WTB 1st gen Tundra

PHeller

Adventurer
Ok...so there is your list.

Are you asking for which we'd pursue?

This one:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/d/2006-toyota-tundra-sr5-access/6613912697.html

By comparison, I paid $6k for a Crew Cab Limited all options but with a salvage title. Exterior damage and repairs were well done, but airbags were left unfixed. I got it with a 169,000, immediately did timing belt and water pump and it's been flawless for 11,000 miles. I don't plan to wreck it, but I do plan to drive it for a couple of years and by that time it'll be worthless or maybe sold as parts, so the salvage title didn't matter much to me.

windtraveler

Observer
I’m not asking for anything. Just thought I would post what I run across for anyone else that might be looking. I applaud your approach but that won’t work for me. I’m hoping to find one I can hang on to a while and is in really good condition. I’m not much of a tinkerer and would rather spend my time on other pursuits. I found one that I want, now I just have to wait and see if he will accept my offer. It will probably take 2-3 weeks. I will continue to search and if I find another similar I will be a little more aggressive towards my purchase.

Kpack

Adventurer
Be sure to have them send some underframe pictures. Most ads (including those you posted) don't ever have underframe pictures. These Toyota's have a nasty habit of rusting quickly on the frame and associated components. Knowing what I know now, I would've made an underbody inspection a high priority before I bought my truck.

My frame is in decent condition, but I've also spent some time cleaning it up and painting it periodically. Many of the nuts and bolts were fairly rusted, making it difficult to make repairs.

If you don't plan on doing a lot of work to the truck it's still a good idea to be sure you are riding on a solid frame. Peace of mind at the least.

windtraveler

Observer
Be sure to have them send some underframe pictures. Most ads (including those you posted) don't ever have underframe pictures. These Toyota's have a nasty habit of rusting quickly on the frame and associated components. Knowing what I know now, I would've made an underbody inspection a high priority before I bought my truck.

My frame is in decent condition, but I've also spent some time cleaning it up and painting it periodically. Many of the nuts and bolts were fairly rusted, making it difficult to make repairs.

If you don't plan on doing a lot of work to the truck it's still a good idea to be sure you are riding on a solid frame. Peace of mind at the least.
Thanks. Good advice.

dman93

Adventurer
Just FYI, my friend has a 1st gen AccessCab and it’s very roomy in the back. Less comfortable than my 3rd Geng Tacoma double cab but still fine to ride back there, and perhaps even more room for gear. If you can handle the suicide doors, I think an AC is better value and more useful.

windtraveler

Observer
Just FYI, my friend has a 1st gen AccessCab and it’s very roomy in the back. Less comfortable than my 3rd Geng Tacoma double cab but still fine to ride back there, and perhaps even more room for gear. If you can handle the suicide doors, I think an AC is better value and more useful.
If I could only convince my wife of that!

Lemmy

For what its worth, I just paid 18.5K for a 2006 DC Limited 4wd with 79K on it here in the SF Bay Area, interior is spotless and only a few scratches (that I only seem to notice more each day ha ha) I looked for months and was willing to pay a little more for low miles. They are out there you just have to move fast. Bonus is that it is the exact colore I wanted the Phantom Grey.
I put the Bilstein 6612's on the front to level it and it rides wonderfully, now on the hunt for right tire and wheel combo and a camper shell for it. Hope you found your truck!

windtraveler

Observer
I found an 06 double cab with 72k miles. 1 owner, meticulous maintenance records, zero rust. Immaculate condition inside and out. It took about a year to find it but well worth the wait.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23

GB_Willys_2014

Congratulations on finding your Tundra!

I bought a brand new 1st Gen Tundra AC, SR5, TRD 4wd in 2000. Trouble free except for a bad intake manifold and the infamous rusty frame.

Loved that truck but after 14 years and 180k, I had to make some hard decisions. The frame condition scared me. The transmission had me worried too, as the early Tundra's had a reputation for A340 failure at ~150k.

I posted it FS on CL, and it was sold in less than 4 hours.

The guy who bought it was looking for exactly this configuration, and dropped everything when he saw my CL post.

I believe in full disclosure, and told him the reason for selling. He looked at the frame, and said he could fix it. IIRC, he was an engineer and professional welder.

Hopefully that truck is still on the road. I do a double take when I see one, thinking it may be my old truck. :)

Arclight

SAR guy
That truck is in my opinion, the perfect size for a family/couple's off-road vehicle. You can sleep in the 6.5' bed comfortably and still park it, unlike the GEN2 Tundra. Given the prices y'all are reporting, I don't feel too bad for buying a clean T100 and rebuilding the motor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior