on, now its time to sport our own.

Any direction greatly appreciated.

Looking to spend 10/15K, cap is 20k for the Jewel of the Nile. and 50k if Princess Diana went mudding in it.

something like these:

http://www.rtautosport.de/pics/309turbo_6.jpg

http://globalcarslist.com/data_imag...benz-vario-310/mercedes-benz-vario-310-05.jpg

I'm located in Portland, OR

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Those are nice vans but not really "factory" offered - they were either home built or aftermarket conversions - a lot like sportsmobiles or quigleys -

Your story is a great one - just not sure if 4x4 is required for the trip. Lots of MB sprinters with good clearance and a nice turbo diesel - add some sand mats and a winch perhaps and hit the road. Or get a AWD astro/safari - not diesel but that shouldn't be a requirement with gas prices.

Hope you have some good travels...

savagehenry

I'm aware they are custom built, to clarify by no Frankenstein's I just meant I'm looking for professionally installed aftermarket parts.
The dodge looks great, I'm set on a Mercedes however.

Thanks for the replies!

kerry

Expedition Leader
I believe Mercedes did make some 4wd versions of the larger vans perhaps only in the 8XX versions. I've seen them for sale on mobile.de or german Ebay. No mention of them being custom or one off conversions.

Camelfilter

Explorer
Good luck in your search, compromise if you have to, to get rolling sooner rather than later. There are many other options available, so your friend can have a comfortable trip.

I lost my brother to multiple myeloma in 2012.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000